Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Is it just me, or is there a Canadian Invasion this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Khanstant posted:

"last I checked, several means 7, not four"

What the gently caress is he thinking? I guess several and seven share the first four letters, but I thought everyone understood that couple is 2, a few is 3, and several is more than 3 - the minimum being 4.

I mean, I was taught that:

a couple = 2
a few = 3
some = 4
a bunch = 5-6
several = 7

Here it starts to get a bit more ambiguous
many = 8-9
lots = ~10-50
a shitload = ~50-100
a fuckton = ~100-1000
a metric fuckton = 1000+

Now, as to the buckets, I feel like they could have at least stopgapped the holes with their buffs, or maybe put the two buckets together and made sure the holes didn't line up, or something, then take turns relaying the one bucket. They looked like they were getting there with less than half a bucket each, but yeah, it's real easy to theorize from the couch while snarfing down popcorn.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

inferis posted:

None of those numbers are that exact, that’s why we have words for the exact number

Yet, oddly enough, we do insist that words like 'a pair' or 'a trio' or 'a quartet' are, in fact, the exact number, despite having the words 'two,' 'three,' 'four,' and so on.

Maybe 'several = seven' is a regional thing?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because words like 'pentuplet' and so on kinda aren't commonly used outside of bands, despite being valid terms to specify 'five' and so on.

What, you don't use words like 'octothorpe' in casual conversation?

Studio posted:

That's because those words have different meanings. I have a "pair of cards" versus "I have two cards." If you look into a dining hall and see "a pair of students" versus "two students" those have different meanings, where the pair is you know, paired.

Debatable. "I have a pair of sandwiches" means exactly the same thing as 'I have two sandwiches.' "A pair of students today presented a project on Left Handed Screwdrivers" and "Two students today presented a project on Left Handed Screwdrivers" means the same thing.

But on the other hand, you probably wouldn't refer to those two students as 'a group,' despite the fact that there can be a group of two, and a group project can have two workers on it.

Language is confusing and arbitrary.

Either way, he certainly will go down as a Survivor legend. Just not the kind of legend he wanted to be. See? There's that confusion again.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 4, 2024

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
A lot of the cast seem to have taken one look at Venus and decided she's Hoser Kim Kardashian or something.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I mean, tribes that win get rewards that promote winning. Tribes that lose get penalties that reinforce losing.

Especially in the early game, they need to make winning less overwhelming. You shouldn't get immunity AND a big reward AND the loser doesn't even get to have a fire.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Not having fire sucks but they aren’t getting blown out in the challenges. They’ve lost a string of one-run games, so to speak

I mean, that kind of proves my point. If in many of these challenges they were *that close,* maybe just having fire would have been enough to push them over that little hump.

Living off of random fruit while the other tribes are busily cooking the fish they caught with their rewards and upgrading their shelters with their rewards is absolutely going to have an impact on their performance.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I like the Special Forces show.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It's interesting how completely Venus' vocal presentation changes from confessionals/camp life and tribal council.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
When did they start making HIIs look like low-effort 'take the beads off of water bottles and put them on a string' fake idols? I assume they did this to make it easier to make fake idols.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Kenzie’s tearful speech about how she’d never treat another human like a freak show loser pariah over mental health falls kind of flat when she absolutely treated Bhanu like that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Rubber Chicken posted:

Q is a complete chaos elemental

Why does everyone want him to stay? Because he's funny at camp sometimes?

Bonkers poo poo this season

Forget J'Tia and Chaos Kass, Q has set the bar.

I agree with the observations here. I remember saying two things during that tribal to my fiance; one was 'his control complex is so bad that he'll jump of a bridge before you have a chance to push him, just so he can tell himself 'I was in control of that choice' before he hits the ground,' and the other is 'he seriously needs to be medically pulled and put in the care of a psychiatrist.'

Like, I genuinely wonder if he went off of some meds to be on the show or something.

I do, however, agree with his anger about the challenge. They just watched Hunter hang out in a tree basically for fun, so maybe go ahead and assume that the challenge itself is a foregone conclusion, and you're not giving up anything you had a realistic shot at getting.

That said, Venus almost pulled it off, so.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Exodor posted:

Q is so confusing to me. Last week he orchestrated a vote to oust Tim, a member of his Six alliance. This week he's targeting Tif for suggesting they vote out a member of the alliance when Q just did the same thing

I'm kind of done with Q and tired of every episode focusing on him and his inane ramblings. I really hope he's next to go.

To be fair, he may well have just tried to vote himself out because, in part, of his attempt to vote out a member of The Six(tm).

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

obliriovrons posted:

Honestly, their camera cover at these tribals is really impressive, too. Seems like they're set up well to handle whatever weird direction tribal takes and are able to shoot it all very well.

Also, nice to see a tribal that only moderately descends into chaos and everyone stays seated. I missed those tribals!

I'm fairly sure that the 'half pull it out of the pocket, stuff it back in' shots were shot after the fact. And I think they were staged shots, not 'oh, we saw you do it, but didn't catch it on camera.'

They've always staged and restaged things they happened to not get on camera. The hotel fight where Colby was just sitting around watching TV being the most famous one, as I recall.

Also, it's time for Survivor 47: Gen X vs Millennials vs Gen Z.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I have no sympathy for Liz, and I think Ben can gently caress right off. Oh, she's got a good story, that's great, she doesn't deserve to go on a reward because of that.

If Q does make it to Final, I think he's not just an instant third. And I hope he's got his speech rehearsed if anybody calls him out for taking Liz about how none of the other three offered to give up their spot for her.

And lets be honest; if Q had taken Liz, we'd see her cackling in a confessional about what an idiot he is for feeding her and she's still going to vote him out ASAP.

All I know is, they have to gun for Maria, ASAP.