Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's March and Elon Musk is still a lawsuit-happy idiot scared of robots.

quote:

Elon Musk has sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman, saying they abandoned the startup's original mission to develop artificial intelligence for the benefit of humanity and not for profit.
The lawsuit filed late on Thursday in San Francisco puts the billionaire at loggerheads with the startup that he co-founded and is now the face of generative AI, partly due to the billions of dollars in funding from Microsoft (MSFT.O), opens new tab.
Musk alleged a breach of contract, saying Altman and co-founder Greg Brockman originally approached him to make an open source, non-profit company, but the startup established in 2015 is now focused on making money.
He sought a court ruling asking OpenAI to make its research and technology available to the public and prevent the startup from using its assets, including its most advanced AI model GPT-4, for the financial gains of Microsoft or any individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Beware the Ides of March.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's March and everything is stupider than ever, with no end in sight.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bored As gently caress posted:

Why? It's a dope album opener
https://youtu.be/rGJnjSATu50?si=fu4F4p8F5o9vmYez

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Beware the Ides Idiots of March.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

which do you like better ides or cds

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
What makes the grass grow?
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1763653293140513153

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

holy poo poo someone else who appreciates the pre-bruce maiden albums :worship:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kazinsal posted:

holy poo poo someone else who appreciates the pre-bruce maiden albums :worship:

phantom of the opera is the greatest thing they ever did and that's not to take away from everything else it's a comment on how loving incredible the breakdown is

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hmm, guess I won't be putting my ChatGPT subscription on hold.
"Blood blood blood!" as said by my brother flight. Cue my TI (USAF drill sergeant), who tells them that she thought water makes grass grow, and could any of them provide scientific evidence of how blood makes things grow? Cue silence.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

"Blood blood blood!" as said by my brother flight. Cue my TI (USAF drill sergeant), who tells them that she thought water makes grass grow, and could any of them provide scientific evidence of how blood makes things grow? Cue silence.

Jesus the Air Force really are a bunch of fuckin' nerds.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Weaponized nerds, thank you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Well, yeah. Have you seen the giant anime swords?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Kazinsal posted:

Well, yeah. Have you seen the giant anime swords?
I'm hoping we dumped that poo poo on the Space Force *shudder*, but knowing life, we probably didn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://youtu.be/VOFxUM7aOzs?si=d9KCf6o-l3tk438J

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

"Why did he post the intro to Wrathchild?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm hoping we dumped that poo poo on the Space Force *shudder*, but knowing life, we probably didn't.

Best we can do is two services with embarrassing anime swords

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I know from personal experience that blood eventually makes the grass grow thick and luscious, but first you have a carpet of flies and an unholy stink to deal with.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1764380263587459432?t=kYEm9fukFxbbtyUTeDms3w&s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://wapo.st/49X24Ak

Fears of environmental disaster rise as ship sinks after Houthi attack

quote:

A cargo ship sank in the Red Sea after an attack by Houthi militants, taking some 21,000 metric tons of fertilizer down with it, posing a significant environmental risk to one of the world’s busiest waterways and the home of many coral reefs.

The Rubymar was struck by an anti-ballistic missile fired by the Iranian-backed Houthis on Feb. 18 and sank early Saturday after “slowly taking on water” since the attack, U.S. Central Command said on social media early Sunday local time.

“The approximately 21,000 metric tons of ammonium phosphate sulfate fertilizer that the vessel was carrying presents an environmental risk in the Red Sea,” Centcom said, adding that the ship “also presents a subsurface impact risk to other ships transiting the busy shipping lanes of the waterway.”

The ship’s sinking “will cause an environmental disaster,” the Yemeni government said in a separate statement.

The Houthi attack last month caused an 18-mile oil slick and forced the crew to abandon the ship. The Djibouti Ports and Free Zones Authority, which coordinated the rescue of the Rubymar’s crew members, said the fertilizer onboard was classified as “very dangerous.”

quote:

The Rubymar was heading to Belarus from the United Arab Emirates when it was targeted, The Washington Post reported at the time.

What

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

psydude posted:

https://wapo.st/49X24Ak

Fears of environmental disaster rise as ship sinks after Houthi attack
Nothing says standing up for the people suffering ethnic cleansing in Gaza like polluting one's own coastline with oil and algae! I wonder what dubious ties are being made between the ship and Israel by those who are justifying these attacks.

Another source says Bulgaria, so possibly just a typo? Or just a final destination of the cargo after unloading?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nothing says standing up for the people suffering ethnic cleansing in Gaza like polluting one's own coastline with oil and algae!

Oh word did the Houthi conflict just spin up as a result of events of the last few months in Gaza?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nothing says standing up for the people suffering ethnic cleansing in Gaza like polluting one's own coastline with oil and algae! I wonder what dubious ties are being made between the ship and Israel by those who are justifying these attacks.

It's a UK owned ship flagging in Belize.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That Works posted:

Oh word did the Houthi conflict just spin up as a result of events of the last few months in Gaza?

Last I checked they decided to take on the world shipping right off their own coast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crab Dad posted:

Last I checked they decided to take on the world shipping right off their own coast.

Kind of ignores its been an ongoing conflict for years though.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

That Works posted:

Kind of ignores its been an ongoing conflict for years though.
Can you expand on your point? I'm not seeing how it's intended to push back against the fact that the spate of shipping attacks is recent and (cynically) rhetorically justified by the perpetrators as being a defense of Gaza.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Can you expand on your point? I'm not seeing how it's intended to push back against the fact that the spate of shipping attacks is recent and (cynically) rhetorically justified by the perpetrators as being a defense of Gaza.

Why is it cynical?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Why is it cynical?

At the very best, it's nonsensical. They've been attacking ships that are not parties to the conflict to the point where China agreed under the table to pressure Iran to tell them to stop.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Can you expand on your point?

Maybe after you answer my initial question.

Or really nah I dont even want to engage on it further. Houthi's have been in an ongoing conflict for years (since ~2011), the expansion of which is used to try to leverage support from some potentially allied states by recently attempting to link their struggle to that of Palestine to garner further support.

To try to link a potential environmental disaster as problematic to a group fighting for their own existence and sovereignty (? unclear to me tbh) and to point out its some kind of stretch just ignores the practical realities of the Houthi conflict that's been occurring for years.

That Works fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 4, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Why is it cynical?

It is from one of the two viewpoints that exists on the Internet. Namely the one that are seeing the houthis as making someone else's tragedy about themselves for attention, and not the other, which thinks the houthis are sincere.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
In any case, wow, that seems very Not Good.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

That Works posted:

Maybe after you answer my initial question.

Or really nah I dont even want to engage on it further. Houthi's have been in an ongoing conflict for years, the expansion of which is used to try to leverage support from some potentially allied states by recently attempting to link their struggle to that of Palestine to garner further support.

To try to link a potential environmental disaster as problematic to a group fighting for their own existence and sovereignty (? unclear to me tbh) and to point out its some kind of stretch just ignores the practical realities of the Houthi conflict that's been occurring for years.
I'm not sure why you think your question is some kind of gotcha. The ongoing Saudi intervention in the Yemen civil war is dumb, imperialistic, and has received more US support than it should have. This does not, however, justify declaring open season on unrelated civilian shipping (much less exploiting the deaths in Gaza in doing so).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Namely the one that are seeing the houthis as making someone else's tragedy about themselves for attention

I have to see any Palestinian leader of any note, or anyone who is not American/British/Israeli for that matter, actually make this argument.

I have a hard time believing the Houthi's concern over Gaza is more cynical than people who claim to be concerned about Gaza/merchant mariners/yemeni women while still supporting US/UK intervention on Israelis behafl

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I have to see any Palestinian leader of any note, or anyone who is not American/British/Israeli for that matter, actually make this argument.

I have a hard time believing the Houthi's concern over Gaza is more cynical than people who claim to be concerned about Gaza/merchant mariners/yemeni women while still supporting US/UK intervention on Israelis behafl

I'm failing to see how being concerned for civilian casualties, environmental damage, and the escalation of the war is a zero sum game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm not sure why you think your question is some kind of gotcha. The ongoing Saudi intervention in the Yemen civil war is dumb, imperialistic, and has received more US support than it should have. This does not, however, justify declaring open season on unrelated civilian shipping (much less exploiting the deaths in Gaza in doing so).

We could easily find out if the Houthis were cynical and willing to hold up their end of the bargain and take away any justification the Houthis have for their actions by bombing the Knesset and an IDF HQ or two, and stop the genocide in Gaza all at the same time.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah I know that's your outlook. But honestly, porque no los dos? We're millennials, when is anyone of us not cynically defaulting to everyone else is cynical and also wants attention

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

psydude posted:

I'm failing to see how being concerned for civilian casualties, environmental damage, and the escalation of the war is a zero sum game.

It's not. In fact, almost any action seeking to bring an end to the genocide in Gaza or make Israel weaker is a probably a net positive by any reasonable accounting. Given 100% of the civilian causalities so far have been civilians in Yemen and Gaza, the focus on the Houthis is strange. The only civilians killed by Houthi forces are Yemenis on the other side of the civil war, and that I would agree is entirely unrelated to the Israel thing as much as anything can be in the middle east.

The war was escalated by the IDF killing thousands of children in my opinion far more than the Houthis shooting at merchant ships. If anything, firing on material and imposing economic restrictions to end hostilities and genocide seems like an attempt at deescalation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

We could easily find out if the Houthis were cynical and willing to hold up their end of the bargain and take away any justification the Houthis have for their actions by bombing the Knesset and an IDF HQ or two, and stop the genocide in Gaza all at the same time.
If some guy on the street starts punching delivery workers and yells that his actions are a protest against police brutality, you do not, in fact, have to take his word for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It's not. In fact, almost any action seeking to bring an end to the genocide in Gaza or make Israel weaker is a probably a net positive by any reasonable accounting. Given 100% of the civilian causalities so far have been civilians in Yemen and Gaza, the focus on the Houthis is strange. The only civilians killed by Houthi forces are Yemenis on the other side of the civil war, and that I would agree is entirely unrelated to the Israel thing as much as anything can be in the middle east.

The war was escalated by the IDF killing thousands of children in my opinion far more than the Houthis shooting at merchant ships. If anything, firing on material and imposing economic restrictions to end hostilities and genocide seems like an attempt at deescalation.

Ok but how is attacking civilian shipping from uninvolved countries furthering these objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wrecking my own coastline to own the Israelis.