Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Pony: Tiffany

Poison: Venus (you are neither Parvati nor Cirie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Jelinsky is claiming in exit interviews that the quit was actually Q's idea :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
When was the last time a man was voted out first?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kenzie should have gotten more heat for being caught playing both sides.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mp5 posted:

It’s worked twice (all the way only once) in 45 seasons up till now.

But most of the men except Tevin seem kinda dead in the water anyway so who knows

Are you calling out -----One World----- and -----Micronesia-----?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Patently false. Plenty of winners rode Day 1 alliances to the end. Off the cuff I can think of Sophie Clarke, Dee, Natalie White, Kim Spradlin, Denise, probably Boston Rob and plenty more winning alliances are formed within the first few voting cycles like JT & Stephen and the final three of Palau.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 8, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rick posted:

Yeah that episode was quite a comedown after episode 1. Like someone said earlier, the fake idol thing wasn't wantonly cruel due to the existence of the shot in the dark, but it still felt really mean while it was happening, especially or maybe probably because of how nice Jess comes off.

She said in exit press that they were goading her to play her shot in the dark on the first vote. I'm sorry, there wasn't a way out for her and the entire tribe except Bhanu is on my poison go die poo poo list.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Eric Huffman from China charged with domestic violence against his wife Jaime, also from China.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I got my partner into Survivor and now he's refusing to watch until Bhanu goes home.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

(Rob was guessing on the podcast it was for insurance reasons but I think he's way off... like they can leave Matthew out there with his shoulder falling off but if you get someone scanned and clear them for return then the production would be at risk of a lawsuit, he thought? Doesn't hold up for me.)

I think he was more talking about game show law and fairness. The US has pretty specific laws due to that incident decades ago, so it's possible that letting Randen back into the game after the MRI would have exposed them to possible lawsuits from the other players.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had the time at work to listen to pregame stuff and Jelinsky tugged at my heartstrings a bit. His parents are both addicts so he was one of those kids who had to parent his parents. I was really surprised at how he acted on the show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Guardian spoke with Parvati about her, ahem, life coaching business. It does have some interesting stuff about her childhood though.

Seriously though, is life coach all there is for Survivor alums? Kellyn from Ghost Island is doing it, Alexis from Micronesia did it, and in her FTC in Panama Danielle said she wanted to give speeches to kids.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wonder if he has better self-control with food in his belly.

I mean, probably not, but I wonder!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Vernacular posted:

and the woman on the green tribe taking a little too much pleasure out of her fake advantage wild goose chase.

That's a really good point. It was a good idea to make sure nobody could find the note in her bag but she was so excited about the ploy she got sloppy. Bad placement, too much smirking, and she should have tried harder to dig under the tree with everybody else. I'm glad they clocked the reality of the situation, but I'm very surprised she didn't ping anybody.

And Charlie looks and acts too much like Spencer Reiman Bledsoe, it's weirding me out.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

I think this cast has a lot of potential now that Bhanu is gone so I don't have to skip half the episode.

I normally hate the sob stories and whatnot but I really enjoyed Tevin's bit with the fish.

Agreed. That segment about his dad was really powerful.

As for fire, Maryanne made the very valid point on RHAP last night that it's a serious morale issue. I know it seems soft but I don't think it should be underestimated. It's warmth. It's action. It's island TV.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Taylor Swift doesn't have time to watch TV. She doesn't even watch her boyfriend on TV, just goes to games and calls security to make Kanye go away.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

So Karla (from 43) has said the area where most of Sagi was digging for the planted Beware advantage was an area where her tribe would go to poop.

I'm crying. Brilliant.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm rewatching Tocantins right now and I haven't seen Fishbach reciting any poetry.

Poor guy though, even if he'd cut JT Taj would have beaten him. He might have beaten Erinn but I'm not sure how deeply the Timbira salt ran.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

It was Second Chances

But Coach did set the standard with the great orator Marcus Aurelius :haw:

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So the uncredited audience member from a Whitney Houston concert is an accomplished actor?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Slight echo chamber, but I think 6/Amazon, 7/Pearl Islands, 12/Panama, 13/Cook Islands, 15/China, and 18/Tocantins are all fine places to start.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If reality TV shenanigans and people being mean for no reason interests you, watch Samoa.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I was gonna say you could start on 15 (China) and then hit Micronesia at 16 and cruise right up to 20. I don't think most of Micronesia's important players really have important first seasons.

This path would hit China, Micronesia, Gabon (lol), Toctantins, Samoa, and then HvV.

I think seasons 10-20 represent some of the best Survivor has to offer, but as much as Gabon is hilarious I think you're missing a lot with this path.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Triple post on the Micronesia returning players with spoilers where appropriate:

Fairplay: 7/Pearl Islands - nothing needs to be said, but only if you go and watch that original poo poo. Also, he hit the beach in a Jeff Probst cosplay and it was pretty funny.

Ami, Eliza: 9/Vanuatu - you really need to watch this to understand their relationship, and/or why either of them matter. Both are big characters and big players.

Cirie: 12/Panama - you need the birth of her character arc to blossom into what she's capable of

Ozzy, Parvati, Penner: 13/Cook Islands - Penner plays from the top, then the bottom, then the top, then the bottom; Parvati is almost always on top but we don't get to see too much of it, and Ozzy is a physical legend.

Yau-Man: 14/Fiji - iconic old wise man, fire was made without flint with his glasses. When his tribe had no food, he made tea. You don't strictly need to watch the first half of his badass season but he did some amazing work and it gets compounded in his late game.

Amanda, James: 15/China - They're both iconic, and it's not good news for either of them.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They got shittier over time, too. They did start out bad with celebrity guest hosts, but when Probst took over it was okay and fun for a while. Everybody got at least one turn to speak, etc. It just devolved over the years until half of the cast of Caramoan wasn't even invited onstage.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dude, I would burn that extra vote so fast it ain't even funny. You've been on the journey, people either know or suspect you have it, just get rid of it before you do yourself any more harm by having it, especially if it accomplishes what you want that tribal.

Edit: and after numbering all those seasons from memory I'm befuddled that Hunter devoted his entire drat garage to making Survivor challenges for kids and can't get the seasons in order. Might scout reddit to see what he got wrong out of curiosity and schadenfreude.

You're on my fantasy team, man! :negative:

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 28, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He would be the most faithful of the faithful.

In other words, useless.

In other words, not getting murdered.

In summation, having some claim to the prize pot until he inevitably fails to ascertain the final traitor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STING 64 posted:

was this season filmed before 45? it kinda feels like the current season of TAR where its shot for 60 but padded out for 90 unlike last season where the pace was perfect for the longer episode length

I think I heard that they had 90 minutes for 45 for sure but 46 could have gone either way so they couldn't afford to count on the extra runtime.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Brandon the second boot superfan from last season had a fantastic sense of humor regarding how bad he was. Bhanu still seems to think he won some kind of moral victory.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Survivor internet fandom bubble weirds me out. I know how ridiculous I am but some of those Reddit nerds take it to the point of unhealthy. It's easy not to have perspective on how popular it actually is or isn't.

That said, it's come up in a media studies course I'm taking more than once. Maybe the professor just liked being able to namedrop Parvati as a former student, but when he asked the class of Gen Z kids what was going on with their reality TV viewing more people than I'd think said Survivor and Big Brother. Totally anecdotal and unscientific, but it seems that enough people watch it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Invalid Validation posted:

Well to be fair what other big reality game shows are on prime time tv? It’s probably all the same stuff that’s been on for decades.

Maybe, but there's variety. Drag Race, Real Housewives, The Bachelor/ette, The Challenge, Below Deck, and now they have this Deal or No Deal Island nonsense. I can't wrap my head around that one and I don't want to.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Finding somebody to vote off means you have to find an excuse to sell. It could really be anything. Stephanie from Cook Islands was booted for pining after mashed potatoes when we see contestants verbally fantasizing about food all the time.

I think the point is there's a deeper urge or unspoken reason to get rid of them, but they have to pin it on something that's acceptable to others.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Venus has strong Erinn from Tocantins vibes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At this point I wonder if it's more valuable to know where a beware/idol is than actually doing it yourself. So if you find the beware, maybe put it back and lead somebody else to it. You can take advantage of that knowledge in any number of ways depending on how things go, but you're not the one with the monkey on your back.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Just after his season aired he wrote an autobiography called Just Being Me :barf:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wasn't he a lolbertarian?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think you could replace Nick Wilson with virtually any other young male winner and it would have been a better season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They gave Ben like 15 idols of course they would give him a returner slot.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nihonniboku posted:

Was she good socially? It seemed like almost everybody couldn't stand her behavior out there, and didn't trust her.

I thought there was a bit earlier on about how she was running off having 1-on-1 conversations with everybody on the tribe, hence the trust issue since nobody knew what she was promising everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm on team Jess was bullied; Bhanu was treated fairly.

In exit press, Jess talked about legitimately connecting with people over building the shelter, but I think Kenzie kneejerked at her initial overexcitement* and saw her as a dead weight she needed to get rid of. But that whole fake idol thing, that was as bad as Sugar with Bob's fake idol against Randy in Gabon, and it was so poorly played that Jess wasn't even remotely tricked, she just played along to keep the peace.

With Bhanu, the popular kids more or less seemed to let him in when they turned against Jelinsky. If he'd kept his cool, what we saw in the edit showed that he really might have had a chance against Kenzie in a Yanu final four situation. But he had no strategic game and he was aggressively obnoxious to be around in a situation where the other people on your beach consume your daily life.

*Jess apparently pounced Kenzie as soon a they got off the boat all like "I'VE SEEN YOU AROUND PONDEROSA YOU SEEM SO COOL I'VE BEEN WANTING TO WORK WITH YOU SO BAD!"