Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just caught up. This season is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From the impression I get from Jess' post game interview besides the stress of the game, hunger, sleep deprivation, and losing its also just a bad vibe on that tribe from the majority. Kenzie and Co clearly think they're much better players than Jess and Bhanu and don't seem terribly shy about telling them such. Even that fake idol thing felt more like proving a point to Jess that she got outplayed and embarrassed than any real fear of the Shot in the Dark. So if you're constantly being told you suck by even your teammates going through the same miserable losing experience you go through then that's gonna take its toll. And Bhanu obviously isn't quite made for it in the first place emotionally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t really blame the producers for this. It’s just the result of having one tribe be a miserable, quasi bullying, losing mess while the other tribes are left to go camping and play the game hypothetically. Like I’m sure they knew Bhanu would be an emotional guy but they probably didn’t know he’d spend the entire time being wore down as his tribe mates loudly discuss how stupid he is. Or that he’d be preceded by Jess going through a condensed version of the same thing.

I wonder if the tribe will be more likable now that they don’t have someone to be a jerk to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think they're partially to blame for sticking Jess and Bhanu on the same tribe, though. Like okay, maybe you can't predict Jelinsky. But having one third of the tribe be trainwrecks is just setting the tribe up for disaster.

A tribe could deal with 1/6th of their tribe being an Abi-Maria. 1/3... less so.

I dunno. I mean sure you can reasonable see Bhanu is an emotional guy and probably even that he’s not much of a strategist or liar. But Jess was mostly just sleep deprived. She wasn’t clueless to the game or having emotional breakdowns. She just could never get her footing and her tribe were jerks about it.

And to some extent I think losing tribes just produce bad players. It’s a stressful game under the best of circumstances. If you’re not sleeping or eating. If you’re cold and have no fire. If you keep losing and have to keep going to tribal and get no relief. It’s gonna wear you down and make everything worse. Whether that’s driving an emotional guy like Bhanu into a breakdown or making someone like Jess never able to get a good nights sleep and reset or making Kenzie and Tiffany’s frustrations with everything process as them being condescending assholes to the weakest members of their tribe.

So I guess if I blame anyone/anything maybe it’s the whole thing where they take away their flint. That’s just more misery and stress on top of a situation that has enough.

Also I like Bhanu. I think he was a perfectly fine casting. It was just a miserable time watching him get broken down week after week with zero hope. Not good tv.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think what made this episode so bad in particular to people was that it was a rehash of Bhanu’s executioner walk from last week after some unconvincing tease of hope. The whole thing got dragged out making it much worse.

Compare to Jess who got out of there and was able to immediately do charming interviews.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like that was the inevitable result of the move though. It makes sense to rehide the thing. But like how do you think it’s gonna play out? It’s not a fake idol so if someone finds out it’s just gonna result in them going mad digging for something that doesn’t exist.

I think the situation was made a bit worse by them all searching together. But like I also think this is all another fallout of the tribe dynamics and the team that has suffered zero hardship being left to do nothing but invent scheming.

Like the yellow tribe hasn’t been to a tribal and they’ve already had like 3 or 4 alliance betrayals drama in their inner thoughts. They’re all low key losing their minds waiting for the game to start.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ultimately I think the problem is that modern Survivor is built so that there’s like a million micro stresses. No flint, shot in the dark, beware advantages, three tribes, nonnegotiable “journies” where you’re just gonna get screwed. It’s all designed to toss in stresses that can disrupt the game and create good tv. But when those things start adding up on the same tribe or player you just get a miserable time that feels on some level manipulated by production.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ben and Tim just seemed like they were in a much better position than Gem with multiple alliances and general positive vibes. Gem was reliant on the one untested womens alliance and she was clearly sketching people out. When push comes to shove if you can’t give a better reason than “we agreed to stick together nearly two weeks ago” then that’s probably gonna cost you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That being said I appreciate Gem if only for doing her full court press while wielding a machete.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

Just watched all the episodes and jfc how can Bhanu call himself a fan?
I assume he watches and enjoys the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

He doesn't seem to grasp the basics of how the show works, though, which most people get an idea for after watching 45 seasons of a show?

Just because you watch something doesn’t mean you’ll be good at it or have a great understanding of its nuances. That’s the fallacy of the superfan. “I know this show so much I’d be great at it!” Sometimes you just like a thing for whatever reason. Bhanu probably has more in common with the majority of Survivor viewers than like the people who keep spreadsheets of testimonial time to decipher the winner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Studio posted:

Bhanu probably can't read an edgic chart, and for that he is better

Amen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

I am the complete opposite of a superfan. I am not talking about superfan stuff here. There is a world of difference between casually liking/enjoying a show for whatever reason and going far enough to be on the show, and I think even the vast majority (I clearly can't say all) of casual watchers understand that you need to be able to lie and keep things secret. "Outwit" and "outplay" are 2/3 of the motto on the logo and he attempted neither of those. It's basically akin to not understanding you will actually be living on a beach. They're basic fundamentals of how the show works.

I think "knowing" you have to lie and actually doing it in the moment are two different things. A savvier player might have even made a lot of the same decisions Bhanu did like trying to win trust with other tribes by selling out the members of his tribe who have no loyalty to him. They probably wouldn't have gone back and then told their tribemates they did it though. And Bhanu just seemed overwhelmed and lacking confidence in his decisions and ultimately just unable to embrace the whole "lying" thing, And that doesn't strike me as "knowing the game." Its just being human.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This episode definitely felt like a turnaround for me. I was even kind of liking the purples at least until Q defaulted back into his very unearned “here’s how you play the game” attitude. Tiffany and Kenzie both seemed like they did a better job just kind of playing “not me”.

Which I do think is how these first tribals tend to go. And Venus was certainly overplaying trying to push an agenda instead of just trying to save herself. Mo definitely just trusted Sigma too long and probably should have scrambled even before the challenge instead of just trusting the “devil she knew”. Don’t stay on the bottom. You don’t have to turn everything around and have a new alliance in one vote. Just shake it up enough to better your position. Or at least give yourself a chance too.

But I only just realized the tribes outfits were color coded. So don’t listen to me. I’d be bad at this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed Q micromanaging an Alphabet game into chaos. I think they call that foreshadowing? Or a personality flaw?

I think I watched this episode two or three times in how much I rewinded segments. I just couldn’t keep track of what or why everyone was gaming the way they are. Kenzie seems to be doing an excellent job integrating into the whole so at least Q was right to peg her as a threat way back when. I’m sure there’s some other solid players in there like Ben or Maria. But man everyone is just all over the place and playing so hard.

The split tribe thing certainly makes it worse. Which is obviously by design so everyone can’t just settle into their numbers and you can actually get the nerve up to try a 3 person flip or something. But man it’s messy.

Edit: also amusing seeing Tevin so put out Venus was getting the juice for taking out Soda.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 11, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’d guess Tevin just felt like he did the work to target Soda. Whether he decided not to take the shot and was beat to the punch by Venus or he was casting some safety vote just in case. He felt it was his kill and clearly didn’t like Venus getting the credit.

Tevin seems destined to make some big dramatic move to prove he’s running the game and then be taken out the next week. I’d say the same for Q but I’m not sure he can get it together enough.

And I think the show just kind of definitely wants us to move on and forgive the 3 purples for any lovely behavior they had with Bhanu. I’m not sure the show ever really intended them to come off as villainous as they came off to me but so much as they did it definitely seems chalked up to the stress and emotion of losing.

Not that I necessarily buy that. Q is clearly still controlling and condescending and Kenzie has always been pegged as a very savvy social player. They just want us to forgive and forget that time they were kinda bullying Bhanu.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 11, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soda seemed like she fell victim to “too obviously social so is a threat to her scheming partners.” It didn’t help that she seemed to ice out Venus so much but Venus clearly plays too hard and seems to have a bit of “if everyone you meet is a X then maybe you…”

With Soda it feels like maybe she underplayed. Thinking she was comfortable with her social game and allies so going a bit on cruise control while others saw her as a threat/lynchpin.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kenzie along with the others had a really arrogant “do I have to teach you how to do everything?” attitude. Bhanu was of course very lost but that doesn’t mean you have a right to be condescending and cruel. And they were. They were also very arrogant. Which was crazy considering how badly things were going but it seemed clear they allowed themselves to feel superior to Bhanu and Jess to satisfy and feed their egos.

Now a lot of that can be group think. Everyone’s tired and hungry and frustrated and etc. So maybe Kenzie and the others just weren’t at their best. It doesn’t excuse their behavior but it means they can be better. Q feels like he’s showing he just is a bossy arrogant know it all. Kenzie seems like she’s showing her social abilities and adaptability more.

I’m not quite over Kenzie or anyone else’s behavior through the first part of this game. But nothing was really unforgivable and people aren’t all one thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ben absolutely nailed it. Q just has such a massive ego it’s full blown narcissism. He needs to be in control which is why he keeps turning on anyone for anything and reiterating that it’s his way. So for him the worst case scenario is the entire tribe making a decision without him and him having no say in the matter. And the need to take control is so much that he was even willing to sacrifice himself just to retake control. And he gets to at least go out playing the hero in his own mind.

Them all saying “gently caress you” and voting out Tevin anyway could well send him off the edge or something. Especially now that Tiff and Kenzie know he betrayed them. I have no idea how Q will manage being Venus.

But on an island of unearned confidence and egos Venus just amuses me with how nothing will shake her confidence. She’s not irrational. She knows she’s on the bottom. But shes still totally sure she can run this poo poo with the right move. It amuses me.

Also Liz is dying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tevin definitely seemed to be a bigger target than Tiffany. And Tevin/Hunter are theoretically much more dangerous of a duo than Q/Tiffany especially with Q turning on her already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I think Hunter had to play his idol there even more than Tiff. He knows he’s a huge target, he knows he doesn’t trust anyone, he knows poo poo is chaotic, he knows they tricked him once already, and he’s already told people about his idol. Gotta play that thing and make sure you live another day.

Tiff probably should have too but it definitely at least felt like she bluffed everyone off her and as far as she knew Hunter and Q were the targets.

It’s dumb for Kenzie to turn on Tiff but that’s what these players do now. Tevin did it to Soda. A did it to everyone. Everyone’s so obsessed with resume building they’re losing their minds and over think everything. And once the chaos starts there’s like that old study that showed when you throw a bunch of normal people in a room with a narcissist they all start getting influenced. Between the chaos Q created, the number of egomaniacs dreaming of resumes, and the sheer mass of unearned confidence it’s crazy island.

Venus is still sorta my favorite because she’s so certain she’s got this and it feels like things might just be working in her direction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Liz is nuts and Q is a monster.

The thing is you can sympathize with Liz but also still think she’s a self absorbed entitled rear end in a top hat. She can have stress and hunger induced meltdown you try and give a pass for and then repeatedly express she’s not remotely embarrassed or apologetic for it. Liz’s whole thing against Q is a self constructed illusion that he screwed her. Ben just hates the guy. Tiff and Kenzie are pissed he screwed them. But Liz just thinks he’s somehow her arch rival because his actions indirectly undermine her perceived game power.

And Tiff was arrogant to try and squeeze out her idol especially one tribal after Hunter got taken out doing the same thing. But at least she owned it. That’s a level of self awareness and humility not in high supply with this cast.

Applebees.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dislike Liz and think her reaction was very obnoxious but it’s weird that people can’t just accept that she visits Applebees with her kid or has food allergies. Like how she deals with these things or talks about them is one thing. But she’s probably not like whatshisname just making up dead grandmas. She probably just likes Applebees.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could definitely put dough in a can and maybe that’s a thing but no one is in a school cafeteria rolling out dough. Either it’s frozen dough already in sheets they just cut and add canned sauce and frozen cheese. Or it’s just all pre made frozen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s entirely possible there are some nuts or seafood I’m not allergic to. I’m not an expert on the subject. But given the odds and risk I’m content to say “I’m allergic to seafood and nuts” and avoid them entirely even when someone inevitably starts trying to narrow that down.

To be honest after nearly 20 years of living with food allergies I just think for some reason there’s some people who just instinctively doubt you when you say it and take it upon themselves to reason or trick the truth out of you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m not even sure why they hate Venus so much. She’s not screwing anyone or throwing tantrums or whatever. She’s just kind of a dumb overzealous player no one wants to play with.

My best guess is just that this cast is so overwhelmed by self serious puppetmaster wannabes that Venus never just going along with the flow pisses them off and threatens them the same way they turned on their allies for small game divergences.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even Ben seems to hate her and he seems like one of the handful of cast members who possesses empathy. But he also seems like he’s mostly operating on wanting to cruise with no game drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do wonder how much Venus maybe could have chilled if people hadn’t iced her out so early. It seems a bit chicken or egg. She was playing a little too hard out of the gate and got labeled for it and ostracized because she was on a tribe that never had to go to tribal. But like maybe if anyone had been willing to play with her she could have found a balance. There was that whole Soda thing where apparently they had a game relationship and then Soda just iced her out. It seems like that kind of just made Venus more paranoid and anxious to play.