Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

well if you REALLY want to enjoy survivor you need to start with expedition robinson, furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for all the info. Starting to get a bit lost now with all the suggestions and having to consider seasons that lead into seasons haha. You all have good memories for all these details.

Once upon a time this show was incredibly memorable.

The good thing about starting really old is you don’t need to do homework. Pearl Islands is probably your best bet overall

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

mp5 posted:

Once upon a time this show was incredibly memorable.

Yeah, it's funny, I can still rattle off/remember minute details from Borneo through Heroes vs. Villains, and then after that everything is mostly a weird blur

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for all the info. Starting to get a bit lost now with all the suggestions and having to consider seasons that lead into seasons haha. You all have good memories for all these details.

These folks are incredible remembers. A few years ago I did a full rewatch (or first watch in many cases) from season 1 and I was constantly blown away when I'd Kramer in and be like "augh the dingus with the big mouth keeps loving up the plan for the alliance with the shrimpy guy and the fake cop" and someone would immediately be like "oh you mean Jantara and Cletus and Pibb, yeah on a podcast she said the producers encouraged them all to try the pain box to get tested and put everyone on edge"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

These folks are incredible remembers. A few years ago I did a full rewatch (or first watch in many cases) from season 1 and I was constantly blown away when I'd Kramer in and be like "augh the dingus with the big mouth keeps loving up the plan for the alliance with the shrimpy guy and the fake cop" and someone would immediately be like "oh you mean Jantara and Cletus and Pibb, yeah on a podcast she said the producers encouraged them all to try the pain box to get tested and put everyone on edge"

There was a time when they treated Survivor contestants like actual celebrities. The night they were booted from the island, they appeared as guests on Letterman, and the next morning they'd appear on the CBS Morning Show. They'd often even go on a bit of a press tour, or would appear in tabloids. Many would get guest parts on TV shows, or cameos (and even starring roles) in movies, season 1's Ramona was even one of the hosts of MTV's The Challenge the year after she played, specifically because she was on Survivor, even though she was the 4th boot. It was easy to remember the players' names back then.

In modern Survivor, because of the waning cultural influence, and because of the modern editing, by the end of a season, unless they were a particularly memorable player, I can barely even remember anybody who was voted out prior to the merge.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

They found Jantara, Cletus, and Pibb at the same Santa Monica bar on the same night

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We don't even get live reunions properly anymore. Even Vanderbeek Rules gets reunion episodes and afaik there is no game at all, just people who already hang out together?!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The star of Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 and Dawson's Creek unfortunately does not have a reality show where he hangs out with his friends.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m kinda glad they don’t do the big finale shows anymore, they drag on forever if they’re live.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They got shittier over time, too. They did start out bad with celebrity guest hosts, but when Probst took over it was okay and fun for a while. Everybody got at least one turn to speak, etc. It just devolved over the years until half of the cast of Caramoan wasn't even invited onstage.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Remembering back to when Jerri got booed off the stage at the All-Stars reunion for merely speaking some real-rear end truths about reality TV exploitation

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The current finale "reunion" format is way worse than the old way. Nobody able to reflect on things they saw on the finished TV show or what they've been up to since the show filmed, the people who just lost the game usually pretty rattled because they, you know, just lost the game...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Them getting little Caesars looking pizza is also just LOL. Pizza gonna gently caress me up if I'm back at home but I can't imagine the suffering from greasy rear end pizza after a monthlong rice fast. I think I'd want a big salad with chicken, not grease and milk experiments.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The reunions were boring in 39 and they're boring now lol

Khanstant posted:

We don't even get live reunions properly anymore. Even Vanderbeek Rules gets reunion episodes and afaik there is no game at all, just people who already hang out together?!

That's because the Vanderpump Rules reunions can be incredible

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
They are letting Yanu possibly get down to 2?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wow, I did not see the green tribe losing here. Edit (Jem reading the full clue saying if they never lost, there’d be new beware instructions) got me totally. Might have just been getting that info out in advance for Hunter.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

wilderthanmild posted:

They are letting Yanu possibly get down to 2?

lol nah the RNG elements of the challenge prevented a total Yanu blowout

Gotta find the right key for the lock, oh wow look at that

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Journey quiz is validating the “watch pearl islands” team

(And spoiling multiple prior seasons, fyi)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh yeah I should say my watch 15-20 idea I still think is pretty cool but Pearl Islands is a top season

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
(faintly, gently) tiiiikiiii maaan.....

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, that was fun getting a tribe other than Yanu for a change.

I think Jem was pretty clumsy at the game. Her uncomfortable chats with some of the guys probably is what tipped Maria to letting her go. Even her saying she was going to go idol hunt, it was ballsy and it worked and got her the idol but it seemed kind of weird to do.

Venus seemed pretty awkward too in her interaction with Hunter. Breaching strategy chat sometimes is just hard. It seems like Q was successful with it though with people he only just met!

Interesting call for Maria not to tell Mo about the vote… I feel like you wanna do that….

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Really astute of Maria to

1. Immediately use the extra vote so it’s not folded over a million times and obviously different from the other votes
2. Vote for the same person twice, in different handwriting, and writing different iterations of the name
3. Use the vote to make a total of six votes, so the only people who absolutely know for a fact that anything was amiss are Ben and Maria

Pretty good!

mp5 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 28, 2024

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good episode, feels like the season finally put itself into Drive. The producers and editors were probably giddy after that challenge. Things seem really open now going forward too.

The vote style change up was good on Maria’s part, not sure it was really worth to play the extra vote though. Was she really hedging that the guys may not vote Jem? Saving it for merge seems like it might have had more value.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 28, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was funny watching Jem just like stand there with a devilish grin while everyone else on the tribe dug around the tree. That had to be when their collective radar went off that something was wrong. Her subterfuge was fun but it was so satisfying to see it backfire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Teek posted:

The producers and editors were probably giddy after that challenge.

The extended dramatic slow motion was awesome to see after watching a behind the scenes about how those are made. They're very proud of their effects work :3:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CJacobs posted:

It was funny watching Jem just like stand there with a devilish grin while everyone else on the tribe dug around the tree. That had to be when their collective radar went off that something was wrong. Her subterfuge was fun but it was so satisfying to see it backfire.

Yeah we only saw it for a second but Tim absolutely had it figured out and that probably meant the bridge was burned

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Her lying wasn't that strong either. "What? What beware advantage?" She did get around to the direct denials after that but it was a stumble. I feel like so often people either don't just deny directly at all, instead saying something like "How could you even ask that?" or they go "What??" as their initial few replies before getting around to answering. I mean, an honest person can be incredulous and say "what" but it ought to be followed by an "absolutely not" and not a need for the other person to clarify something obvious they just said, as if they haven't all been digging for the beware advantage for days. "What beware advantage" nah. So if Tim is already suspecting her and then she starts going around saying "so who are you voting for I uhh need to know" that's a tipoff. Even more than that, though, even if they still think Tim had it, we saw Maria telling Charlie that "Jem will stick with us," and if Charlie can then say back, "You know she came to all the men and said she'd vote with us if we gave her a name?" Then it's kind of like, "okay forget it, let's keep Ben." I actually thought Ben was gonna be the one to go and was thinking how unlucky he was since I hadn't seen him do much wrong. Jem earned it more and got it.

Teek posted:

The vote style change up was good on Maria’s part, not sure it was really worth to play the extra vote though. Was she really hedging that the guys may not vote Jem? Saving it for merge seems like it might have had more value.
I thought Maria playing the extra vote made sense when she first said she was going to, because I thought it was part of that split vote plan. Yeah I don't see any reason to use it on Jem to get it to 4-2 instead of 3-2. And she really should've told Moriah too--now WE know Jem had an idol so if it trickled back it's risky, but if she just said hey look, Charlie is still 100% with us and will vote out a dude next time but Jem is sketching everyone out so I'm going to vote her this time to keep everyone feeling good... then you could have the whole tribe feeling better about each other heading into merge.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dude, I would burn that extra vote so fast it ain't even funny. You've been on the journey, people either know or suspect you have it, just get rid of it before you do yourself any more harm by having it, especially if it accomplishes what you want that tribal.

Edit: and after numbering all those seasons from memory I'm befuddled that Hunter devoted his entire drat garage to making Survivor challenges for kids and can't get the seasons in order. Might scout reddit to see what he got wrong out of curiosity and schadenfreude.

You're on my fantasy team, man! :negative:

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 28, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

marias playing really well but that jem blindside completely beat my rear end in fantasy, pretty sure my seasons done now lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man i hope bhanu is on season 3 of The Traitors

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He would be the most faithful of the faithful.

In other words, useless.

In other words, not getting murdered.

In summation, having some claim to the prize pot until he inevitably fails to ascertain the final traitor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

Dude, I would burn that extra vote so fast it ain't even funny. You've been on the journey, people either know or suspect you have it, just get rid of it before you do yourself any more harm by having it, especially if it accomplishes what you want that tribal.

Edit: and after numbering all those seasons from memory I'm befuddled that Hunter devoted his entire drat garage to making Survivor challenges for kids and can't get the seasons in order. Might scout reddit to see what he got wrong out of curiosity and schadenfreude.

I think my fantasy is donezo, I picked a lot of losers lol.

And I'm with om you on using the extra vote, especially these days.

My gut tells me the best policy is almost always "use em if ya got em" when it comes to all the trinkets. For every player that did something brilliant with dragging some idol or advantage to the end, there is 3 who went home with one in their pocket, or got themselves targeted or in a bad spot because they had it at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

im not trying to be gatekeepy but it felt like to me he was one of the millions who discovered survivor during the pandemic and didnt exactly get to see the seasons as they happened, so to him they're just random seasons

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i def think anyone from this thread would have smoked that challenge in maybe one or two minutes tho

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STING 64 posted:

i def think anyone from this thread would have smoked that challenge in maybe one or two minutes tho

I paused the TV and tried, but got some wrong from the early seasons. If I had the physical ones and could move them around, it would have been easier

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

STING 64 posted:

im not trying to be gatekeepy but it felt like to me he was one of the millions who discovered survivor during the pandemic and didnt exactly get to see the seasons as they happened, so to him they're just random seasons

I think according to him his Survivor watching pre-dates the pandemic by a few years, but yeah he wasn't watching as it aired, his college roommate was just really into it and started showing him seasons that weren't in order.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love a blindside where the victim is clearly seething about it and not looking back to go "great move guys!" Doesn't happen enough these days, she looked like she couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Probably a lot harder to take it on the chin when you have an idol in your pocket you could've played.

STING 64 posted:

I know i would've gotten some of them wrong. like the middle era, Cook Islands, Guatemala, Panama, etc, whichever were in the challenge, I don't remember the order there! and I did watch chronologically, but we're talking a decade plus ago and I haven't rewatched or sat around studying it. Actually I thought Thailand came before Marquesas so I would've even gotten one of the easier, very early ones wrong. And i'm on here posting about Survivor all the time and playing online Survivor games!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I could've gotten 1-21 pretty easily. 22-24 all blend together, I always remember Philippines is 25 for some reason. 26-38 would've been a problem.

Also am I just burnt out on this season or was that episode boring as hell? I would normally love a good blindside but it didn't feel very well-developed.

Poque fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I might have been able to do it except I read Samoa and my brain instantly confused it for Palau.