Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Watching this season after not watching since like 2005 since a podcast I like said the first two episodes were unhinged (and we liked their Traitors recommendation). Don't have much to compare it to, but we're thoroughly enjoying the ridiculousness. Having interesting challenges that actually matter compared to Traitors is nice.

I'm having to look up all these things I don't know like New Era, shot in the dark, etc. Crazy that there are so many seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I mentioned we started watching this season after having not watched for decades. If we wanted to watch an old season in parallel, is there a well regarded top season list? Should we just use a random number generator? My wife wants to watch the season Parvati won because that one seems to be referenced a lot online and we watched The Traitors so that's an option too.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there a way to look up info about these seasons without getting immediately spoiled? I looked at season 45 on Wikipedia and practically the second sentence has the winner. I googled another one and saw a survivor wiki but that also had the winner in the first sentence on the Google results page. I might have seen Pearl Island if it was season 7 since I only watched those first seasons.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for all the info. Starting to get a bit lost now with all the suggestions and having to consider seasons that lead into seasons haha. You all have good memories for all these details.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Funny to see the old clips after asking here about old seasons to watch. I definitely remember Rupert so I must have seen Pearl Islands and I was in high school in 2003 and that's when I was watching. I didn't know who Sandra was when watching Traitors though so I'm sure I could rewatch with my wife and it would all seem new.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What type of material seems like padding? Tim talking about pooping?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I had asked about old seasons to watch so we started Pearl Islands. I was watching in 2003 so I've seen this one since I remember Rupert and kind of Fairplay, but I definitely don't remember any of the antics that they started the season with. SD looks like rear end on a 77" 4K OLED and their microphones suck, but all good.

I see what people here or on reddit mean when they say the survival aspects of the show aren't really present anymore. I can't even really recall people on the current season eating or talking about food much at all except for the recent food reward.

I obviously don't know what other seasons did yet, but why did the move away from the more unique things that Pearl Islands had right away like the opener or the stealing of other tribe's stuff? That fit the pirate theme of course and maybe the flint stealing after the challenge now is a bit of that, but I see that's controversial on reddit too.

The first challenge to haul the cannon sure was different too. Just one course, sort of asymmetrical, almost all physical. I suppose having a balance of dexterity, puzzle, and strength like they have now does give more balance, but I'm getting that fans don't like the repetition.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Having not watched since single digit seasons I don't know what is expected and what is a twist. Do they always merge at 13 people? Is it always the half immune, one person gone, and then the rest are part of the tribe? The preview said next week two people go home, so is that normal? Did they just edit it to look like someone was surprised? Couldn't be a twist if they are putting it in the preview.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Been watching Pearl Islands as I've mentioned. Just saw Rupert get voted out. He was so sad! He was great to watch but he was actually a pretty big bully. Just trying to intimidate people. It's easy to say that no one should actually feel threatened and they can just disregard it, but I'm sure when you're there getting scared you actually feel like you need to go along with him. I want to look up more about him but I know he was on at least one additional season so don't want to get spoiled.

It's interesting that Burton and Fairplay had two 5 person groups to go with and they just had to pick one. I guess you're thinking about which one you can trust to actually get to the last 5 and then which of those groups you can beat.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Finishing Pearl Islands tonight. What to watch next? I hear Heroes vs Villains and Micronesia are good but they have returning survivors. I think I saw some seasons to watch to lead into one of them, maybe it was Micronesia since I think Parvati is on there?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Without specific spoilers, is there an archetype that wins more often? Does the strong physical guy that everyone is always afraid of ever win? Is it usually the fly under the radar, agree with others player that wins?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
If it possible to play fantasy somewhere with just one other person for an old season?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
About to start watching Cook Islands and lol they split them up by race? Oh 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
This would be in spring 2026. How close do they announce the cast to the season start? I'll have some stuff to watch before then.

https://ew.com/survivor-50-jeff-probst-all-returning-players-8640105