Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BCC Vs EKFTR 31 52.54%
Orange vs Wayne 11 18.64%
Skye vs Stat 14 23.73%
Jericho vs Atlantis Jr. 3 5.08%
Total: 59 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pylons posted:

Nah it ruled.

Darby is dumb and is going to break himself but goddamn it's a glorious train wreck right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Darby has gone on record speaking on Sting's last match and I quote

"A sacrifice must be made"

So....I await for Sunday and what stupidity Darby has thought up with excitement
:yeshaha:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A few notes:

1) I will again insist that Hangman is a good boy who has done nothing wrong and the crowd has turned heel on him for no reason. I had a dream that had something to the effect of Hangman cutting a promo challenging the audience to a Texas Death match.

2) I know I'm probably going to get dragged for this but I don't know if Swerve should be champ before he figures out how he can reconcile 'most heinous heel on the roster in terms of poo poo he's done' with having to play the face. MJF pulled it off because the story with him ever since the CM Punk story (and probably before) is that MJF is a super insecure child who acts loathsome because he's afraid to be seen as vulnerable and because he fears rejection. (I know it didn't land with some people but as somebody with severe rejection sensitive dysphoria* I felt a degree of sympathy even though his manifests differently than mine). Swerve is what MJF pretended to be. The crowd may cheer that and there's a lot of wiggle room on what a 'face' can be but playing the face while doing home invasions and video taping yourself maiming people wouldn't work so well.

3) I also think Joe is retaining because even though he is absolutely a stopgap champion Tony obviously loves Joe too much to have him be a belt pillow.

4) Does Copeland turn heel by beating down Garcia? Does Christian somehow turn face because he actually thinks of Nick as a son and will eventually sacrifice himself to save him? I'm imagining a situation where Killswitch becomes the first 'monster bullied by the person holding his chain' to stay heel while his tormentor turns face when he breaks free and beats Nick so badly that he loses all sympathy with the crowd.

*I once stopped a game I was playing because after 50+ hours because I couldn't handle NPCs being mad at me for a decision I made.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've been thinking about Garcia/Christian a lot today. I definitely think Copeland is coming back in that match, and they could very easily choose either outcome and have it make sense. Right now I'm leaning that Copeland costs Christian the title and it leads to them killing each other one last time, because the jump from the Conchairto into Copeland joining the Patriarchy as Crazy Uncle Adam is a little too big for me right now, as fun as it would be.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Could someone do me a favor and provide me a screenshot of Willow glaring at Stokely? Thx

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hangman is a 'heel' because his goal is ultimately to prevent Swerve from doing a thing simply because he didn't like the way Swerve won their match at WrestleDream. That's his right but he's dragged others down with his obsession (the Bucks) and has lashed out at people who aren't really as personally invested as he is (RVD and HOOK) and now he's used a duplicitous means to gain an advantage and has ultimately become the very thing he believed made Swerve an unworthy champion. Not only that, there's a very real possibility that the injury he dealt to Swerve could lead to him becoming a champion.

Swerve is a 'face' because his goal, while partially being selfish, is based around a genuine desire to bring AEW to new heights by becoming the first black champion. He believes that Hangman has no right to prevent him from accomplishing that goal and used extreme methods to get into his head. He's Killmonger.

They're both acting on the logic of the ends justifying the means, but Swerve's goal is more relatable, while Hangman's is based on an inability to get revenge for his family.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 29, 2024

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Pylons posted:

Hangman is a 'heel' because his goal is ultimately to prevent Swerve from doing a thing simply because he didn't like the way Swerve won their match at WrestleDream. That's his right but he's dragged others down with his obsession (the Bucks) and has lashed out at people who aren't really as personally invested as he is (RVD and HOOK) and now he's used a duplicitous means to gain an advantage and has ultimately become the very thing he believed made Swerve an unworthy champion.

Swerve is a 'face' because his goal, while partially being selfish, is based around a genuine desire to bring AEW to new heights by becoming the first black champion. He believes that Hangman has no right to prevent him from accomplishing that goal and used extreme methods to get into his head. He's Killmonger.

And Hangman is Frank Grimes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shard posted:

On the flip side Vince decided to go with a quick release for Owen because he wanted to do a stunt where he got stuck and then fell the rest of the way to the ring because it would be funny. Quick releases are not made to do that especially from that height. Vince threatened to fire Owen if he didn't do it the way he wanted and caused his death from extreme negligence.

i watched that poo poo live and didnt know any of this and makes it so much worse, gently caress

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Could someone do me a favor and provide me a screenshot of Willow glaring at Stokely? Thx

(I can get a bigger one if need be)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

Hangman is a 'heel' because his goal is ultimately to prevent Swerve from doing a thing simply because he didn't like the way Swerve won their match at WrestleDream. That's his right but he's dragged others down with his obsession (the Bucks) and has lashed out at people who aren't really as personally invested as he is (RVD and HOOK) and now he's used a duplicitous means to gain an advantage and has ultimately become the very thing he believed made Swerve an unworthy champion. Not only that, there's a very real possibility that the injury he dealt to Swerve could lead to him becoming a champion.

Yeah ultimately Swerve is a face because fans really like him and Hangman isn't because they don't, at least not at the moment. I agree that Swerve shouldn't be doing any more housebreaking but he shouldn't change too much else. The fans picked sides for whatever reason, might as well lean into it and reward their engagement, which is what they've been doing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The crowd still likes (or liked) Hangman. Just not when Swerve is on camera with him.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Swerve eventually doing sicker and sicker things because the crowd cheers for it, eventually goes to far by throwing juicebox into a furnace.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s also a natural element that Swerve feels like he’s earned his spot while Hangman doesn’t. So then Hangman playing games based on the premise of him being robbed of the opportunity makes him seem even more heelish when it’s revealed to be a ruse just to set up blindsiding Swerve.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
I actually liked the Hangman angle because it shows he is getting increasingly erratic and wants to take down Swerve no matter what, even if it means lying to the fans to do so. He is desperate not to lose to Swerve again, and as all good heels, he is completely in the right to do so.

Finding it increasingly hard to care about Jericho week after week. When the crowd barely cares about your intro song I think it is about time to take a few months off and figure this thing out.

Meat Monster match looks like it got pushed off due to someone not being able to appear or someone not wanting to job.

Sting coming down from the rafters rocked so hard even if I knew it was coming. The camera on that was top notch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Swerve including breaking into Hangman's home in his boasts towards Joe while Hangman was right there in the ring was so great, because I was already assuming that Hangman was plotting something, but whatever his timeline might have been for it got loving sped up right then :sickos:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If Jericho takes a few months off he isn't coming back. He's at the 11:55 of his career. I'm fine with that but I don't think he is.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Barry Bluejeans posted:

(I can get a bigger one if need be)

Thank you!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I liked Joe’s sicko face when hanger started beating on swerve

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I've been thinking about Garcia/Christian a lot today. I definitely think Copeland is coming back in that match, and they could very easily choose either outcome and have it make sense. Right now I'm leaning that Copeland costs Christian the title and it leads to them killing each other one last time, because the jump from the Conchairto into Copeland joining the Patriarchy as Crazy Uncle Adam is a little too big for me right now, as fun as it would be.

My dream scenario starts here and ends with a TLC match between Christian/Copeland, Nick Wayne/Jordan Oliver, and a reunited Jurassic Express. The third team can honestly be subbed for some else who makes sense, though - I’d like to see Jack Perry come back and do something different, but I can’t imagine they don’t hit on him and Luchasaurus at some point.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

ChrisBTY posted:

If Jericho takes a few months off he isn't coming back. He's at the 11:55 of his career. I'm fine with that but I don't think he is.

Sting is retiring at 65. We don't know how much longer he has, but what i do know is people at this point either need to miss him, he needs a new gimmick or both.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sting is an extreme outlier.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Sting needs a new gimmick, the Crow was 40 years ago.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

the hangman is innocent

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This is just my personal theory but I wonder if the end of the Golden Jets stuff was going to be Jericho turning on Kenny and then Kenny and Ibushi reuniting against a Callis family plus Jericho group.

It really felt like Jericho kinda disappeared for a while and is now completely directionless, while the Callis family is just now getting refocused thanks to Ospreay coming in.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

it actually comes out in June

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hangman is gonna tap out of spite from an inescapable Joe submission while Swerve races over to break it up, this is my official prediction

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jericho should change his gimmick to the Unknown, the masked chocolate maker who lives in the walls.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is just my personal theory but I wonder if the end of the Golden Jets stuff was going to be Jericho turning on Kenny and then Kenny and Ibushi reuniting against a Callis family plus Jericho group.

It really felt like Jericho kinda disappeared for a while and is now completely directionless, while the Callis family is just now getting refocused thanks to Ospreay coming in.

I think The Golden Jets were going to win the tag titles at Worlds End and then Takeshita and Hobbs were going to take them from them shortly after that.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What the hell is going on with the trios division? I feel like nobody knows; even the Bang Bang Scissor Gang come across like they don’t know what that angle is supposed to be.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Answers Me posted:

What the hell is going on with the trios division?

Literally nothing, it’s the worst thing in AEW

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Answers Me posted:

What the hell is going on with the trios division? I feel like nobody knows; even the Bang Bang Scissor Gang come across like they don’t know what that angle is supposed to be.

The past few times AEW came to my town the Acclaimed did a Rampage match. All of them were one of the better ones of the night and they are still mega-over. So in a sense I think it's all still working; they just don't have much of a story outside of being fun guys.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762848460401717474?t=QBQKvnSjU0y_-EFav6PR6w&s=19

Bad news bitch it's back!!!!!!! In Darby form!!!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

This is the purest of speculations but I wonder if Max's dad dying earlier this month affected the timing of whatever the plan was.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

oh no, julia misted ricky starks!!!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Speaking as someone for whom the original release was less than a week before my 14th birthday and also that's what we went to see for my birthday, I find this new Crow look to be deeply offensive and I never want to see it again.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gavok posted:

Jericho should change his gimmick to the Unknown, the masked chocolate maker who lives in the walls.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DLC Inc posted:

Hangman is gonna tap out of spite from an inescapable Joe submission while Swerve races over to break it up, this is my official prediction

This would be hilarious and incredible

gently caress this shiiiiittttttt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eat This Glob posted:

oh no, julia misted ricky starks!!!

lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was half expecting Sting to fly away with Darby like he did to DDP that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

shouldn't even be surprised but I still groaned in disgust at this