Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I listened to the Mike Bloom interviews and Hunter seems pretty cool. Apparently he declined med school or something in order to be a teacher, and he runs Survivor-like games for the kids. The other one that stood out to me was Venus. she saw Survivor HvV and Cagayan or whatever pop up on Netflix and decided to watch Survivor, but was like, screw that i'm starting at the beginning I'm not watching these, and went in order from s1, and she's really analytically minded. but honestly I feel like in the current era looking like she does people will always say "Parvati black widow" and try to vote her out.

Mostly the interviews are just good for having some idea who people are when the show starts so it's not a bunch of random people you can't keep track of. I don't think I actually can tell who is going to be a mess based on the interviews, and they were a bit long and a lot to get through this year too.

one funny thing is there's this completely normal seeming white man, Charlie, so he's just made his personality being a Taylor Swift fan. It's more common than you might think! Liz seems the most likely to be the "wacky one," maybe some Soda too

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lady whose job is email spam:: “Yeah, I’m kind of awesome :smug:

Lmao Jelinsky wtf quitting with hours remaining

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I like that he aggressively volunteered for both things he quit

Though to be fair, he did get a bad draw in that game. When Maria raised the stakes like that she put him in a pretty bad spot. The turbo quit in the first brawn task was way way worse. You volunteer for that you have to go all the way til the last grain of sand falls even if you know you’re losing. For the boat ride story he should’ve thrown Maria under the bus and said she killed the game by saying if the skull person played it as designed she’d have a vendetta against them

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 29, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That beware advantage saying dig where you found me is BEGGING to be rehidden

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well I think Jelinsky is physically stronger and better socially. Like if you try to talk to Jess and just can’t get a conversation going that hurts a lot. We saw Kenzie talking about how mom-committal she was before and making fun of her before. I’d vote out Jelinsky but still

Train wreck tribe where Bhanu crying all the time is easily at the top of the tribe

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 29, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

interesting that in addtion to quitting a bunch of stuff he's also apparently accused of blabbing too much

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Studio posted:

Was Tim the Parvati light guy? he sucks imo
I think Rando was Parvati-lite and Tim was the one saying "we need a guys alliance" to Charlie.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/1b42p99/survivor_46s_david_jelinsky_used_to_play_orgs/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, I was taught that:

a couple = 2
a few = 3
some = 4
a bunch = 5-6
several = 7

Here it starts to get a bit more ambiguous
many = 8-9
lots = ~10-50
a shitload = ~50-100
a fuckton = ~100-1000
a metric fuckton = 1000+

Now, as to the buckets, I feel like they could have at least stopgapped the holes with their buffs, or maybe put the two buckets together and made sure the holes didn't line up, or something, then take turns relaying the one bucket. They looked like they were getting there with less than half a bucket each, but yeah, it's real easy to theorize from the couch while snarfing down popcorn.
My understanding as a youngster when I was intent on attaching specific numbers to these words was that a couple generally means 2, a few is 3-4, and several is like 5-8 or something--maybe even "around 7." As an adult I definitely definitely know several doesn't mean "exactly 7" but I sort of agree, actually, that "4 hours" is fewer than I'd expect if I was told I'd have "several hours" for something.

But what's so funny is that Jelinsky was reaching for this excuse in the first place, like he'd done an occular assessment of the task and a mental calculation so that he knew exactly how long it would take before even starting and seeing the buckets in action, and he knew ahead of time that he could affirmatively complete the challenge in "several" hours, hence his putting his hand up, but then they yanked the rug out from under him by making it 4.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Liz is so insufferable get over yourself!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jelinsky’s height would’ve been perfect for that challenge whereas Jess was struggling… but would he have had PERSISTENCE?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

wilderthanmild posted:

Man, I want Jess to magically get out of this. I hate this whole fake idol thing. It feels so mean and extra when you just like have the votes.
Yeah you can just fake needing her for a 3-2 vote but SitD has people scared. It’s the game more than the players I guess, even if the idol seems unnecessary. Q keeps saying he’s in the middle but he already handed Jess a fake idol so idk. I feel like there was time for a scene with the green tribe here instead of getting so much of the clown show.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They put 3 first boots in the same tribe!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

metallica guy cool, good vibes

the other song contest guy not so much — “i love taylor swift, star wars and harry potter, i’m a pretty big nerd!” those are like literally the 3 most popular things in US pop culture
Yeah, shockingly Ben who came in forcing the word "shred" into everything is actually the more authentic of the two guys and Charlie is just a stan. Going into the song battle Charlie already knows that he's got every Taylor Swift song title locked because he intentionally memorized them all and listens to nothing else. Ben has no idea how many Metallica songs he's going to be able to pull. Like he says he doesn't know all the bad ones, but just by being genuinely a huge metal guy he goes 100+. He could probably name 50+ from several other bands, Charlie's got nothing else.

But Charlie and Maria are running that tribe and got a Malcolm/Denise flashback so uhh I think they're going deep together. Kinda lean toward Moriah or Jem going home first from there.

obliriovrons posted:

I thought Tevin was great last week but being kind of an rear end in a top hat about Venus this episode
Right, we saw how Kenzie was friends with everyone on the mess tribe, and Q they all trusted even more probably. Meanwhile Tevin is so openly exclusive with who he likes that Soda starts icing out a player she actually bonded with, and the two players in the minority feel it hard enough that Randen shares his advantage with Venus even after he tried to throw her under the bus early on. (Not sure where Liz sits exactly as the actual most annoying person on the tribe.) With the amount of Venus content we're getting so far I see Tevin's side taking a hit before she does.

Meanwhile for the purple tribe, man Jess really was not cut out for this game. It was pretty sad to watch her fumble Kenzie's lifeline and just generally being so helpless. Bhanu is intense, probably kind of sweet but a total mess. As hard as it is to believe I think this tribe actually did make a mistake cutting Jelinsky first. At least you could string him along and he'd be confident riding with you. There's absolutely no way they can work with Bhanu beyond that TC.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't really get playing around the SITD in a situation like this. The majority 3 have a very obvious second target in Bhanu, so even if Jess successfully SITDs, they just go to a revote and vote Bhanu out.

Like it would be one thing if Bhanu was Jess' ally and would throw his vote at Kenzie, but this was a clear 4-1 situation.
Good point... like you indicate SitD prevents Jess from voting so actually not sure why they were so worried about it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jess seemed to spend most of her time just kind of in a daze. we know from her own words she wasn’t sleeping. She never talked strategy with anyone really. The fake idol was pretty pointless and it was hard to watch her struggle for so long last episode. honestly they should NOT have voted out Kenzie instead of Jess, if anything they should’ve voted out Jess instead of Jelinsky. I hoped maybe she’d get her feet under her with some time but that wasn’t the case. She just wasn’t cut out for the island

She did say in exits that she was super excited to see Kenzie on her tribe and felt it wasn’t reciprocated so that’s why she was giving Kenzie nothing but idk. Seems like she didn’t give anyone much.

Interesting thing of the Kenzie Q divide is I thought they were both tight with Tiff. Since the rest of the tribe is being voted out they should’ve been a nice trio by swap/merge instead of worrying about each other so much

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anti-Canadian bullying by the American players who fear the strong track record of Canadian players

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Her putting the buff on the idol was exactly the kind of silly bonding thing everyone should’ve been having fun with and he just straight up rolled his eyes at it, pretty rude. There’s also a secret scene where they don’t get along and fail at squashing the beef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUBfn8J4CnY

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ugh I don’t wanna watch this tribe go back to TC

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Guy slept wrong and gets medevaced

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It damages the sanctity of the game if someone has to leave the island for a quick scan but the sanctity is cool with a player leaving the game without being voted out due to medical reasons and then their allies being left in the lurch and the state of the game being upended. And also is fine with someone losing their vote until they say "Broccoli is like tiny trees."

(Rob was guessing on the podcast it was for insurance reasons but I think he's way off... like they can leave Matthew out there with his shoulder falling off but if you get someone scanned and clear them for return then the production would be at risk of a lawsuit, he thought? Doesn't hold up for me.)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mp5 posted:

nah problems like that in your neck don't just happen from sleeping wrong, it all sounds really weird but it's 100% legit

Randen's bought Bhanu one more set of days unless there's a swap, since presumably he still won't have a vote next time he goes
That may be true but I still blame Hunter for not making a bed for Randen the day before.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

obliriovrons posted:

I dunno, he was interesting to watch, and he elicited strong reactions out of people, so that seems like pretty good casting to me!
The vast majority of people hated suffering through that. I'm so tired of negative reactions being spun as good because it leads to some kind of engagement. people not liking something is bad, it's not good! stop it!!

blue squares posted:

Why does CBS think that this is what we want
i could see Bhanu as a sympathetic character if he wasn't so overexposed, he seems like a nice guy at his core, just uhh rather overemotional. i guess via the overexposure we're able to see more of what it's like actually living with him out there lol.

Anyway this season is godawful so far, the worst start ever to a season by a lot. And we've spent all this time with a tribe that's now dead and decimated and the other tribes havent even done anything! Jess was unable to function, let alone play survivor. Bhanu was completely unable to play survivor. jelinsky was delusional but probably shouldve outlasted both these two. Oh and throw in a medevac (of a guy with an idol!!) for good measure. Enough with the tiny tribes that leads to this kind of thing repeatedly

Poque posted:

I'm excited for the actual game to start now, this cast seems great and now 75% of the rest of the season won't be taken up by Lil 2
yep I very hope we can finally start the game now, chalk this all down as preamble and get the real story started.. Actually glad we got Bhanu out of here so we don't have to watch some brain genius try to drag him to the end

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

So I guess if I blame anyone/anything maybe it’s the whole thing where they take away their flint. That’s just more misery and stress on top of a situation that has enough.

Also I like Bhanu. I think he was a perfectly fine casting. It was just a miserable time watching him get broken down week after week with zero hope. Not good tv.
yeah you can blame production for that I think. Like, the small tribes are super played out but also their tribe should’ve got ten good fish but still had no flint because they actively punish the losers. Before that they were the one tribe without a tarp and there’s been rainstorms.

Also Jess was worse than you’re saying I think, she was sleep deprived but she also was bringing nothing to conversations going back to day 1-2 before that would’ve really set in. Everyone was already saying you couldn’t talk to her.

Bhanu, yeah maybe the losing and the group he was with broke him a bit but I also think production probably liked this and thought it was gold, hence the amount of space in the edit he got. Fans swooning over Carolyn when she was at her most dysfunctional probably encouraged them

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh also Jeff takes the flint away because he's trying to compensate for the game being 3 weeks long now so he can still say it's hard, so it's like one bad thing compounding into another.

I know people that don't watch Australian Survivor are tired of hearing about it but it's really whiplash to go from one of the best seasons of all time to the worst opening series of episodes of all time.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 21, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The 2024 all newbie one that just completed airing, Titans vs Rebels. The returnee season that just preceded it, the Australian Heroes vs Villains, was also an all-time season so they're on a serious hot streak. Both are top ten ever including all franchises in many peoples opinion (including mine). HvV was kind of an unofficial successor to another all newbie Australian season, Brains vs brawn, another great season too. Mostly safe to ignore the blood vs water season wedged in the middle of these four seasons, though

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 21, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

She just was really bad at jumping and couldn’t get enough lift to ever succeed on the challenge they thought was coming (jump off a raised platform in the ocean and grab a key on the way down)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Demon_Corsair posted:

I started titans vs rebels and I was rooting for Eden because he reminds me of Matthew Lillard. But his whole thing of movie references as a personality got real old real fast.
yeah in the Aus Survivor thread i said something like when did being a nerd go from like reciting poetry Fishbach style to just quoting the most popular mass appeal media products imaginable? That said I think Eden seems like a cool enough dude

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm rewatching Tocantins right now and I haven't seen Fishbach reciting any poetry.
It was Second Chances

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Any of y'all watching Deal or No Deal island? I'm really curious to see how long Boston Rob lasts, it's funny watching him basically be the only one with experience at this sorta thing out there.
That's his specialty

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was gonna say you could start on 15 (China) and then hit Micronesia at 16 and cruise right up to 20. I don't think most of Micronesia's important players really have important first seasons.

This path would hit China, Micronesia, Gabon (lol), Toctantins, Samoa, and then HvV.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Survivor: Shamboa

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wow, I did not see the green tribe losing here. Edit (Jem reading the full clue saying if they never lost, there’d be new beware instructions) got me totally. Might have just been getting that info out in advance for Hunter.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh yeah I should say my watch 15-20 idea I still think is pretty cool but Pearl Islands is a top season

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, that was fun getting a tribe other than Yanu for a change.

I think Jem was pretty clumsy at the game. Her uncomfortable chats with some of the guys probably is what tipped Maria to letting her go. Even her saying she was going to go idol hunt, it was ballsy and it worked and got her the idol but it seemed kind of weird to do.

Venus seemed pretty awkward too in her interaction with Hunter. Breaching strategy chat sometimes is just hard. It seems like Q was successful with it though with people he only just met!

Interesting call for Maria not to tell Mo about the vote… I feel like you wanna do that….

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Her lying wasn't that strong either. "What? What beware advantage?" She did get around to the direct denials after that but it was a stumble. I feel like so often people either don't just deny directly at all, instead saying something like "How could you even ask that?" or they go "What??" as their initial few replies before getting around to answering. I mean, an honest person can be incredulous and say "what" but it ought to be followed by an "absolutely not" and not a need for the other person to clarify something obvious they just said, as if they haven't all been digging for the beware advantage for days. "What beware advantage" nah. So if Tim is already suspecting her and then she starts going around saying "so who are you voting for I uhh need to know" that's a tipoff. Even more than that, though, even if they still think Tim had it, we saw Maria telling Charlie that "Jem will stick with us," and if Charlie can then say back, "You know she came to all the men and said she'd vote with us if we gave her a name?" Then it's kind of like, "okay forget it, let's keep Ben." I actually thought Ben was gonna be the one to go and was thinking how unlucky he was since I hadn't seen him do much wrong. Jem earned it more and got it.

Teek posted:

The vote style change up was good on Maria’s part, not sure it was really worth to play the extra vote though. Was she really hedging that the guys may not vote Jem? Saving it for merge seems like it might have had more value.
I thought Maria playing the extra vote made sense when she first said she was going to, because I thought it was part of that split vote plan. Yeah I don't see any reason to use it on Jem to get it to 4-2 instead of 3-2. And she really should've told Moriah too--now WE know Jem had an idol so if it trickled back it's risky, but if she just said hey look, Charlie is still 100% with us and will vote out a dude next time but Jem is sketching everyone out so I'm going to vote her this time to keep everyone feeling good... then you could have the whole tribe feeling better about each other heading into merge.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Probably a lot harder to take it on the chin when you have an idol in your pocket you could've played.

STING 64 posted:

i def think anyone from this thread would have smoked that challenge in maybe one or two minutes tho
I know i would've gotten some of them wrong. like the middle era, Cook Islands, Guatemala, Panama, etc, whichever were in the challenge, I don't remember the order there! and I did watch chronologically, but we're talking a decade plus ago and I haven't rewatched or sat around studying it. Actually I thought Thailand came before Marquesas so I would've even gotten one of the easier, very early ones wrong. And i'm on here posting about Survivor all the time and playing online Survivor games!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean I agree it’s not cool to call a skinny woman a “stick bug.”

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i just now got around to hearing Rob speculate that maybe also that vote flipped against Jem when Tim got back from the journey and said, "Hey Maria, I just got you into a 6-person alliance for merge." Don't wanna do a split on Tim/Ben after that.

Another random thought was that Jem leaving out that beware advantage, if she did actually get away with it and put suspicion on Tim, made people think they can't vote Tim and had better split onto Ben or just vote Ben, made Charlie say hey I really don't want to lose Ben, made Jem go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STING 64 posted:

they did go kind of medieval europe a couple seasons ago
kind of but they need to go whole hog and make it the theme

Survivor: Knights and Heroes

the theme can be literally anything, just do something...
and mix up the formatting!

STING 64 posted:

survivor is the hottest its been since its initial run in the early 2000s, despite complaints about perceived quality of the show. it's got more eyes on it now than any other point in the last 20 years.
I think comparatively, for network tv, it's indeed doing great.

i think the game of Survivor itself has had a lot of growth in popularity, between covid and netflix and like new generations getting into it as the great game it is. But I think today's show is just the lucky and hapless beneficiary of that, and is squandering some of that opportunity. Imagine if the US was putting out seasons like the last two Aussie seasons right now. So many people would be takling about it...

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2024