Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Teek posted:

Good premiere, loving that CBS is running with the longer episodes now.

Not confident that they will, but I wish they'd stick with this after this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
He's insisting in exit interviews that Q brought up the idea of quitting to pin it on him and that they took him out because he was too big of a threat.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
It's funny to approach it like "the women always do really well! we need to vote out the women for once" when almost every new era season starts with like 6 women getting voted out in a row

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The generational impact of someone's great grandparent incorrectly thinking that several means seven and just making their family think this forever is funny at least

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I'll shift back to Deal or No Deal Island discussion to speak in favor of it... It's kinda fun! It's pretty stupid but it's fun enough and it's fun to watch Boston Rob do Boston Rob stuff on another show. A smarter call would have been airing it during the Survivor offseason, in my opinion, but... they didn't. But I enjoyed the second episode well enough! They made the silly Deal or No Deal portion shorter, at least.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Jelinsky’s height would’ve been perfect for that challenge whereas Jess was struggling… but would he have had PERSISTENCE?

He does seem like a guy who would have given it his all during that difficult, strenuous challenge

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
This was certainly an unpleasant episode of Survivor to watch!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, everyone else on that tribe was indeed coming off very, very unlikeable.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I thought Tevin was great last week but being kind of an rear end in a top hat about Venus this episode

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I mean if you're going to lie about a fake idol you can just lie about something significantly less convoluted like "just vote for Bhanu"

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
If you go into Survivor like "I'm not going to really try to make an alliance before merge" you are very unlikely to make it to merge

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I feel like the ones intentionally ostracizing someone, rolling their eyes when the person talks, or just intentionally disregarding what the person says when they ask questions are doing more damage to the "building tribe cohesion" part of the game

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Poque posted:

Literally all five stages of grief within like twenty seconds lmao

Top five worst casting mistake of all time

I dunno, he was interesting to watch, and he elicited strong reactions out of people, so that seems like pretty good casting to me!

Congrats to him inevitably getting more money from Sia than whoever gets third place

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

STING 64 posted:

I think this seasons really funny

I'm coming around on it just because the reactions to it here are funny

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Rob C's prevailing theory on 3 tribes is that they are really careful about certain tribe dynamics, make everyone sleep head-to-toe, and that they probably don't want to have too many people crammed together in a small shelter, and that all of this is a result of what happened during season 39.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Poque posted:

You've already got 90 minute episodes so just expand each tribe to 8 and have only one tribe win immunity each week.

I honestly think a big issue with how this season is turning into a TV product is a combination of what actually happened in the game (one tribe losing repeatedly for four episodes) and the fact that they didn't know they were making 90 minute episodes of TV, so they didn't cram in extra stuff to show us. The result is 45 minutes of Bhanu a week.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Hey the seventh episode of the season is named Episode Several

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Jeff saying in the challenge "Might as well jump" after Ben referenced that very same Van Halen song seemed pretty scripted.

I dunno a rich white guy in his 60s referencing a popular Van Halen song in an appropriate context doesn't seem like a huge stretch

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I think the show desperately needs more people that do weird stuff that feels right to them in the moment and inconveniences the people who are trying to do the most thought-out game move at all times, it being all the latter people has gotten boring

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The current finale "reunion" format is way worse than the old way. Nobody able to reflect on things they saw on the finished TV show or what they've been up to since the show filmed, the people who just lost the game usually pretty rattled because they, you know, just lost the game...

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

STING 64 posted:

im not trying to be gatekeepy but it felt like to me he was one of the millions who discovered survivor during the pandemic and didnt exactly get to see the seasons as they happened, so to him they're just random seasons

I think according to him his Survivor watching pre-dates the pandemic by a few years, but yeah he wasn't watching as it aired, his college roommate was just really into it and started showing him seasons that weren't in order.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The only episode that really felt "padded" to me was the second one, which was presumably an hour-long episode stretched to two hours by network edict. I love the camp life stuff, it's been sorely missed as the hour show became entirely "strategy plus challenges plus advantage inventorying."

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
What if I told you people can enjoy a thing that you enjoy but actually enjoy it for different reasons than you enjoy it

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
These last two eps have been good stuff, really enjoyed tonight. Also I think that drone shot leading into the challenge is maybe the best I can recall

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's pretty cool for the 2nd week in a row they have run the same immunity challenge at the same episode as they did for season 45. Although they did at least switch the end puzzle to a different one...

Is this something that actually bothers people lol

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
There are things about the current era of Survivor that bother me but looking at the list of the previous season's challenges to make myself mad isn't a priority for me I guess

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
edit: nm

obliriovrons fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 5, 2024

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I'm glad they pulled back on the production-supplied fake idol thing after 44, and I'm curious if after that they now inform players at the start of the game that they no longer provide fake immunity idols. They always have these wacky ideas and don't think up the long-term implications like "if players feel like they have a 50/50 shot an idol is even real, they will stop playing the idols altogether" when they actively want people playing idols for these big explosive moments.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Cheer up everyone they haven't done this challenge in awhile. Show's fixed, baby!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Yellow Ant posted:

I do not see anything entertaining or endearing about Liz. She doesn’t do anything. Her bragging and claim of being a rich online business entrepreneur were really off-putting. The cockiness of not bringing her bag to tribal is another knock against her. Not sure why Liz didn’t like Soda.

Not taking the bag wasn't cockiness, it was selling the "this is an easy Charlie vote" to Soda so she wouldn't play her shot in the dark.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
This alliance is holding together well

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Such an iconic challenge though, it would be hard to not win it if you had the chance to.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I mean good for them, you should not uproot your plans because someone suddenly decided they wanted to be voted out

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Q is one of the more confusing people we've seen on this show in awhile lol

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If you're curious about Rob: Yes Rob is still there! But it really doesn't feel rigged toward him or anything. He's been pretty self-aware.

I like the show but I disagree that they aren't rigging things considerably in Rob's favor. They heavily weighed things for him to take the deal when he played (75% chance of being right, when generally people get 50% or maybe 66%), they paid two players on the opposite side of the game to leave, and they had the non-elimination episode which benefited him. I doubt they want him to win, but they definitely want him in the game as long as possible to keep eyes on the show.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I've thought it was Venus tonight since ten minutes in but I've also thought it was Venus two other episodes

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Lol this is great

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Q is so annoying even Ben is being rude to him

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
As nervous as he was to actually pull it out of his pocket, he should have just played it. Always just play it if you're this nervous. Especially someone like Hunter who has decent enough odds to beast out on challenges until he finds another idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Honestly, their camera cover at these tribals is really impressive, too. Seems like they're set up well to handle whatever weird direction tribal takes and are able to shoot it all very well.

Also, nice to see a tribal that only moderately descends into chaos and everyone stays seated. I missed those tribals!