Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm on the Bhanu train right now, he gives incredible facial expressions. Not quite as extreme as Caroline, but he definitely cannot hide his emotions.

I'm also digging Tevin, Kenzie, and Q.

It took me a second to place why Charlie looks familiar, then I realized he looks just like the Senate twink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

Wonder if they could have put mud on the bucket to plug the holes?

I did read it, but apparently in his exit interviews, Jelinsky said that they were not allowed to plug the holes, and that they were rather big so it would have been difficult to do so anyway.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Wow, I really enjoyed Bhanu last week, but dude is a loving mess.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It's time for Jeff to retire and for Mike White to take over production, and someone like Devins take over for hosting. Based on every interview he's given since 2020, it's 100% clear that the problem with Survivor now is Jeff. He believes he knows what makes great television, and listens to nobody (except for Mike White)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Oh also Jeff takes the flint away because he's trying to compensate for the game being 3 weeks long now so he can still say it's hard, so it's like one bad thing compounding into another.

Exactly. Hai said that they never even bothered trying to make fire because it simply didn't matter.

My main issue is how Jeff is now focused on casting players who are inspiring. I don't want to be inspired, I want to be entertained. They are not the same thing, and not everybody on the show is inspiring, despite the segments showing clips from their home life. There has been some great casting lately, but the game isn't as entertaining to watch.

I actually didn't mind Bhanu, I thought his constant blunders were kind of funny. The issue is with the "new era." They should focus on trying to recreate the success of seasons like Millennials v Gen X, or David v Goliath, and stop doing what they're currently doing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Bhanu also complained that he's not an actor so he does not know how to lie or hide his emotions.

Also Bhanu:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm14003069/

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KingKapalone posted:

I mentioned we started watching this season after having not watched for decades. If we wanted to watch an old season in parallel, is there a well regarded top season list? Should we just use a random number generator? My wife wants to watch the season Parvati won because that one seems to be referenced a lot online and we watched The Traitors so that's an option too.

Micronesia is a great season, but as it is a half - returnee season, sometimes a lot of the fun is seeing the growth of people's gameplay compared to their previous season. I think you should maybe watch a season of all new players.

In my opinion, the best for that would be Marquesas, Cook Islands, China, Cagayan, Kaoh Rong, Millennials v Gen X, and David v Goliath, with D v G being maybe the best of the bunch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

These folks are incredible remembers. A few years ago I did a full rewatch (or first watch in many cases) from season 1 and I was constantly blown away when I'd Kramer in and be like "augh the dingus with the big mouth keeps loving up the plan for the alliance with the shrimpy guy and the fake cop" and someone would immediately be like "oh you mean Jantara and Cletus and Pibb, yeah on a podcast she said the producers encouraged them all to try the pain box to get tested and put everyone on edge"

There was a time when they treated Survivor contestants like actual celebrities. The night they were booted from the island, they appeared as guests on Letterman, and the next morning they'd appear on the CBS Morning Show. They'd often even go on a bit of a press tour, or would appear in tabloids. Many would get guest parts on TV shows, or cameos (and even starring roles) in movies, season 1's Ramona was even one of the hosts of MTV's The Challenge the year after she played, specifically because she was on Survivor, even though she was the 4th boot. It was easy to remember the players' names back then.

In modern Survivor, because of the waning cultural influence, and because of the modern editing, by the end of a season, unless they were a particularly memorable player, I can barely even remember anybody who was voted out prior to the merge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KingKapalone posted:

I see what people here or on reddit mean when they say the survival aspects of the show aren't really present anymore. I can't even really recall people on the current season eating or talking about food much at all except for the recent food reward.

They stopped making the players boil water after Survivor 32 Kaoh Rong after multiple players collapsed due to severe heat exhaustion during a challenge in which one player was actually medically evacuated. After that, they now provide the players with potable water.

With that, the need for fire was less of a focus since they didn't need to boil.

Then with the new era, if they lose challenges, their flint gets taken away, so they can't even make fire. With the game being only 26 days now, players are saying they don't even bother making fire.

KingKapalone posted:

I obviously don't know what other seasons did yet, but why did the move away from the more unique things that Pearl Islands had right away like the opener or the stealing of other tribe's stuff? That fit the pirate theme of course and maybe the flint stealing after the challenge now is a bit of that, but I see that's controversial on reddit too.

They continued to have raiding the other camp as a reward for challenges for many seasons, but not every season. I don't recall the last time they did that. But you're right, a big part of that was the theme for that season, and we haven't had a specific theme in the new era, so every season is allowed to blend together.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

In the New Era, 41-onwards, they just... stopped trying to differentiate seasons at all. It's inexplicable and they're not doubt about to stop doing that really soon because how can they not see that it's failing, but it is what it is.

What Jeff is claiming is that while the players didn't quite get the new era first, 6 seasons into the new era, they're now starting to get it and that we should see some really good gameplay this season. I don't know if I buy it. Jeff, as part of his job, always hypes up every season as the greatest yet.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

The Survivor internet fandom bubble weirds me out. I know how ridiculous I am but some of those Reddit nerds take it to the point of unhealthy. It's easy not to have perspective on how popular it actually is or isn't.

I have to unsubscribe from the subreddit between seasons, and I've considered unsubscribing this season because the more unhinged fans there have become the loudest voices.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Venus has strong Erinn from Tocantins vibes.

Erinn had a lot more charisma, which isn't saying much

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't even really care about the challenges, and I usually fast forward through them.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousCat posted:

It's not as if they don't have simple challenges they could bring back -- "move your entire tribe from one end of the balance beam to the other, past the rest of the tribe" is something they've done before and could do cheaply again. It's that they repeat the same things over and over season after season, rather than reaching into their bag of tricks and pulling something new out.

At least the journey challenges have been a little different!

Just have a little more variety and comedy. Not every challenge needs to be an obstacle course, a puzzle, balance, or endurance. Let's get another challenge where they have to tear a bunch of meat off of a giant bone.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

There was a challenge on UK Survivor (RIP) where they did a similar thing with both tribes racing round an oval track in the sea going through the shallows and deeper water. It was fun because one tribe basically told all the women to gently caress off we big men got this and they got completely owned. I assume that was an Aussie challenge originally too.

I think we first saw it on Survivor Palau

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Micronesia, Chet and uh... Joel?

Yeah, that was during a time on the show when they thought it would be funny to constantly pair gay men with boorish homophobes. After all, it was charming with Richard and Rudy in season 1, although not so charming when it happened again in season 3 with Brandon and Frank, in season 4 with John and Boston Rob, etc

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Septimius posted:

He also had a sob story if I remember correctly, before it became standard for the entire cast to have one. Those are my pretty hazy memories from 20 years ago anyway.

I believe it was that he was bullied a lot as a kid, and he was running a camp for troubled youths.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rick posted:

“Venus did you do this?”
“N…yes! Yes I did!”

Lol Venus is so entertaining to me.

Just finished the episode now, and it's hilarious that Venus is convinced that she is the one to arrange the blindside. She did independently come up with it, but completely unaware that the rest were already working on the same plan without any involvement from her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Weird about Soda that she seemed good socially and didn’t seem to really ever do anything seriously wrong but she did not have a single player on her tribe who wanted to keep her.

Was she good socially? It seemed like almost everybody couldn't stand her behavior out there, and didn't trust her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Q is basically Venus at this point

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

AndrewP posted:

Maybe if Q had treated THE SIX like a real alliance instead of just a device for him to control things it would have held up

He was trying to pull a boston rob, except he failed to realize that only worked for rob one time, and even then the producers had to stack the cast in his favor

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KingKapalone posted:

This would be in spring 2026. How close do they announce the cast to the season start? I'll have some stuff to watch before then.

https://ew.com/survivor-50-jeff-probst-all-returning-players-8640105

I suspected he was going to make us wait that long, which is a bummer. Given that the last All Stars season (other than winners at war) was all the way back in season 34, it means we'll have 14 seasons of new players to choose from, compared to just 7 from the very first All Stars. On the one hand, it minimizes the chances of there being multiple people from one season, on the other it means we're going to miss out on a lot of worthy returning players.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Since Liz got her single portion of rice, I hope she takes that jar with her to every single tribal council so that if her tribe votes her out, none of them get her rice.

I'm still not really rooting for anyone this season. It seems that Maria, Charlie, and Kenzie are getting winners edits at this point, although I think Kenzie's momentum stalled this week after being left out of the Tiff vote.

I don't think Q or Liz have a shot at getting a single vote if they make it to the finals. Q has shown himself to be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat throughout the game, all the way back to calling Bhanu his Phillip Shepard. And this week with comparing people he betrays to employees that he's fired in the past. The man is cold. Liz, I think had any of the 3 people selected for the Applebees reward liked Liz even a little bit, they probably would have swapped places with her. She's also consistently been left out of the blindsides until this week.

Ben has pretty much been a non-entity in this game. I can see Venus getting a vote or two from bitter jury members who commend her for making it to the final, despite playing from the bottom since episode one. But at this point it's probably Maria or Charlie's to win.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drat he's cold.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/BKdegreaser69/status/1785841644492689845

https://twitter.com/QMB_4/status/1786019216073576871

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STING 64 posted:

i thought it ruled, nobody ever just lets it out like that anymore

Agreed. I wanted her to burn the camp to the ground.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

aidoru posted:

They're all hungry. Maybe Liz is more hungry than everyone there. It doesn't matter. She still acted like she was owed a reward from someone she has tried to vote out multiple times because she has an "emotional connection" to fuckin Applebee's lamo

Liz only ever voted for Q at one tribal, the same tribal where Kenzie also voted for Q.

STING 64 posted:

if you threw me on an island for 17 days left only to fend for myself with coconuts and sealife while surrounded by completely insane people where we plot against each other lord of the flies style the entire time you bet your rear end im gonna lose my poo poo at the chance to win some applebees

These masters of their emotion here would never show a crack in their stonefaced enigmas of perfection, even in face of the new era Survivor. To show emotion is weakness, and you are scum of the earth for doing so.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Reddit is weird because a not insignificant portion are calling Ben a terrible person for thinking Q is a bully.

Honestly I think internet people don’t deserve Survivor anymore.

/r/survivor has recently reached /r/rupaulsdragrace levels of unhinged internet fandom behavior. I used to subscribe only during the season, and unsubscribe between seasons to spare myself the endless posts about whether Boston Rob is the greatest Survivor of all time. But I had to quit after only a couple of weeks this season because they were just too obnoxious.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/anthonyd46/status/1786183776252359067?t=VDhKOy2CSD3-fXonEdgfJw

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

How long do you have between getting accepted and showing up on the island? Just wondering if enough time to get some neck and face tattoos healed, kind of a Trojan horse sponsorship deal, plastered like a NASCAR.

Heh, they do bring out a few alternates every season. Easy to replace cast members they don't think will work out last second. It's what people got so angry last season about 2 people quitting, because there were alternates there who would have loved to have played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Someone pointed out that licorice has gluten, yet Liz was eating that no problem.

Gluten allergies typically just manifest as stomach cramps, and indigestion. She hasn't pooped in 20 days. That small amount of gluten is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Why are people so intent on calling her a liar and a fraud?