Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dan will earn more in F1 in a year than is likely in his remaining career in WEC.
Arguing he should go to WEC for guaranteed income is bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Speaking of badly driving reality stars is Fassbender still racing or did they finally revoke his keys?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Dan staying in F1 at this point is reliant on him being with RB next year, if he can nick points here and there and not get into crashes then he should be OK, but Red Bull is probably the worst environment to be a driver that needs a bit of time to stabilise.

Dan to haas? lmao.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

harperdc posted:

then he would safely be in the "don't need to do this for a big payday" category, right?

For a normal person sure. But F1 drivers come from money and grow up with the “more money all the time” attitude.

Let’s not pretend that any of these guys is escaping the guillotine*. They don’t live in Monaco for the weather.

* except for Albon

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Alonso and Sir Lewis Hamilton are cool and good as well

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

They are both cool. Good is subjective.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

Dan to haas? lmao.

At this point that might be a downgrade

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Two Good Lads meaning very well

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Newey has to be going to Ferrari. He's said he regretted never working with Hamilton, he was supposedly spotted near Maranello, and Ferrari taking a big pile of HP money screams that they need it or else the stable would never stoop so low.

I'm not sure what would be better though, if the gardening leave contract gets voided because of Horner drama, or if he takes gardening leave and spends an entire year just cooking up insane new ideas for a Ferrari WDC/WCC.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Newey thinks he can get out of his contract immediately then I'm just gonna assume he can, the guy has owned every single manchild team principal he's ever worked for.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
RBR was Newey's longest tenure at any F1 team wasn't it? Pisstian Hurrner learned the lesson of many teams before him and did everything he could to placate The Newey, but no mere earthly institution can claim ownership over The Newey. The Newey is a force beyond the grasp of human hands

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All that would have been required to keep Newey at Red Bull was Horner not abusing his PA

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
wonder if he truly disagreed with Horner’s behavior or saw an opportunity to get out and get paid even more

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adrian, release the second email

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

day 2 still unconfirmed however the kings sources are reliable. the kings honors ill not be impugned

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i hope ferrari wooed newey by letting him also design some wicked road car that i'll never be able to afford to look at

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

If Newey thinks he can get out of his contract immediately then I'm just gonna assume he can, the guy has owned every single manchild team principal he's ever worked for.

The man has made his career over finding loopholes, lmao if red bull even bother trying to keep him.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Elendil004 posted:

Newey has to be going to Ferrari. He's said he regretted never working with Hamilton, he was supposedly spotted near Maranello, and Ferrari taking a big pile of HP money screams that they need it or else the stable would never stoop so low.

I'm not sure what would be better though, if the gardening leave contract gets voided because of Horner drama, or if he takes gardening leave and spends an entire year just cooking up insane new ideas for a Ferrari WDC/WCC.

Newey to F1 itself to consult on the new regs, just before he retires. 2026 regs delayed slightly due to various things
Everybody fucks up the next set of regs because of weird new engines and weird new aero.

8+ Different winners in the first year, make it so.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

The man has made his career over finding loopholes, lmao if red bull even bother trying to keep him.

I want him to make a winning Ferrari for Lewis next year but the comedy option of him sabotaging Max’s Red Bull through design would also be funny

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Unlikely that he'd be able to do much in his 1st year other than set things up properly for the second year onwards, so a garden leave doesn't sound all that bad if he can 'influence' development while taking a year off.

unless...

Unless he already knows the design direction for the next prospective team (e.g. McLaren), knows the next best evolution for aero design in 2025 for that team, and has been provided "avenues" to influence design decisions for the 2025 car (in preparation for the 2026 regs.)

OR

All of this will make RBR put a 2x salary option to keep him around

:tinfoil:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

I want him to make a winning Ferrari for Lewis next year but the comedy option of him sabotaging Max’s Red Bull through design would also be funny

Poisoning the well on the way out is very culturally on brand for RBR.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

Dan to haas? lmao.

i would love this tbh, what kind of masochist does that make me

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

Ferrari don’t need Newey tbh. They just can’t have him designing another RBR. I think if he goes anywhere it’ll be Aston. He has a history with the company (not the team) anyways and even if he had to take gardening leave they can just send him to work on the WEC Valkyrie, a car which he already designed.

Zedd posted:

Newey to F1 itself to consult on the new regs, just before he retires. 2026 regs delayed slightly due to various things
Everybody fucks up the next set of regs because of weird new engines and weird new aero.

8+ Different winners in the first year, make it so.

Actually it should be this. Having a professional loophole finder actually writing the rules would be great.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 28, 2024

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A lot of big mega money contracts often have break clauses in them regarding reputational damage etc. Often in case the staff member does something mega racist or sex crimey, but the wording often works both ways.

I expect either Newey has got something in his contract he can use or a break clause about him suffering reputational damage by being associated with Red Bull now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bip Roberts posted:

Speaking of badly driving reality stars is Fassbender still racing or did they finally revoke his keys?

god I hope not because that webseries is the funniest thing I've ever seen

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

god I hope not because that webseries is the funniest thing I've ever seen

Driving around Le Mans in the dark and rain must be terrifying, I felt for the Pro drivers having to also navigate around a Hollywood race boy Prima Donna. Very entertaining.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Was Fassbender that bad? He just seemed pretty middling.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Well he was told to get off the track every time it started raining. So much so that they were worried he wouldn't get his minimum driving hours for the team to be eligible.

I guess he's decent enough - just severely lacking in confidence and needed to be constantly reassured by his pro driver team mates.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It was just the unintentional comedy of his increasingly exasperated team needing to put on a positive and supportive face every time he crashed or spun the car and started going into a depression spiral, which was roughly twice an episode. I'm sure he's fine as far as pro-am pay drivers go

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was just the unintentional comedy of his increasingly exasperated team needing to put on a positive and supportive face every time he crashed or spun the car and started going into a depression spiral, which was roughly twice an episode. I'm sure he's fine as far as pro-am pay drivers go

But enough about IMSA.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Movie stars deciding to go drive Porsches real fast instead is a long and venerable tradition. Godspeed to him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bip Roberts posted:

He's not in ELMS this year, Proton are using that entry to run the Iron Dames car on contract, which is why they're in a Porsche and the Lynx car is a Lambo.

Frond posted:

Was Fassbender that bad? He just seemed pretty middling.

Speedwise he was ok but he was an absolute bandit, culminating in him crashing into a prototype on his way out of the pits from serving a penalty for crashing into another one.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

he was lance stroll??

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-norris-facial-injury-miami-grand-prix-amsterdam-party

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
the dutch will do anything to keep our Good Lad down

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's rheys wiek, but do we care?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Maybe lando can be reborn with a giant facial scar, a whole new edgy persona, and actually win a thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He's out for revenge against the entire nation of the Netherlands

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

classic dutch people being not poggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004