Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ulillinguist posted:

I have never made bao buns and I haven't worked with yeast since junior high home ec class.

:ohdear: scared

I’d think bao are going to be quite a bit easier. You don’t really need to roll it out, just kinda shape the bun around the filling. I’ve made them before and I remember them being super easy, I feel like when you try to make thin stuff is when wheat doughs get difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My zucchini icsa entry had vegan dumplings, I should just make that again.

I’ll try and make an entry, it I’m not going to promise to do everything for one meal. Possibly two dumplings for a dinner then dessert separately.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Is the expectation a whole menu of dumplings, or just one dish? I normally do a big dinner party, but I think “vegan dumplings” is a bit limiting for having friends round…

IDK, I thought it’s usually like 3 dishes in the theme, one being a dessert. Like that’s how the zucchini one was but that’s the only one I ever did.

But I think I did some of them separately since it’s hard for me to make more than like 2 foods at once. I’m bad at multitasking.

OTOH I feel like there’s value in just doing whatever too? Like can’t make it too hard but IDK where that line is.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I didn’t end up making dumplings, but I’ll post my ideas anyway.

Tabbouleh gyoza
Tex-Mex bao (veggies and beans in a hybrid masa/wheat bun)
Peanut butter and jelly bao as dessert.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah and I liked this idea too: cold borscht soup dumplings