Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The scenes of her in the water boasting about being rich and how she's "kind of awesome" were all early days, and remembering she's allergic to coconuts and that they don't give them rice or anything, I think she's getting basically no calories and so now just lays there. When everyone else was running around looking for Randen's idol, she didn't bother. When everyone on the split camp was running around scheming like crazy the only scene we got of her she was just laying there cooking in the sun when Tevin approached her. In short I think she's dying and I think that's been good for her game.

anyway preview for next ep shows her being mad at Tevin so maybe we'll get some new content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
She's my randomized pick for a survivor pool and I strongly dislike her but I'm hopeful.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I do not see anything entertaining or endearing about Liz. She doesn’t do anything. Her bragging and claim of being a rich online business entrepreneur were really off-putting. The cockiness of not bringing her bag to tribal is another knock against her. Not sure why Liz didn’t like Soda.

Anyways, not a great season. I don’t really care about superfans stuff or Survivor self references. No real standout players. The weird bullying of Jess and miserable Bhanu were not good starts to the season. Venus is trying so hard but no one wants to work with her. She is not good at talking to people. It also kinda felt like some of Venus’ interruptions at tribal were edited in out of context? Q is also pretty aggressive but doing a better job. Tiff, Tevin, and Hunter seem alright.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Without specific spoilers, is there an archetype that wins more often? Does the strong physical guy that everyone is always afraid of ever win? Is it usually the fly under the radar, agree with others player that wins?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

KingKapalone posted:

Without specific spoilers, is there an archetype that wins more often? Does the strong physical guy that everyone is always afraid of ever win? Is it usually the fly under the radar, agree with others player that wins?

Strong physical guys are usually the immediate targets at the merge because people fear immunity runs. Also true now because by now everyone on that show knows what kind of players Probst favors.

Offhand I can think of one season in the 20s (-----------Cagayan) and one in the 30s (----------Worlds Apart) where a big Physical Beef Boy won, but there might be a couple others.

The traits of the winning survivor player vary from season to season, ideally, because ideally the cast and their makeup and what they value varies from season to season (another thing we kind of lost in the New Era).

In very general terms though, it’s always been about getting people to like you more—or hate you less—than the person you sit next to. So anyone who is described as a good “social” player has a decent shot, because people like them.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 13, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Weird about Soda that she seemed good socially and didn’t seem to really ever do anything seriously wrong but she did not have a single player on her tribe who wanted to keep her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Weird about Soda that she seemed good socially and didn’t seem to really ever do anything seriously wrong but she did not have a single player on her tribe who wanted to keep her.

Was she good socially? It seemed like almost everybody couldn't stand her behavior out there, and didn't trust her.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Yellow Ant posted:

I do not see anything entertaining or endearing about Liz. She doesn’t do anything. Her bragging and claim of being a rich online business entrepreneur were really off-putting. The cockiness of not bringing her bag to tribal is another knock against her. Not sure why Liz didn’t like Soda.

Not taking the bag wasn't cockiness, it was selling the "this is an easy Charlie vote" to Soda so she wouldn't play her shot in the dark.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Kenzie’s tearful speech about how she’d never treat another human like a freak show loser pariah over mental health falls kind of flat when she absolutely treated Bhanu like that.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

TheCenturion posted:

Kenzie’s tearful speech about how she’d never treat another human like a freak show loser pariah over mental health falls kind of flat when she absolutely treated Bhanu like that.

Lol I hadn't thought of that. Dude was in the worst state of panic attack. Genuinely just felt bad for him.

E: that said he absolutely had to go home for that reason

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nihonniboku posted:

Was she good socially? It seemed like almost everybody couldn't stand her behavior out there, and didn't trust her.

I thought there was a bit earlier on about how she was running off having 1-on-1 conversations with everybody on the tribe, hence the trust issue since nobody knew what she was promising everybody else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soda seemed like she fell victim to “too obviously social so is a threat to her scheming partners.” It didn’t help that she seemed to ice out Venus so much but Venus clearly plays too hard and seems to have a bit of “if everyone you meet is a X then maybe you…”

With Soda it feels like maybe she underplayed. Thinking she was comfortable with her social game and allies so going a bit on cruise control while others saw her as a threat/lynchpin.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Soda seemed like she fell victim to “too obviously social so is a threat to her scheming partners.” It didn’t help that she seemed to ice out Venus so much but Venus clearly plays too hard and seems to have a bit of “if everyone you meet is a X then maybe you…”

With Soda it feels like maybe she underplayed. Thinking she was comfortable with her social game and allies so going a bit on cruise control while others saw her as a threat/lynchpin.

Reading her interview, it sounds like she was Oversocial, realized she wasn't trusted, then tried to ice out Venus to win her way back into the tribe. She should've doubled down with Venus tbqh, but hard to predict that she wouldn't go to tribal until Mergatory.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TheCenturion posted:

I think she was fine to Bhanu. He comes over and is like “coach me Kenzie!” and she’s like “not right now Bhanu” and he goes running off crying into the woods. And then she tracks him down and says sorry! I mean I’m sure it sucks when you’re on the outs and you really want to be there but that’s the game. Just because Bhanu is melting down all the time from the game doesn’t mean Kenzie was being mean to him

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Kenzie was kind of a dick to Jess but Bhanu deserved everything he got.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kenzie along with the others had a really arrogant “do I have to teach you how to do everything?” attitude. Bhanu was of course very lost but that doesn’t mean you have a right to be condescending and cruel. And they were. They were also very arrogant. Which was crazy considering how badly things were going but it seemed clear they allowed themselves to feel superior to Bhanu and Jess to satisfy and feed their egos.

Now a lot of that can be group think. Everyone’s tired and hungry and frustrated and etc. So maybe Kenzie and the others just weren’t at their best. It doesn’t excuse their behavior but it means they can be better. Q feels like he’s showing he just is a bossy arrogant know it all. Kenzie seems like she’s showing her social abilities and adaptability more.

I’m not quite over Kenzie or anyone else’s behavior through the first part of this game. But nothing was really unforgivable and people aren’t all one thing.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah it feels like they want us to forget how Jess and Bhanu were treated but like, that really sucked to watch, and it certainly impacts the rest of the season

It didn’t suck as bad as the worst Survivor has gotten in its past but still

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm on team Jess was bullied; Bhanu was treated fairly.

In exit press, Jess talked about legitimately connecting with people over building the shelter, but I think Kenzie kneejerked at her initial overexcitement* and saw her as a dead weight she needed to get rid of. But that whole fake idol thing, that was as bad as Sugar with Bob's fake idol against Randy in Gabon, and it was so poorly played that Jess wasn't even remotely tricked, she just played along to keep the peace.

With Bhanu, the popular kids more or less seemed to let him in when they turned against Jelinsky. If he'd kept his cool, what we saw in the edit showed that he really might have had a chance against Kenzie in a Yanu final four situation. But he had no strategic game and he was aggressively obnoxious to be around in a situation where the other people on your beach consume your daily life.

*Jess apparently pounced Kenzie as soon a they got off the boat all like "I'VE SEEN YOU AROUND PONDEROSA YOU SEEM SO COOL I'VE BEEN WANTING TO WORK WITH YOU SO BAD!"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This hide and seek segment is amazing.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
This alliance is holding together well

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Q hitting big character highs not seen since the likes of Coach here. I loved the Qskirt(?), the extremely serious interpretations of people's hide and seek skills, but it's gotten better still now with him targeting Tiff. This man is a legend.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i see it's a quiet night in our thread tonight oh well. I'll live post anyway.
Charlie seemed like a loser because he made Taylor Swift his personality but actually he's pretty funny. Last week getting the city alphabet game wrong on purpose and this week asking for rice while he's about to drop. Good stuff. Hunter honestly shouldn't have even competed in this challenge but that was a peacockingly dominant win...

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Such an iconic challenge though, it would be hard to not win it if you had the chance to.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Q, nobody ever seems to do what you want to do lol

Edit: Did Liz just say she hadn't pooped the whole time?

Edit again: OMG WTF

Edit: This was kinda stupid, but got kinda fun eventually.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 18, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

During all this, nobody, not even Q, tells Tevin it was going to be him? Like Q is ostensibly quitting for Tevin right??

Jelinsky full vindication. Q is the original quitter!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
All that for the same result lol

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
Well that was much ado about nothing

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I mean good for them, you should not uproot your plans because someone suddenly decided they wanted to be voted out

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

and yet he voted Tevin??? What the hell at least Hunter didn't vote for the man

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Q is one of the more confusing people we've seen on this show in awhile lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kudos to Liz for having the guts to whip up a vote against THE SIX

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I take back all the negative things I said about the season earlier on.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

great episode

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rip everyone who had teveral as their winner pick

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Q is a complete chaos elemental

Why does everyone want him to stay? Because he's funny at camp sometimes?

Bonkers poo poo this season

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Popero posted:

I take back all the negative things I said about the season earlier on.

Yeah this is actually really fun, Q is insane and I love it. Mad respect to him threatening to quit just to destroy an entire vote and stop someone from being able to claim a move he had nothing to do with.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
bizarro tribal council, I was convinced that was about to turn on v and then Q did that and then ????????

and literally everything Liz did this week from turning the votes to talking about her big ego to talking about having apparently not pooped at all

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
VENUS IS THE MASTERMIND

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Q is my favorite character this season. I'm not sure if he's terrible at Survivor or great at it, but he's great to watch lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Q is basically Venus at this point