Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Likely: E drive suspect. Swap a new sata cable for it and try again.

If it's still crashing, leave e drive disconnected

It could be windows, it could be an ssd overheating, but the cable should be first I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
All these issues are a bit too out there for a mb swap to make sense yet, especially with an equally as old one. Unplug it and remove/reinsert the cmos battery and reseat all ram sticks.

I assume you did a reinstall already to the same effect?

If not, do so, on one ssd with a *new* cable(if possible). Do not transfer files. Do not use Nvidia drivers, use windows update. Do a fresh install of steam and install one thing to test using old drivers from windows update. Test with new drivers. If it's slow still swap to a different ssd, new cable.

Replacing this is fine too, it's a great market right now, go hog wild!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
This is going well. You understand the assignment and you will either find the problem, or everything will just work and you'll be clueless but relieved

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Every issue descrbed can be explained by a dying ssd and i/o timeouts so you probably nailed it.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
4th gen Intel are still worthwhile general computing chips. That system is fine still because you have good parts!

Good job taking advice and following through!

Re: Odd errors like the network dropping/black screen: files need to be loaded to memory, but not all files, always. Some networking files or drivers may have been needed in memory, but since they are on a drive, and your drives are acting up, files may not be loaded to memory and the connection drops because of it.

This is a generalization of course. Speculation, conjecture. It's all a network, man, a series of tubesssssssss :piss:

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Just post! I crave giving advice!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah it wouldnt surprise me to find some corrosion in the kb. You could probably open it up just enough to look at the keyboard cable at least. Usually liquid damage. 🙁Often it means keyboard replacement, sometimes it's just the cable though.

Type your model # into YouTube (not just legion, it has a model number too) and "disassembly" or "repair" to see how easy it may or may not be to clean the kb cable.

To see inside, generally you're just pulling off an access panel, like a breaker box door. You absolutely do not have to take it apart today or at any point, but you absolutely can and should just try to remove the bottom panel to look. Remove the panel carefully and slowly of you choose to.

(This is 100% my specialty by the way. Hardware and is where I thrive.)

You know yourself better than me though so feel free to nope out.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh this is why customer service guys go insane. I didn't say to take the kb out, just pop the cover and look. Read over my post again, but this time read it as a person who is capable of turning a screwdriver a bit and nothing scary. If you still don't want to unscrew a panel and look then all that's left is taking it to a shop or just living with it.

You likely have pins shorting in your usb port. Take a flashlight and look! Most people will cover it with tape and get an extension cable to bring a port to the front. I have multiple extension cables running to the front because my front usb ports are dongled up too.

You can try moving the usb header cable (if your board has another usb header) to confirm if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK that's perfect. Then it's the keyboard likely. Good idea to clean stuff out!