Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Khanstant posted:

"last I checked, several means 7, not four"

What the gently caress is he thinking? I guess several and seven share the first four letters, but I thought everyone understood that couple is 2, a few is 3, and several is more than 3 - the minimum being 4.

I mean, I was taught that:

a couple = 2
a few = 3
some = 4
a bunch = 5-6
several = 7

Here it starts to get a bit more ambiguous
many = 8-9
lots = ~10-50
a shitload = ~50-100
a fuckton = ~100-1000
a metric fuckton = 1000+

Now, as to the buckets, I feel like they could have at least stopgapped the holes with their buffs, or maybe put the two buckets together and made sure the holes didn't line up, or something, then take turns relaying the one bucket. They looked like they were getting there with less than half a bucket each, but yeah, it's real easy to theorize from the couch while snarfing down popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

None of those numbers are that exact, that’s why we have words for the exact number

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

inferis posted:

None of those numbers are that exact, that’s why we have words for the exact number

Yet, oddly enough, we do insist that words like 'a pair' or 'a trio' or 'a quartet' are, in fact, the exact number, despite having the words 'two,' 'three,' 'four,' and so on.

Maybe 'several = seven' is a regional thing?

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The generational impact of someone's great grandparent incorrectly thinking that several means seven and just making their family think this forever is funny at least

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, I was taught that:

a couple = 2
a few = 3
some = 4
a bunch = 5-6
several = 7

Here it starts to get a bit more ambiguous
many = 8-9
lots = ~10-50
a shitload = ~50-100
a fuckton = ~100-1000
a metric fuckton = 1000+

Now, as to the buckets, I feel like they could have at least stopgapped the holes with their buffs, or maybe put the two buckets together and made sure the holes didn't line up, or something, then take turns relaying the one bucket. They looked like they were getting there with less than half a bucket each, but yeah, it's real easy to theorize from the couch while snarfing down popcorn.
My understanding as a youngster when I was intent on attaching specific numbers to these words was that a couple generally means 2, a few is 3-4, and several is like 5-8 or something--maybe even "around 7." As an adult I definitely definitely know several doesn't mean "exactly 7" but I sort of agree, actually, that "4 hours" is fewer than I'd expect if I was told I'd have "several hours" for something.

But what's so funny is that Jelinsky was reaching for this excuse in the first place, like he'd done an occular assessment of the task and a mental calculation so that he knew exactly how long it would take before even starting and seeing the buckets in action, and he knew ahead of time that he could affirmatively complete the challenge in "several" hours, hence his putting his hand up, but then they yanked the rug out from under him by making it 4.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheCenturion posted:

Yet, oddly enough, we do insist that words like 'a pair' or 'a trio' or 'a quartet' are, in fact, the exact number, despite having the words 'two,' 'three,' 'four,' and so on.

Because words like 'pentuplet' and so on kinda aren't commonly used outside of bands, despite being valid terms to specify 'five' and so on.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

'Slot machine salesman' is a Vegas specific euphemism for idiot, right?

jeff
Dec 1, 2002
huh
First impressions are Kenzie terrifies me on a primal level. And the 2 old men on the cast are only 41? I think Jemila, Ben, and Randen will be the final 3.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

That's because those words have different meanings. I have a "pair of cards" versus "I have two cards." If you look into a dining hall and see "a pair of students" versus "two students" those have different meanings, where the pair is you know, paired.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because words like 'pentuplet' and so on kinda aren't commonly used outside of bands, despite being valid terms to specify 'five' and so on.

What, you don't use words like 'octothorpe' in casual conversation?

Studio posted:

That's because those words have different meanings. I have a "pair of cards" versus "I have two cards." If you look into a dining hall and see "a pair of students" versus "two students" those have different meanings, where the pair is you know, paired.

Debatable. "I have a pair of sandwiches" means exactly the same thing as 'I have two sandwiches.' "A pair of students today presented a project on Left Handed Screwdrivers" and "Two students today presented a project on Left Handed Screwdrivers" means the same thing.

But on the other hand, you probably wouldn't refer to those two students as 'a group,' despite the fact that there can be a group of two, and a group project can have two workers on it.

Language is confusing and arbitrary.

Either way, he certainly will go down as a Survivor legend. Just not the kind of legend he wanted to be. See? There's that confusion again.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 4, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheCenturion posted:

What, you don't use words like 'octothorpe' in casual conversation?

Debatable. "I have a pair of sandwiches" means exactly the same thing as 'I have two sandwiches.' "A pair of students today presented a project on Left Handed Screwdrivers" and "Two students today presented a project on Left Handed Screwdrivers" means the same thing.

But on the other hand, you probably wouldn't refer to those two students as 'a group,' despite the fact that there can be a group of two, and a group project can have two workers on it.

Language is confusing and arbitrary.

Either way, he certainly will go down as a Survivor legend. Just not the kind of legend he wanted to be. See? There's that confusion again.

and another thing, why do they call them a "pair" of pants when you only have one!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

and another thing, why do they call them a "pair" of pants when you only have one!

It used to be that 'pants' were made up of two separate pieces, one for each leg. The current iteration where they are one single piece of clothing didn't come about til later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We should reclaim the freedom to wear only one pant

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

that's just a toga really

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sounds like a jrpg protagonist outfit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mp5 posted:

that's just a toga really

How do you wear your pants??

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

You said one pant, you didn’t say how big it had to be

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khanstant posted:

How do you wear your pants??

Up to my nipples.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I'll shift back to Deal or No Deal Island discussion to speak in favor of it... It's kinda fun! It's pretty stupid but it's fun enough and it's fun to watch Boston Rob do Boston Rob stuff on another show. A smarter call would have been airing it during the Survivor offseason, in my opinion, but... they didn't. But I enjoyed the second episode well enough! They made the silly Deal or No Deal portion shorter, at least.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Kim was on sequester, lmao

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Survivor Australia Season 3 was pretty awesome, that was maybe the most incredible final tribal and winner ever. I did not expect that at all, wow

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m so loving sick of the constant tears

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Talking about "big moves need to be made" in episode 2 lol. Why do people always fall into this so early?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Liz is so insufferable get over yourself!!!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

wilderthanmild posted:

Talking about "big moves need to be made" in episode 2 lol. Why do people always fall into this so early?

Blame Cagayan basically

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is curious what Liz's business is, it's this website that seems like some hustle culture marketing subscription BS focused on people who want to spam you.

https://lizwilcox.com/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jesus Christ

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jelinsky’s height would’ve been perfect for that challenge whereas Jess was struggling… but would he have had PERSISTENCE?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Poor Jess

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Jelinsky’s height would’ve been perfect for that challenge whereas Jess was struggling… but would he have had PERSISTENCE?

He does seem like a guy who would have given it his all during that difficult, strenuous challenge

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Man, I want Jess to magically get out of this. I hate this whole fake idol thing. It feels so mean and extra when you just like have the votes.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

When they were burying Jelinsky it was funny

This is not that

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

wilderthanmild posted:

Man, I want Jess to magically get out of this. I hate this whole fake idol thing. It feels so mean and extra when you just like have the votes.
Yeah you can just fake needing her for a 3-2 vote but SitD has people scared. It’s the game more than the players I guess, even if the idol seems unnecessary. Q keeps saying he’s in the middle but he already handed Jess a fake idol so idk. I feel like there was time for a scene with the green tribe here instead of getting so much of the clown show.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This tribal is fun at least.

Edit: actually kinda unbearable by the end. So weird.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They put 3 first boots in the same tribe!!!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
This was certainly an unpleasant episode of Survivor to watch!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol this cast is unhinged. I hope we’re in for as wild of a season as it seems

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I find it hard to blame Jess for not being an overhead press champion

I mean all three teams struggled, I don’t think they really blew it. Someone had to lose

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's been a while since the cast has had this many insane people on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Liz just randomly saying something like “I THINK SHE GOT CRUSHED” to nobody while Venus was talking about her foot killed me