Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Caught up on the first 2 episodes tonight. Absolutely brutal episode for Jelinsky and one of the worst debut performances ever if not the worst.

Was really hoping Kenzie would go instead of Jess there in episode 2. They all recognized Kenzie was playing hard and would be a social liability soon as there's a swap or merge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
drat, what a letdown. Hoping Bhanu goes next because I don't think I can handle it if this dude dominates screen time all season.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Diabetic posted:

It really feels like this and last season they were testing something. You had a complete garbage no way in Hell tribe on both, the previous season it was really rough and you felt genuinely bad for them losing and just wanting it to merge/end already. Now you have a team that is in the same boat, but you want them to lose so bad. You have the world's tallest quitter, a man with a very vengeful god to keep him in play while he wails on the rocks that everyone is against him, a lady who was cloned from "My Girl" who plays the game in circles around her team, they all know it but keep her, another girl who takes advisement and can make good moves but will go with the most boring one, and a man who refuses to lose, yet loses constantly. I don't include Jess in this because she was a decent person but also didn't really play the game.

They probably didn't expect the tall guy to implode so badly out of the gate. He probably would have been good enough to at least get them a 2nd place in one of the last 2 challenges just due to his height being relevant in both.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
That was tough to watch. Even without Bhanu eating up half the screen time going forward I'm not too optimistic that this season is going to get much better. Boring and mostly unlikeable cast.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
First good episode of the season. Maria and Ben are two of only 3-4 that I like this season so glad to see them have a good episode and seem setup well for the long haul.

Figured rehiding the beware advantage was going to come back to bite Jem at some point. Just totally pointless move. If anything it probably even hurt her tribe since they wasted so much energy digging a massive hole and getting owned by ants.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Venus possibly could have gotten Charlie out there if her reasoning wasn't so dumb. Doubt it mattered much for her game since she's an easy target for a unanimous boot next week. Just made her target even easier.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Propaganda Machine posted:

Finding somebody to vote off means you have to find an excuse to sell. It could really be anything. Stephanie from Cook Islands was booted for pining after mashed potatoes when we see contestants verbally fantasizing about food all the time.

I think the point is there's a deeper urge or unspoken reason to get rid of them, but they have to pin it on something that's acceptable to others.

Could have just said because he's good at challenges which is true and a good selling point. Wanting to vote him off because he was the only man who was vulnerable is a really bad reason.

(assuming you were responding to me)

freeman fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 4, 2024

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Glad to see Tevin gone since dude just annoyed me every time he was on the screen. Felt like he was playing his personality up a bit too much for the cameras.

Q throwing a tantrum sucked but overall this season has improved drastically after Bhanu got booted. Hoping it finishes strong.

blue squares posted:

Bahnu: Please help me, Q, I need a coach, please

Q: Okay Bahnu, here is what to do

Viewers: what an arrogant rear end in a top hat

Telling Bhanu to be his Phillip was probably why people thought he was a little arrogant at the time. Then basically everything that's happened over the last few episodes hasn't really helped his image.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
The absolute greed to not play his idol there.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Fast Luck posted:

Nah I don't think it was greed. It was a mistake but he just got played into thinking absolutely everyone was ready to just vote Q and get it done with and he didn't want to waste his idol like an idiot.

My question is, was there actual confusion or people aiming in multiple directions or were folks like Venus and Kenzie and Liz who went Q on the first vote just doing a vote split? We know Kenzie was in on the Hunter vote earlier, yet she voted Q at first, so either she just got spooked onto Q or they arranged a split... maybe a split is more likely because like why shouldn't you keep a chunk of votes on Hunter just to make sure he plays that idol he claims he's gonna play? That said I really don't know for sure, some might have just been spooked and flipped to Q while others independently chose not to. But yeah I'm leaning it was an intentional vote split.

Did Hunter say Tiff was his #1? She might've screwed up then sending him out...

His closest and really only ally was just voted out and he's clearly the biggest challenge threat. Playing it wouldn't have been a complete waste either since it'd at least reveal who did what they said they were going to do. Plus he'd have a pretty reasonable shot at finding it again.

Soon as you start telling random people you have an idol you have to assume they're going to either try and flush it or send you out holding it. Especially clear when half the people you're trying to talk to are being dodgy.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Propaganda Machine posted:

So, let's see. Hunter tells literally everybody about his actually-secret idol for no real reason and also that he's going to play it, and then doesn't play it and gets voted out on a split followed by "holy hell, that idiot didn't play the idol he said he had and was going to use?"

Rob Cesternino has spent a couple of weeks hammering on the idea that Hunter is a bad Survivor player, and I'll be damned if we didn't see some truly awful play out of him just now. People like Bhanu aren't really cut out for Survivor, but Hunter was kind of worse; he's an incredible superfan but he's been playing with zero real awareness for a while now.

This might be is probably mean of me, but I'm glad he's not putting himself in the position of making important medical decisions that could actually affect people's lives. I mean, this guy just got outplayed by Q.

Edit: Q, who voted for Ben. What the hell even was that? All he had to do was vote Hunter to avoid the revote! This cast is historically bad.

Q probably voted Ben since he was left out of the clear behind the scenes split vote and Hunter telling him to vote Ben was the only thing he heard.

As for Hunter, I think the Survivor community just wanted him to be good due to giving up a lucrative career track so he can teach kids using Survivor puzzles.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Just from the edit I think I'd put Charlie ahead of Maria now. Kenzie obviously the frontrunner and then Ben/Tiff behind those 3. Just hoping we don't end up with Venus and Q in the FTC since it'll just be 40 minutes or so of the jury patting the winner on the back and making GBS threads on those 2.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Applebees really got their money's worth from this episode, holy poo poo.

Q acknowledging that she hasn't eaten in almost 3 weeks then immediately going "but I'm going to take Kenzie" was ice cold.

Tiff non-play wasn't as bad as Hunter but was pretty close.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Seemed like a pretty bad episode for Kenzie and should put her firmly behind Maria and Charlie. Going on about resume checklists and such then having your big move stolen from you and being left out of it is a huge hit. Maria and Charlie aren't in the business of letting people with idols slide and seem to have a better approach than Kenzie and Liz who want to make moves just to have moves to claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I hope I live long enough to see the Funny115 breakdown for that meltdown.