Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DC has a substantial number of primary voters who thought that a mob was going to lynch them on January Sixth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Have you pulled the string on this argument to see where it goes, because I feel relatively confident it isn't anywhere good.
Kurtz's reference in Apocalypse Now to Viet Cong amputating limbs in a village in response to American-led vaccination efforts was fictional, as far as I know, but it's all too easy to see some defending such violence, were it real. Fighting against imperialism does not give carte blanche to commit atrocities, nor should the criticism of onlookers be silenced in the face of such (or, for that matter, lesser, but still blatantly counterproductive tactics).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's no way an approach of "pull out all the stops, the ends 100% justify the means" can be trusted to end once occupiers are ejected. That way of doing things has a habit of just carrying over once it's time to, like, run a government.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Kurtz's reference in Apocalypse Now to Viet Cong amputating limbs in a village in response to American-led vaccination efforts was fictional, as far as I know, but it's all too easy to see some defending such violence, were it real. Fighting against imperialism does not give carte blanche to commit atrocities, nor should the criticism of onlookers be silenced in the face of such (or, for that matter, lesser, but still blatantly counterproductive tactics).

In a more modern context, it turned out the CIA used fake vaccinations during the gwot to take DNA samples to plan executions. Is it still counterproductive for people in that environment to resist foreign vaccination campaigns? Probably, but I'm not sure we're in a place to judge when we're the ones undermining this trust in the first place.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Are you suggesting this is a complex issue or something?

I would never we should just bomb Isreal cause a bombing campaign sounds like it will solve all problems.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

I would never we should just bomb Isreal cause a bombing campaign sounds like it will solve all problems.

You need to think bigger. Glass the planet.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The most progressive thing you can do is launch the big one

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

One?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Make sure you salt it with cobalt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In a more modern context, it turned out the CIA used fake vaccinations during the gwot to take DNA samples to plan executions. Is it still counterproductive for people in that environment to resist foreign vaccination campaigns? Probably, but I'm not sure we're in a place to judge when we're the ones undermining this trust in the first place.

The vaccinations were reportedly real in the sense that real hepatitis B vaccines were used, but the CIA’s goons pulled out and the kids didn’t get their second and third doses, so efficacy is highly dubious.

So it was a fake (vaccine program), but not a (fake vaccine) program.

Does it change much? Probably not. It’s just weird how history remembers this one.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the JJ posted:

I think the Houthis are betting that 20000 Gazan children are more sympathetic victims than nebulous shell companies, international shipping magnates, and the general concept of the Market

to the general public sure

to the people that care about international shipping and the people that pay attention to the Saudi-Houthi war, not so much

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FrozenVent posted:

Just a reminder to please be nice to each others.

Hey man, I'm genuinely posting in earnest, and I don't understand why you believe I'm acting in bad faith or what you mean by that or want me to change. I don't know if you feel like there's some sort of bad blood or something and why you're upset about me PMing you but I'm always happy to squash it if you do. I apologize if I've ever offended or wronged you, sincerely. I have no idea what that would be and you won't communicate with me though.

But I do think it's very unreasonable for what to me feels like a situation where my conduct is super-heavily subject to moderation, which again, I don't understand what you feel I'm doing wrong and you won't explain, while small number of posters are making hostile and competently baseless claims that I'm part of some secret CPSAM troll discord or something. I'm really trying to be cordial and respectful even though I vehemently disagree with some people here, and I feel like it's become acceptable for certain people or people on certain sides of an argument to be nasty and I really don't like it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Hey man, I'm genuinely posting in earnest, and I don't understand why you believe I'm acting in bad faith or what you mean by that or want me to change. I don't know if you feel like there's some sort of bad blood or something and why you're upset about me PMing you but I'm always happy to squash it if you do. I apologize if I've ever offended or wronged you, sincerely. I have no idea what that would be and you won't communicate with me though.

But I do think it's very unreasonable for what to me feels like a situation where my conduct is super-heavily subject to moderation, which again, I don't understand what you feel I'm doing wrong and you won't explain, while small number of posters are making hostile and competently baseless claims that I'm part of some secret CPSAM troll discord or something. I'm really trying to be cordial and respectful even though I vehemently disagree with some people here, and I feel like it's become acceptable for certain people or people on certain sides of an argument to be nasty and I really don't like it.

you already got caught running stuff back to CSPAM once dude, you'll forgive us if we aren't going to extend you the benefit of the doubt from that point on

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The Taliban's leadership isn't stupid. They're almost assuredly aware of the health and economic benefits of vaccines, but they also can't be seen as reversing course on something they've preached for so long. They're no longer a plucky insurgent group - they run the entire country, so they also accept the responsibilities that come with doing so.

e: In other words, governments don't get to escape responsibility or criticism for the way they govern and the decisions they make even when there's beliefs held at the individual level

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 4, 2024

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

lightpole posted:

Bombing campaigns, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

psydude posted:

https://wapo.st/49X24Ak

Fears of environmental disaster rise as ship sinks after Houthi attack

What

quote:

The Rubymar was struck by an anti-ballistic missile fired by the Iranian-backed Houthis on Feb. 18

Can’t re enter there mate.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1764668242914619418?t=gFaA-D_3YW5wNHn6uZO3hw&s=19

no shock here, 9-0 Donnie stays on ballot, only Congress can toss people on 14th amendment stuff

the "Congress only" bit appears to be 5-4, as the other four wouldn't have specified that

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1764669055989063836?t=ROuZMlTp3wdCYcL4twmJZw&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 4, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1764668242914619418?t=gFaA-D_3YW5wNHn6uZO3hw&s=19

no shock here, 9-0 Donnie stays on ballot, only Congress can toss people on 14th amendment stuff

the "Congress only" bit appears to be 5-4, as the other four wouldn't have specified that

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1764669055989063836?t=ROuZMlTp3wdCYcL4twmJZw&s=19

Ah yes, because States only are allowed to rule on LGBTQ and Women's Rights.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No state has ever used section three like this except the times that it was used but we’re going to ignore that

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, because States only are allowed to rule on LGBTQ and Women's Rights.

Yeah basically. If a state wants to DQ a presidential candidate, nope can't do that, Congress has to under the 14th. If Congress wants to enforce the 14th with the voters rights act, nope can't do that, only states can.

The calvinball is also really stupid because as the dissent mentioned - per the 14th amendment, it takes a supermajority to remove the insurrection finding. That's... not how Congress works for either passing or repealing laws, which the supreme court is now requiring for the insurrection finding/removal.

Though it is consistent of current court jurisprudence that the 14th amendment doesn't really exist when they don't want it to!

Edit: and an added bonus

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1764677370579976414?t=d2pt6UkBRg8LjUYdAOrA_A&s=19

Ain't poo poo gonna stop a J6er winning a Republican primary and coasting to Congress in a safe seat.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 4, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah basically. If a state wants to DQ a presidential candidate, nope can't do that, Congress has to under the 14th. If Congress wants to enforce the 14th with the voters rights act, nope can't do that, only states can.

The calvinball is also really stupid because as the dissent mentioned - per the 14th amendment, it takes a supermajority to remove the insurrection finding. That's... not how Congress works for either passing or repealing laws, which the supreme court is now requiring for the insurrection finding/removal.

Though it is consistent of current court jurisprudence that the 14th amendment doesn't really exist when they don't want it to!

Edit: and an added bonus

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1764677370579976414?t=d2pt6UkBRg8LjUYdAOrA_A&s=19

Ain't poo poo gonna stop a J6er winning a Republican primary and coasting to Congress in a safe seat.

It would seem like the far more logical way to do this would be to say something like “congress has the power to remove the restriction and congress implicitly determines the validity of all winning candidates so it’s solely up to congress to determine their procedures”.

However discarding the VRA because the constitution’s explicit granting of power over solely elections to congress wasn’t good enough for the court kinda throwing a huge wrench into that one. At least “states can’t do this stuff unilaterally” is 9-0 because that could go all sorts of crazy directions otherwise.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I do wonder what this would have looked like in a functional government. I assume it would have started by first actually opening investigations and poo poo before J6 and especially immediately afterwards and not "well, we'll let Trump stash all this poo poo in the shitter for two years before-- :monocle:"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lightpole posted:

ill knock on doors for Joe if he lets the boys at Whiteman do their thing

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

I do wonder what this would have looked like in a functional government. I assume it would have started by first actually opening investigations and poo poo before J6 and especially immediately afterwards and not "well, we'll let Trump stash all this poo poo in the shitter for two years before-- :monocle:"

As obsessed as I am with points of no return, I have a whole bunch:

- Democrats put up some semblance of a fight in the Cannon confirmation hearing and/or Florida district court nominations (no chudge to slow things down)

- Republicans in Senate either convict on base impeachment counts or agree that Donnie can no longer hold an office (would end that)

- FBI actually starts listening sooner to the National Archives way sooner that Donnie was keeping papers (in the shitter)

- Garland et al at the DOJ cut out the decorum poo poo and raid much earlier

- Appeals court doesn't sit on the J6 case for half of forever

- Supreme Court suddenly dechudifies and doesn't give a delay of 150 days on the J6 case

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

No state has ever used section three like this except the times that it was used but we’re going to ignore that

Turns out that it wasn't really a true 9-0 / 5-4. More of a 6-3, but the dissent was flipped into a concurrence at some point. Maybe it was to attract that wackyass Barrett BUT DECORUM concurrence or some dumb poo poo.

https://twitter.com/JakeTruscott_44/status/1764723582947475820?t=PdlnDaUbBXSjK8RAYM2s5w&s=19

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1764786371258966442?s=20
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1764781238550680002
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...xt=March%204%20(Reuters)%20-%20A,Justice%20Department%20said%20on%20Monday

quote:

David Franklin Slater, 63, was taken into custody in Nebraska on Friday on a three-count federal indictment. He was expected to make an initial court appearance on Tuesday. The indictment accuses Slater of giving classified material by email and online messages about the Russia-Ukraine war to someone claiming to be a woman living in Ukraine.

If you are 63 and a "hot 22 year old" starts coming on to you, you should be at least a little suspicious

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you're that old maybe don't go Russian into a relationship :dadjoke:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress what a loving idiot

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zamujasa posted:

if you're that old maybe don't go Russian into a relationship

holy poo poo :lmao:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

:lol:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Dude got honeypoted without the honey.

He just got potted.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
At that age the stripper pretending to love you is close enough to real to fill the empty void.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
once a lieutenant colonel, always a lieutenant colonel

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy gently caress that is incredibly blatant, what a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BrianGitt/status/1764699036479873501?t=H6p7WUzb8Zb3-bwjLIobgg&s=19

:yeshaha:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

Thread title right here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess if we’re on a 30 year delayed shadowrun timeline we should get magic in the 2040s.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Anti-Trust regulators are loving useless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazon Basics coolant valves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Dude got honeypoted without the honey.

He just got potted.

Appropriate, since he appears to have the self-awareness of a houseplant.