Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Pony: Tevin (I'm a Richmond-er myself, gotta root)
Poison: Soda (I watched like a 30-second preview of the mat chat and couldn't stand her)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Poor Jess. I don't think she's gonna make the merge but I really like her, enough so that it's making me like Kenzie and Tiffany less for not including her.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Jeff: We're not really interested in casting villains anymore.
Kenzie: You have to be smart to go to clown school.

There's some dark, crazy energy coming off this season. Dare I say it, we could finally have our next Worlds Apart.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Jess' exit interview is amazing and everyone should listen to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMX5Z0rqXns

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Man I have no goddamn idea this season who to sit and who to play in the draft. These people are messy as hell.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Imagine telling someone they're going to be your Philip, and that person not socking you right in the loving jaw.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm not as down on this season as some people; I got some mileage out of Bhanu denouncing god and warring with the heavens. I thought last episode was way worse, where we spent all episode with him and then they didn't even go to tribal. I wish he'd gone last episode and then tonight we could have had Kenzie trying to crab-barrel Q for another day in the game.

Mostly though I'm completely done with the 3-tribe format. I truly don't understand why they haven't bothered to switch that up for 6 straight seasons now. It's not like they've never split 18 in half before. 'Nowhere to hide' is not actually good for the game.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Teek posted:

I have to think it's because a 9 player tribe going through a potential Pagonging for 5 straight episodes is worse than a 6 player tribe going through it for potentially 3 episodes?

Personally I disagree; at least with 9 players there's more question about who's going home, and a five person majority is a lot harder to hold together. With 6 players, sometimes you get a switch up like Sabiyah overplaying in 45, but more often you get what happened here; the 3-person majority is decided as soon as the first person leaves, and then it's just a forgone conclusion who the next few out the door are.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I mentioned we started watching this season after having not watched for decades. If we wanted to watch an old season in parallel, is there a well regarded top season list? Should we just use a random number generator? My wife wants to watch the season Parvati won because that one seems to be referenced a lot online and we watched The Traitors so that's an option too.

7 - Pearl Islands (Sandra from traitors)
13 - Cook Islands (Parvati)
15 - China
16 - Micronesia (Parvati and Cirie from Traitors' 2nd seasons)

All excellent old seasons. 16 has a lot of players from 9, 13 and 15, if you care about spoilers for how people did their first time around.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way to look up info about these seasons without getting immediately spoiled? I looked at season 45 on Wikipedia and practically the second sentence has the winner. I googled another one and saw a survivor wiki but that also had the winner in the first sentence on the Google results page. I might have seen Pearl Island if it was season 7 since I only watched those first seasons.

As Poque said, just ask here; it's almost impossible not to get spoiled looking things up - some genius wikipedia editor even recently changed the main photo for each season from the logos to the DVD box covers which show the winner in a very specific place.

As far as 7 goes, it has a very unique, memorable first episode, so I'd say just watch like the first 10 minutes and if no bells are ringing you either haven't seen it or have forgotten enough to enjoy it again.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I would have nailed that challenge in seconds, but I have the perspective to be sort of ashamed of that.

From the pre-season press, I pegged Jem as someone who was going to overplay her way out early. Maria, and to a lesser extent Charlie and Q have been the players I'm most surprised by so far.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I would actually be stoked to see shuffleboard, target shooting or any other of the old school challenges back. It's not like hand-eye coordination is any less of a skill than balancing poo poo, and Survivor already contains so much luck (especially in the New Era) that I don't need to pretend like the challenges are some grueling crucible which will winnow us down to only the most deserving. Hell, maybe we wouldn't keep getting 'the one tribe that sucks' every season if you could win a comeback on the basis of one person's sick ladder golf skills.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I love Rupert, in spite of myself. I especially love him (Season 8 spoilers)going all Aguirre, the wrath of God, and trying to drown the tribe in his death cellar. Just think, Indiana could have had him as governor but they elected Mike Pence instead.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Ideally I would've cut Ben from 35, Wendell from 36 and Nick from 37 and replaced them with Mike, Earl and Todd respectively, but those last two couldn't do it and CBS has a massive hard-on for Ben.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I was already leaning this way, but I'm now almost 100% Venus is our zero-vote finalist (as well as the person whose personality has already lost them the game that Jeff foreshadowed in episode 1).

I was on the fence about whether I should drop Q from my roster for Charlie or Liz, and I'm pretty sure at this point I should have. Charlie I can see getting clipped to 'weaken' Maria. Liz feels like she's gonna slide right through to like final 6 and then suddenly everyone's going to give a bunch of confessionals about how dangerous she is and she'll go out at the beginng of the finale.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Kenzie was kind of a dick to Jess but Bhanu deserved everything he got.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

OK well now I KNOW I should have dropped Q for Liz or Charlie. I still think Liz is getting cut in the finale but I can't believe she's suddenly in the winner conversation.

Honestly I was with Ben 100% tonight. 'He can't stand that he's on the bottom' and a big lol at 'I don't care for the Shenanigans'.

The pre-merge sucked, but honestly I have no idea what's going to happen next, and I can't remember the last time I said that during a season of survivor so rock on 46.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Generally I'd rather have psychos and narcissists than completely forgettable people (with the obvious caveat that I don't really want the aforementioned psychos to win). I'm actually really interested in the players we have left, compared to 43/44 where there were 3-5 players on the whole season that felt unique and then a bunch of filler.

I did find the two episodes around Bhanu's departure to be pretty rough, but mostly because Bhanu really aggravated me.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

mp5 posted:

Personally i'm just thrilled that for the first time, the cast as a whole didn't cave to Jeff's stupid rice negotiation tactic

Now he has to try and force the rice on them later while still maintaining the appearance of leverage, because the medical advisors told him 'they need real food around day 16'.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Wild poo poo. I love how basically every single fantasy team lost the points for Hunter going home with an idol in his pocket. I've clawed my way up to first place, but I don't think I can hold onto it without Charlie and Liz on my team. My only hope is a Liz medivac.

The fact that Venus was in on the Hunter vote means she's actually managed to burrow her way back into the game. I'm not sure how much was her work, and how much was Q/Tevin/Hunter suiciding themselves, but good for her. Lol on Hunter for poo poo-talking her all merge and then coming to her and Liz to be like 'hey please help me stay in the game'.

I agree that Kenzie moving on Tiff was massive overplay. When that was the plan, people were already lining up to take her out next. I feel like the person she ACTUALLY needs out of the game is Charlie (not that that was an option tonight), and she needs someone else to take the blame for it. If she can somehow use Q as a stalking horse for that, she'd be sitting pretty.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Popero posted:

I know it requires a certain level of self awareness but I don't know how there's not at least a conversation about how these goats desperately need each other. Like if you're Liz, Q, or Venus, that's the only final three where you have any shot, so you have to write literally anyone else's name down going forward.

Yeah, when I saw the three of them get paired together for the challenge I immediately thought 'oh that's the Final 3 all of them should be going for.'

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'd rank Charlie right on par with Kenzie. He has immunity wins and a good position but he hasn't really made any strategic decisions and he had the flub of that one Venus vote. Kenzie has been swimming the Yanu upstream and has generally good social and strategic prowess. She did just get excluded from the Tiff vote but there are good reasons for that which aren't her fault; she would have been the most likely to squeal. But she still has a good position and she's played an active game.

If I were a juror and FTC was between Charlie and Kenzie right now I'd vote for Kenzie.

I'd go the opposite way, I think Charlie's neck and neck with Maria, if not ahead. We've seen her defer to him a few times on what to do, and he seems better liked, plus he's got the immunity wins.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

The piranha challenge but everyone's gums are absolutely shredded by leafy spines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Oh ow, ouch, that Immunity choke...

My three season fantasy streak ends here; I simply didn't clock Charlie as the player he was and I'm paying for that (plus yet another -6 points for Venus going home with an idol).

I'm in the camp of thinking Maria is a decoy winner. My guess is her and Q as the next two out, with Charlie winning if he makes it through fire or Kenzie defaulting into victory against Liz and Ben.