Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event are you looking forward to the most this month?
This poll is closed.
You already know how this gag works 2 9.09%
You're going to pick O'Malley vs Chito 1 4.55%
Unless you're really invested in Amanda Ribas 1 4.55%
Sean O'Malley vs Marlon Vera 2 0 0%
Corey Anderson vs Karl Moore 3 13.64%
Wait 3 13.64%
How did that get there 3 13.64%
Oh no, not more Beastin' 9 40.91%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/entertainment/ronda-rousey-reveals-years-concerning-200803773.html
Without watching that interview, I can't help but think this is moderately sour grapes.
I don't doubt that Ronda had concussions that made her overall development and mental health a lot more difficult.
I just don't think it jibes with accepting a heavier striking gameplan in her last few fights.

She quite understandably didn't like getting hit in the head. I remember when Tate won the belt she talked about getting back into camp but Nunes showed her the sport had moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UFC March: Stop talking, Paul... My producers are yelling at me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/entertainment/ronda-rousey-reveals-years-concerning-200803773.html
Without watching that interview, I can't help but think this is moderately sour grapes.
I don't doubt that Ronda had concussions that made her overall development and mental health a lot more difficult.
I just don't think it jibes with accepting a heavier striking gameplan in her last few fights.

yeah a judo olympian became a ufc champion by using an unstoppable arm bar then decided she was a professional boxer

we learned from her book that the champion mindset is to defy reality

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So she had concussion problems/concerns in the UFC, and then still went to the WWE for 4-6 years, and hid those issues from them, which she admits, tells me she wasn't taking the concussion issues seriously in the first place.

e: vvv (not sure if that was meant for me) agreed. starting a new career in an org notorious for injuries and concussions after you've suffered from them from your last 2 careers seems like a bad idea, not to mention the legal issues with hiding that info from them. vvv

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 24, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Have you ever been kicked in the mouth so hard you couldn't eat an apple for 6 months? I don't blame anyone for not enjoying the after effects of the Holly Holm kick.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Have you ever been kicked in the mouth so hard you couldn't eat an apple for 6 months? I don't blame anyone for not enjoying the after effects of the Holly Holm kick.
being styled on by Holly Holm doing bullfighter moves prior to said headkick probably did more long term psychic damage

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mr. Nice! posted:

idk seems like a skill issue to me

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Getting hit in the head really hard can gently caress you up in all sorts of ways and I'm inclined to believe someone when they say that. Just because someone got outclassed in a fight doesn't mean their struggles aren't real.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Spaced God posted:

idk seems like a skill issue to me

*skull issue

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

Getting hit in the head really hard can gently caress you up in all sorts of ways and I'm inclined to believe someone when they say that. Just because someone got outclassed in a fight doesn't mean their struggles aren't real.

Yeah I tend to agree. Rousey had a pretty hosed up, up bringing when you think about it as well and I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to her trust issues. I mean we're talking a lady who grew up without the best parents who spent her time in american judo, the olympics, the UFC and the WWE. She hasn't had anything resembling a normal life dealing with normal people doing normal things. She made a bunch of mistakes on her own and eventually you have to take responsibility for sure but still.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

mewse posted:

@mods is it possible to get some of our gang tags updated for dark mode? I added a white border so they should look the same in normal mode just much, much better in dark mode

vs

vs

Brut posted:

Okay so I tried to get this replaced so that it magically updates for everyone but that couldn't happen at this time, they are uploaded though, so anyone who currently has either of these tags and wants the updated dark mode version, post here and I will upgrade you!

Or here they are if you want to pay and do it yourself:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

COPE 27 posted:

My chief complaint is not that she is overstating how much concussions affected her career length or health. It’s that she consciously agreed to keep trying with staying on the outside and using terrible boxing in the face of those concussions.

BlindSite posted:

She made a bunch of mistakes on her own and eventually you have to take responsibility for sure but still.

Sure, she was far more susceptible to listening to Edmond that the average person. Really sad how much she didn’t listen to her mom over it.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Big fan of Andre Lima. He cheated so blatantly so many times in that fight that it somehow looped around and ended with his opponent banned from the UFC for cheating

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

My chief complaint is not that she is overstating how much concussions affected her career length or health. It’s that she consciously agreed to keep trying with staying on the outside and using terrible boxing in the face of those concussions.

Sure, she was far more susceptible to listening to Edmond that the average person. Really sad how much she didn’t listen to her mom over it.

Dustin said he was suicidal after his last loss and I don't remember a lot of criticism of him for trying to keep fighting.

These guys are literally getting brain damage for our entertainment on top of all the pressure and stress of combat and stardom and professional sports. I don't think it's realistic to expect people to be rational decision makers.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Dustin said he was suicidal after his last loss and I don't remember a lot of criticism of him for trying to keep fighting.
Poirier is a pretty complete fighter, so by your comparison, I wouldn’t criticize him because I think he has good avenues to victory against almost anyone.
I did criticize Rousey then and now for being so dogged about the boxing being her approach.

quote:

I don't think it's realistic to expect people to be rational decision makers.
That’s fair in general, but that irrationality adds a certain amount of caution about how to interpret her memoir. I’m certainly curious what it ends up saying about Edmond.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What's edmund up to these days

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

What's edmund up to these days

Still training Edmen and a few others right?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

please do not dog rousey's striking or edmund's coaching. prime ronda would have beat floyd mayweather in boxing

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

never forget the voices of the past

fatherdog posted:

Ronda would probably beat the 5-10 male bantamweights but Mighty Mouse is a bad example because he would probably beat the 2-10 male bantamweights and possibly #1 as well.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

CarlCX posted:

never forget the voices of the past

That must be one of the rare not Jim Miller related posts of theirs. That's the right person, right?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Joshua Fabia called out the mcdojolife guy to fight in the Karate Combat pit.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Eat This Glob posted:

please do not dog rousey's striking or edmund's coaching. prime ronda would have beat floyd mayweather in boxing
lol joe rogan literally said that about this:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

lmao how many different gifs of her doing this are there

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

He was still wrong but he literally didn't.

He said she would win if she could get a clinch and it was an MMA fight, he's still wrong but he didn't think Rousey could outbox Mayweather.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The beauty of the trajectory of MMA is that each day, we grow closer to that fight being a possibility, up until one of them dies.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Other things Floyd Mayweather would lose, probably, I dunno:

- a 1-on-1 basketball game with some dude who walked on at Washington State

- a shootout with some dude from a gang

- several hundred million dollars in bets on division 2 softball

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what was that screenshot about mental health or brain injuries that somehow mike perry was the voice of reason?

mewse
May 2, 2006

ilmucche posted:

what was that screenshot about mental health or brain injuries that somehow mike perry was the voice of reason?

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4q_pWIPJfM/?igsh=aGJ5MmpnbGRvcGdu
Sean Strickland confessing how often he’s having mental health episodes on social media:

To which Mike Perry of all people responded

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Mike Perry going from an mma fighter in an emotional and professional crisis to a comparatively level headed bare knuckle goat is one of my favorite combat sports stories.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Still training Edmen and a few others right?

commentary in that fight noted that Shabayzyan is now at extreme couture

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Noted flat earth believer Bryce Mitchell also has a personal concussion protocol of 6 months no sparring after a knockout, so he's also smarter than most athletic commissions and coaches

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Maybe the bigot on the verge of a violent nervous breakdown shouldn't be fighting

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I wanna see him get mulched by the African Champion again

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Maybe the bigot on the verge of a violent nervous breakdown shouldn't be fighting

We've been saying this about Conor for years

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Watching and enjoying Dong-hyun Kim in season 2 of Physical 100. The other contestants revere him.
In short, cannot loving wait for Zombie to show up on this. As far as I'm concerned, that's in their back pocket as long as they want to make another season.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I heard that Julian Erosa used his post fight interview to go after Lia Thomas, any truth to that?

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Majkol posted:

I heard that Julian Erosa used his post fight interview to go after Lia Thomas, any truth to that?

Unfortunately, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It was during his time with the press afterward rather than his direct in-cage interview, but yeah. We ain't gotta post it here because it was your obvious, awful violent transphobia fantasy bullshit, suffice to say gently caress Julian Erosa.