Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Pretty sure I've posted pictures of my scratch made vegan dumplings in various threads before and it's been far too long since I've made any. This might be a perfect excuse, maybe I can carve out some time this weekend. Let this post haunt and shame me if I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

How's everyone getting on?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Dumplings made, pics taken, just need to get the time to post my thread.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

Nettle Soup posted:

How's everyone getting on?

I've got all my ingredients and recipes picked out. Last weekend I was a mess, so I'll be cooking this upcoming Friday-Saturday.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I made my first set of dumplings, only need to make the bao, and the subversive dumplings, which will be this weekend. And maybe the bonus dumplings.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I picked up the ingredients I’ll need earlier, might go out and get one more thing today. I’ll most likely be getting things ready tonight and make the dumplings tomorrow. Unless I find the energy to get it all done this evening, dumplings have been a powerful motivator for me in the past. Even picked up some pre made wrapper, frozen only sadly, but now I have no excuse!

It was my first time visiting the asian (thai) grocery store in this town, their original location is being renovated so the actual spot is much smaller but thankfully was able to find what I was looking for. Didn’t seem to be any other stores nearby which is a bit disappointing having lived in cities where I was spoiled for choice but I have what I need, so I’ll be good.

:toot:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Stuffed mochi are dumplings, aren't they? Vegan dumplings are technically cheating if they're candy.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Just finished making the wrappers and the stuffing, sitting down to actually make these things. Probably won't end up posting this evening, got a bit of a late start but will be putting together the post this week. I'm starved!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've accomplished my dumps. Thread will come up when I get a chance to do the writeup. Be prepared!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Looking forward to seeing what everyone's come up with!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Behold, my momos.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I was hoping my sourcing for jackfruit would be fruitful to have a second dumplings, but no luck. I did make some delicious non-vegan bao to feed my cravings, but nothing is holding me back from submitting my thread on the vegan ones tonight or tomorrow now

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Why do I always leave everything until the last minute?! Why do I always do this to myself?

My oyster mushrooms are moldy now. :sigh:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Aww. One day left to submit your threads, or TychoCelchuuu wins by default!

Can you use regular mushrooms?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

TychoCelchuuu's post and dumplings look amazing and if I'm honest, made my own attempt seem terrible in comparison. But, he deserves to actually win against someone and not by default. I will get my thread posted today.

edit: I'm working on it now.
edit2: finished with the photos, time to type

digitalist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 30, 2024

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am cooking today and posting either tonight or tomorrow!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I was hoping to preserve my photo file names which Imgur changes to keep myself organized, but post images is down, are there any other alternatives or should I just bite that bullet and go with Imgur?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Judge my Knish! Only posted 2 weeks after cooking them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:woop: They look great! I suck at pleats too, the ravioli method normally works for me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I ended up not giving myself enough cushion to do a vegan American goza

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

It is done, and it was delicious. Everyone's dumplings look great and I wish I could try them all!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I didn’t end up making dumplings, but I’ll post my ideas anyway.

Tabbouleh gyoza
Tex-Mex bao (veggies and beans in a hybrid masa/wheat bun)
Peanut butter and jelly bao as dessert.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah and I liked this idea too: cold borscht soup dumplings

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My dumplings are done! Post will be up tonight.

Minor spoiler: I made dessert

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Excellent looking dumps so far!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Thread is up!

Dumplings for Dessert!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I love all the sweet ideas, I'd never even considered it.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

My dumps are steaming now. I'll get in just under the wire!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I believe!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

digitalist posted:

I was hoping to preserve my photo file names which Imgur changes to keep myself organized, but post images is down, are there any other alternatives or should I just bite that bullet and go with Imgur?

I have only ever been able to get Imugr to work and even then, only on my desktop - not the phone app anymore since the last SA update.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I did it! Here are my crystal "egg" dim sums:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057493

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I love the see-through-ness of them, super pretty! and you have my pleating technique. Try a couple and then decide it's some sort of magic and give up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Let's see if this works. That should be 6am tomorrow for me and around 23:00 pst, 2am est

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 31, 2024

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I watched so many videos on folding and pleating dim sum techniques, they all make it look so easy! I tried three different shapes, but I haven't figured out how to make my fingers work that delicately.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Getting in under the wire: a trio of dumplings

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Looks good, I'll add it to the post in a minute and set up the judging thread!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Come vote for your favourites in this hastily slapped together poll! (because I thought I would be able to edit it again afterwards :v:)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4057569

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Digitalist made an ICSA 73 entry in Goons With Spoons, but never linked it to this thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057468&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Gasp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Ulillinguist posted:

Digitalist made an ICSA 73 entry in Goons With Spoons, but never linked it to this thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057468&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I can't believe I forgot to do this, thank you!

:ohdear: