Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Godamn they really don’t even try with the pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Good god

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Godamn they really don’t even try with the pizza.

they literally never have, it rules

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jeff gives them the option of a fish eye or survivor pizza and they all choose fish eyes

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Flatbread covered in butter and hot dog slices, served on a plastic leaf.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At this point it must be on purpose. Time for a Papa John’s endorsed episode.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think it's just that they're using local chefs who know of pizza from American movies and TV but it's never really played a prominent role in their lives. So you ask them to make some pizza and they have no loving clue what normally goes on pizza, so you get weird poo poo like whole green olives and hot dog slices and chunks of broccoli, and then you leave it out in the sun for a couple hours while Jeff does a few takes and you get these monstrosities.

Although after 15 days of eating nothing but papaya and rice I'd still absolutely gently caress up that "pizza"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
More rice and papaya for me!!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think it's just that they're using local chefs who know of pizza from American movies and TV but it's never really played a prominent role in their lives. So you ask them to make some pizza and they have no loving clue what normally goes on pizza, so you get weird poo poo like whole green olives and hot dog slices and chunks of broccoli, and then you leave it out in the sun for a couple hours while Jeff does a few takes and you get these monstrosities.

Although after 15 days of eating nothing but papaya and rice I'd still absolutely gently caress up that "pizza"

Rice??? In the new era??

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Propaganda Machine posted:

Taylor Swift doesn't have time to watch TV. She doesn't even watch her boyfriend on TV, just goes to games and calls security to make Kanye go away.

Travis definitely watches trashy reality shows though

STING 64 posted:

i def think anyone from this thread would have smoked that challenge in maybe one or two minutes tho

I could do the first season. Probably. I basically have a non-existent memory for this show.

Just watched all the episodes and jfc how can Bhanu call himself a fan? Keeping stuff to yourself seems like rule #1 on this show. You need strategy. The only thing he seemed capable of lying about was that he isn't an actor (and possibly his origin story). Yelling at God for not helping him especially annoyed me; what if everyone else is praying, too? God gonna let everyone win because they all asked?

Ben is who I vibe with most but I don't see him going far. I like Hunter as well, he seems like a good egg despite being from small-town Mississippi (I'm nervous he's going to do something dumb to change that post-season, though). I like Liz's weird energy. Q isn't as bad as I expected from a dude who constantly talks about his school football days. I looked into "#2 real estate agent" thing and it seems fishy, even if it's a title he has legit been given (for selling 307 homes in one year).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

Just watched all the episodes and jfc how can Bhanu call himself a fan?
I assume he watches and enjoys the show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't really see it. They are on a Fiji island resort. I can't imagine the chefs have no idea how to actually cook a pizza or american comfort food.

But year after 15 days, it's like finding the cold pizza the next morning, but multiplied by 2 weeks. You don't care what's on it. It's a pizza and pizza always comes through.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Literally paused to see if I could do it, mixed up Fiji and Cook Islands and HvHvH and David v Goliath. For someone who also watches seasons out of order, I'm pretty proud.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I assume he watches and enjoys the show.

He doesn't seem to grasp the basics of how the show works, though, which most people get an idea for after watching 45 seasons of a show?

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
What if I told you people can enjoy a thing that you enjoy but actually enjoy it for different reasons than you enjoy it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

He doesn't seem to grasp the basics of how the show works, though, which most people get an idea for after watching 45 seasons of a show?

Just because you watch something doesn’t mean you’ll be good at it or have a great understanding of its nuances. That’s the fallacy of the superfan. “I know this show so much I’d be great at it!” Sometimes you just like a thing for whatever reason. Bhanu probably has more in common with the majority of Survivor viewers than like the people who keep spreadsheets of testimonial time to decipher the winner.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bhanu probably can't read an edgic chart, and for that he is better

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Thinking about going on Survivor and being put on a tribe of all Max Dawsons and just walking into the ocean, never to return

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Studio posted:

Bhanu probably can't read an edgic chart, and for that he is better

Amen.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Poque posted:

Thinking about going on Survivor and being put on a tribe of all Max Dawsons and just walking into the ocean, never to return

SURVIVOR: DAWSONS VS FOLEYS VS RODNEYS

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Studio posted:

SURVIVOR: DAWSONS VS FOLEYS VS RODNEYS

Just a historically unpleasant cast, lmao

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Just because you watch something doesn’t mean you’ll be good at it or have a great understanding of its nuances. That’s the fallacy of the superfan. “I know this show so much I’d be great at it!” Sometimes you just like a thing for whatever reason. Bhanu probably has more in common with the majority of Survivor viewers than like the people who keep spreadsheets of testimonial time to decipher the winner.

I am the complete opposite of a superfan. I am not talking about superfan stuff here. There is a world of difference between casually liking/enjoying a show for whatever reason and going far enough to be on the show, and I think even the vast majority (I clearly can't say all) of casual watchers understand that you need to be able to lie and keep things secret. "Outwit" and "outplay" are 2/3 of the motto on the logo and he attempted neither of those. It's basically akin to not understanding you will actually be living on a beach. They're basic fundamentals of how the show works.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
“Self-professed Survivor super fan actually sucks at Survivor” is a pretty strong trope of the show at this point, I’m not sure why Bhanu is any worse than any of the rest of them

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Brandon the second boot superfan from last season had a fantastic sense of humor regarding how bad he was. Bhanu still seems to think he won some kind of moral victory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

I am the complete opposite of a superfan. I am not talking about superfan stuff here. There is a world of difference between casually liking/enjoying a show for whatever reason and going far enough to be on the show, and I think even the vast majority (I clearly can't say all) of casual watchers understand that you need to be able to lie and keep things secret. "Outwit" and "outplay" are 2/3 of the motto on the logo and he attempted neither of those. It's basically akin to not understanding you will actually be living on a beach. They're basic fundamentals of how the show works.

I think "knowing" you have to lie and actually doing it in the moment are two different things. A savvier player might have even made a lot of the same decisions Bhanu did like trying to win trust with other tribes by selling out the members of his tribe who have no loyalty to him. They probably wouldn't have gone back and then told their tribemates they did it though. And Bhanu just seemed overwhelmed and lacking confidence in his decisions and ultimately just unable to embrace the whole "lying" thing, And that doesn't strike me as "knowing the game." Its just being human.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I had asked about old seasons to watch so we started Pearl Islands. I was watching in 2003 so I've seen this one since I remember Rupert and kind of Fairplay, but I definitely don't remember any of the antics that they started the season with. SD looks like rear end on a 77" 4K OLED and their microphones suck, but all good.

I see what people here or on reddit mean when they say the survival aspects of the show aren't really present anymore. I can't even really recall people on the current season eating or talking about food much at all except for the recent food reward.

I obviously don't know what other seasons did yet, but why did the move away from the more unique things that Pearl Islands had right away like the opener or the stealing of other tribe's stuff? That fit the pirate theme of course and maybe the flint stealing after the challenge now is a bit of that, but I see that's controversial on reddit too.

The first challenge to haul the cannon sure was different too. Just one course, sort of asymmetrical, almost all physical. I suppose having a balance of dexterity, puzzle, and strength like they have now does give more balance, but I'm getting that fans don't like the repetition.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KingKapalone posted:

I see what people here or on reddit mean when they say the survival aspects of the show aren't really present anymore. I can't even really recall people on the current season eating or talking about food much at all except for the recent food reward.

They stopped making the players boil water after Survivor 32 Kaoh Rong after multiple players collapsed due to severe heat exhaustion during a challenge in which one player was actually medically evacuated. After that, they now provide the players with potable water.

With that, the need for fire was less of a focus since they didn't need to boil.

Then with the new era, if they lose challenges, their flint gets taken away, so they can't even make fire. With the game being only 26 days now, players are saying they don't even bother making fire.

KingKapalone posted:

I obviously don't know what other seasons did yet, but why did the move away from the more unique things that Pearl Islands had right away like the opener or the stealing of other tribe's stuff? That fit the pirate theme of course and maybe the flint stealing after the challenge now is a bit of that, but I see that's controversial on reddit too.

They continued to have raiding the other camp as a reward for challenges for many seasons, but not every season. I don't recall the last time they did that. But you're right, a big part of that was the theme for that season, and we haven't had a specific theme in the new era, so every season is allowed to blend together.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

This happened in a few steps. Up until season 30 or so, they moved around a lot. They'd film in Africa, in Latin America, in the Pacific, in China, and they'd be able to draw on the local area for the theming of the season. They'd often film two seasons back-to-back in the same location, like Pearl Islands and All-Stars, and that let them do one season themed on the locale, followed by another season with a different theme, often based on a gameplay twist.

Since 2016, they've always filmed in the same place. At first they tried theming the seasons in different ways, based on casting or gameplay twists, with various degrees of success. A lot of the twists they'd been trying had been dumb so it's not that shocking that they'd fall flat.

In the New Era, 41-onwards, they just... stopped trying to differentiate seasons at all. It's inexplicable and they're not doubt about to stop doing that really soon because how can they not see that it's failing, but it is what it is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

In the New Era, 41-onwards, they just... stopped trying to differentiate seasons at all. It's inexplicable and they're not doubt about to stop doing that really soon because how can they not see that it's failing, but it is what it is.

What Jeff is claiming is that while the players didn't quite get the new era first, 6 seasons into the new era, they're now starting to get it and that we should see some really good gameplay this season. I don't know if I buy it. Jeff, as part of his job, always hypes up every season as the greatest yet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

What Jeff is claiming is that while the players didn't quite get the new era first, 6 seasons into the new era, they're now starting to get it and that we should see some really good gameplay this season. I don't know if I buy it. Jeff, as part of his job, always hypes up every season as the greatest yet.

I mean there's the specific gameplay formula they have, but also just get Jeffrey a samurai costume at Spirit Halloween, add some wind instruments to the soundtrack, and have him say platitudes about honour for season 48. Anything but the exact same theming please.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mean there's the specific gameplay formula they have, but also just get Jeffrey a samurai costume at Spirit Halloween, add some wind instruments to the soundtrack, and have him say platitudes about honour for season 48. Anything but the exact same theming please.

this would own lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they did go kind of medieval europe a couple seasons ago

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nihonniboku posted:

They continued to have raiding the other camp as a reward for challenges for many seasons, but not every season. I don't recall the last time they did that. But you're right, a big part of that was the theme for that season, and we haven't had a specific theme in the new era, so every season is allowed to blend together.

I think Kaleb did it last season

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

KingKapalone posted:

The first challenge to haul the cannon sure was different too. Just one course, sort of asymmetrical, almost all physical. I suppose having a balance of dexterity, puzzle, and strength like they have now does give more balance, but I'm getting that fans don't like the repetition.

The repetition sucks, but also -- you don't need to make every challenge a perfect balance. A balance can be achieved with one purely physical challenge, one purely dextrous challenge, and one pure intelligence challenge. That's still balance!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

KingKapalone posted:

The first challenge to haul the cannon sure was different too.

Morgan Behind

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

KingKapalone posted:

They stopped doing it because it’s cheaper, basically. The show doesn’t have the stranglehold over popculture it once did so they use that as an excuse to tighten the belt.

And the challenges now are more “balanced” yeah, but that also makes them samey and bland. Pearl Islands and China especially have stellar challenges that are also incredibly thematic. I really miss the goofy stuff from the older seasons (not the Blair Witch camcorder poo poo though lol)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have a vague memory of someone who lost their flint was making fire anyway but I could totally have imagined that.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

mp5 posted:

They stopped doing it because it’s cheaper, basically. The show doesn’t have the stranglehold over popculture it once did so they use that as an excuse to tighten the belt.

And the challenges now are more “balanced” yeah, but that also makes them samey and bland. Pearl Islands and China especially have stellar challenges that are also incredibly thematic. I really miss the goofy stuff from the older seasons (not the Blair Witch camcorder poo poo though lol)

Love that China had a challenge that Courtney won basically by being skinny.

Survivor is surprisingly decent at securing good for the current state of TV ratings. And yes, it is relatively cheap to produce.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

survivor is the hottest its been since its initial run in the early 2000s, despite complaints about perceived quality of the show. it's got more eyes on it now than any other point in the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STING 64 posted:

survivor is the hottest its been since its initial run in the early 2000s, despite complaints about perceived quality of the show. it's got more eyes on it now than any other point in the last 20 years.

Maybe people are watching back seasons more or whatever but the two lowest years for Survivor season viewership are the 2022-2023 seasons, followed by the 2023-2024 seasons.

Wikipedia has the same-day ratings and +7 average viewership ratings. They've both fallen off a cliff.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 2, 2024