Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
My cousin and his dad would take cows a couple hours drive to auction and on the way back, my uncle would have my cousin hold the steering wheel while he slept. My cousin would just say, "Dad." to wake him up for stop signs, turns, or to slow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Being the 1980s when I was really young WWF wrestling was of course quite popular. We had a "Ring" in the back yard that was just four broom handles stuck in the ground and some rope strung around it. We couldn't actually throw someone in to the ropes because the whole thing would get hosed up but there were some battle royals in the yard. Even better was that we had a tree that overhung part of the ring so some more adventurous neighborhood kids would climb the tree and jump off doing their best impressions of Jimmy Super Fly Snuka and Leaping Lanny Poffo.
We even had a belt. The "Dolly Madison belt" it consisted of the plastic top of a bucket of Dolly Madison ice cream (don't remember the flavor) and then on each side attached with string was the tin(?) lids from a couple cans of Ovaltine that were gold coloured.

I don't think the belt exists anymore which is unfortunate.

When I was older, my parents had an old station wagon and we went from my brothers towing me and each other (I wasn't old enough to drive yet) around parking lots on skis. Later it turned in to getting drunk or high and being towed around on GT Snow Racers in parking lots, before turning in to getting drunk or high (except the driver) and towing the GT snow racers around on public roads. We didn't go faster than about 50 (KMH) but it was lots of fun, and obviously dangerous. Especially when we were doing it once during a snow storm. Or maybe it was a bit safer? Fewer cars on the road and lots of snow to cushion falls. Even when one of the guys jumped out the back to try and tackle one of the GT drivers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
One time a few pals and I were playing some kind of WWF-style wrestling make-believe at the elementary school during the summer. My buddy grabbed me and slammed me down onto the ground, and my head hit something. When we looked at what it was, it was a jagged metal pipe sticking out of the ground. If I had landed a single inch further, it would have gone right into my skull.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
in california the fire works you buy from the stand in a parkinglot are very unimpressive so we would exchange knowledge of wierd poo poo you can do to make them cooler and more dangerous.

one 4th of july night in hs me and my best friend were on my roof modifying them and throwing them into the parking lot across the street to experiment to have more way to make them do wierd poo poo. the parking lot with the stand of fireworks. we made one of the whistling ones like dance in the air and fly far and we had figured out how to replicate it. i dont remember which one of us threw it but it went right into this tiny opening in the fire works stand and then we saw smoke coming out of the roof. we were panicing then we saw a block buster employee on a cell phone and we were like oh poo poo we are so hosed so we jumped off my roof and got on my little brothers bike and biked over to our friends house.

no consequences from it it didnt actually burn anything down but we never expirmented by throwing them off my roof again.

im suprised we didnt hurt ourselves and i wouldnt encourage anyone to do poo poo we did.

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 1, 2024

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

doing their best impressions of Jimmy Super Fly Snuka

There definitely is no statute of limitations for this.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This was universal for us '80s/'90s kids (and before): metal playground equipment. My elementary school had one of those metal slides and jungle gyms that warmed to 900 degrees on sunny days. There were days the jungle gym was so hot you could barely touch it. We also had a wooden playground structure that at the time seemed solid enough but was probably rickety as hell.

Incidentally, my elementary school building was from the late 1930s and was probably chock full of asbestos, so who knows what ailments I and my classmates will be getting later in life.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My hometown had wildly unsafe, and awesome, playground "equipment" that was mostly constructed with surplus creasote-soaked railroad ties. While I'm still waiting for the cancer to come due on that the city also has (still has!) a three story straight shot metal slide:

If you look closely you can see the kid ejecting dips at ten and twenty feet down. In the summer, my dad would buy a roll of wax paper and distribute speed enhancers to any neighborhood child who wanted one. You had to plant your feet at the bottom and skid the momentum off or you were in for a real bad time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My hometown had wildly unsafe, and awesome, playground "equipment" that was mostly constructed with surplus creasote-soaked railroad ties. While I'm still waiting for the cancer to come due on that the city also has (still has!) a three story straight shot metal slide:

If you look closely you can see the kid ejecting dips at ten and twenty feet down. In the summer, my dad would buy a roll of wax paper and distribute speed enhancers to any neighborhood child who wanted one. You had to plant your feet at the bottom and skid the momentum off or you were in for a real bad time.

don't let any cops near it

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Uncle Kelly used to rip us around Gramma's yard with his snowmobile pulling us on a car hood at christmas every year until my cousin went flying and busted his collarbone.

I once tied a rope to a cross tire iron and used it as a grappling hook. Worked pretty okay to climb trees with, but gave me six stitches when I misjudged the fall after missing with my throw.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

wesleywillis posted:

When I was older, my parents had an old station wagon and we went from my brothers towing me and each other (I wasn't old enough to drive yet) around parking lots on skis. Later it turned in to getting drunk or high and being towed around on GT Snow Racers in parking lots, before turning in to getting drunk or high (except the driver) and towing the GT snow racers around on public roads. We didn't go faster than about 50 (KMH) but it was lots of fun, and obviously dangerous. Especially when we were doing it once during a snow storm. Or maybe it was a bit safer? Fewer cars on the road and lots of snow to cushion falls. Even when one of the guys jumped out the back to try and tackle one of the GT drivers.

This reminded me that in our early teens we would go "hooky-bobbing". This involved a car and 2-3 kids hanging onto the bumper and being dragged standing down the icy roads while slowly speeding up. The driver would eventually fishtail or turn throwing everyone off onto the icy road. Good stuff.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I've heard of bricking but not seen it, and definitely not going to sleep in the back seat.

On vacations in our family's Winnebego my father kept a stick by the drivers seat. He would use it to lever the gas pedal into place so he could get up and walk around; mostly to go get a beer. Mom did not care for this and kept an eye on things from the passenger seat.

As a kid, I just assumed this was absolutely normal. (it was).

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Just flying down the highway in a driverless Winnebago, watching the vehicle slowly drift into the oncoming-traffic lane while Dad goes and gets a beer from the propane-powered fridge in the back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Internetjack posted:

This reminded me that in our early teens we would go "hooky-bobbing". This involved a car and 2-3 kids hanging onto the bumper and being dragged standing down the icy roads while slowly speeding up. The driver would eventually fishtail or turn throwing everyone off onto the icy road. Good stuff.

Hell yeah! We called it "Bumper hitching". Also fun as hell

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Internetjack posted:

nice, skate-hitching without the skates

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I didn't actually do a whole lot of dangerous stuff as a kid, I was physically fragile and terrified of being in trouble.

this was pretty much me too. did a bit of the roman candle silliness until one of my older cousins immolated one of the younger cousin's shirts with one but that's about it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq1EpleTsY0

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Szyznyk posted:

There definitely is no statute of limitations for this.

Ok, not THAT part of his act.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

There was this park in town that had big hills and kids would go there tobogganing in the winter.
In the summer we'd probably just go there to drink and smoke weed.
Then as teenagers we'd go there at night and drink, smoke weed and toboggan. It was pretty sweet going "beer-bogganing". Particularly as minors on school nights because whats cooler than being hung over for class while also possibly nursing some injuries from being drunk and deciding to crash in to your friend halfway down the hill? There were a few busts there though. We never got busted for drinking but the cops would show up regularly on weekends in particular and bust people for smoking weed. Surprisingly enough they'd usually just make you toss it and not actually charge you with anything unless you had a lot on you.

Surprisingly nobody got too injured, but a decade or so ago they banned tobogganing there which is bullshit even though I'm too old for that poo poo now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My first official job was working at a small coffee shop owned by the Russian mob.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I did a monstrous amount of dumb poo poo as a kid, lots of the same stuff as others have posted itt, but the one that still sorta haunts me to this day:
When I was 12 or so, my family went camping at a different, much further (and deeper) lake then we usually went camping at. My brother and I were screwing around, diving to try and reach the bottom. I got the great idea to ballast myself, so I filled up my shorts pockets with rocks, tied the drawstrings super duper tight, and nearly loving drowned.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My dad was a fatality investigator for OSHA when I was a kid.

I think he also did routine inspections but he talked more about the fatalities.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

My friends and I built a big cardboard boat and loaded it up with a bunch of old fireworks, lit it on fire, and sent it out into a lake hoping it would explode and sink. It instead turned into a rocket-propelled bonfire scooting in random directions and occasionally shooting rockets and debris at us. Our solution was to throw mortar shells at it like an insane game of Battleship, complete with letting the fuses cook so near misses would still explode at or around water level and damage the boat. It eventually burned to the waterline and went out, and nobody lost a hand somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Number_6 posted:

When I was little I was fascinated by putting water on hot things. At 4 or 5 I dimly remember dousing my dad's charcoal grill when he was cooking a steak. (I'm a fireman! :downs:) At about 6 I more distinctly remember spraying a very old, and extremely hot incandescent desk lamp with a water pistol at very close range. The bulb exploded and I got hot glass fragments in my hand. Probably still some in there today.

When I was 5 or 6 I remember being in the park with a supersoaker and deciding to shoot the lit lightbulb in the public restroom to see what would happen (it exploded). No one else saw this happen so I got away scot free, but I feel like I learned a lot about the world that day, like the concept of responsibility and that I should do my best to not explode things because it's actually really easy apparently