Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

psydude posted:

Hogan's not going to win the Senate race, but at the same time even the most hardened MD Democratic partisan will begrudgingly admit that he ran a perfectly cromulent administration.

hogan +13 over the dems in latest poll:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/2024/maryland/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hannibal Rex posted:

IMPORTANT NEWS: Uganda made wrestling great again. Lord White got what was coming to him.

https://x.com/SGWug/status/1773081312158449865?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ztrdCBIOU

Is kayfabe still a thing? Is this as scripted as it looks?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kesper North posted:

Is kayfabe still a thing? Is this as scripted as it looks?

Is that a serious question?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

One of the same polls finding Hogan up by that much also found a Democratic preference for Senate control by +20.

Won't happen once the Democratic candidate is determined (it's still a race in the primary) and the race gets polarized like all late senate races do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cythereal posted:

Sweden made an odd choice of music for the ceremony in Brussels.

https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1773327617694847309

Nice! That was my favorite trek film.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Nice! That was my favorite trek film.

It's a drat fine one, but I still think it should have been a proper DS9/TNG crossover film.

You can totally hear Sisko yelling the line "Jean-Luc, blow up the drat ship!" in your head now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pygmy tyrant posted:

Disagree, if the bridge is continuously being exposed to substantially greater than the expected hazards then someone has hosed up and a reevaluation of safety and retrofit is necessary. If it was reevaluated and found safe then either a standard needs to be changed or someone needs to lose their stamp. If it was found too expensive to retrofit then budget allocations need fixing and maybe some politicians should be made to wear that albatross. There's no case where the bridge side of the equation doesn't deserve some fault and scrutiny.

Didn't think i'd see an unironic "Why didn't they just ship proof the bridge" post but here we are.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is that a serious question?

Man I know gently caress all about wrestling, I have no idea

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kesper North posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another wrestler, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Kurt Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Kurt Angle KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. See Joe, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kazinsal posted:

It's a drat fine one, but I still think it should have been a proper DS9/TNG crossover film.

You can totally hear Sisko yelling the line "Jean-Luc, blow up the drat ship!" in your head now.

Maybe… but considering how good DS9 ended & there being 1.5 good TNG movies I’m alright with what we got. There was the What We Left Behind DS9 documentary that’s a 10/10 recommend.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

CainFortea posted:

Didn't think i'd see an unironic "Why didn't they just ship proof the bridge" post but here we are.

My point isn't that they should ship proof the bridge my point is that it would be a mistake to not take umbrage with and scrutinize the bridge component of the incident. Trusting administrative controls to prevent disaster is basically a textbook engineering ethics case study in What Not To Do, and yet, is exactly what was done. Whoever made the decision to needs to be under a microscope.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pygmy tyrant posted:

Whoever made the decision to needs to be under a microscope.

The NTSB is investigating.

So yes, someone is about to have their rear end crawled into by two guys in windbreakers carrying a flashlight.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Or two guys in one windbreaker, uwu

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're curious how this collision is going to affect bridge construction, the #1 candidate to watch will be the new bridge being built over the Mobile River and Mobile Bay over the next ten years.

Baltimore was the 8th biggest port in America.

Mobile is the 9th. And the bridge will be going right over the ship traffic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

pygmy tyrant posted:

My point isn't that they should ship proof the bridge my point is that it would be a mistake to not take umbrage with and scrutinize the bridge component of the incident. Trusting administrative controls to prevent disaster is basically a textbook engineering ethics case study in What Not To Do, and yet, is exactly what was done. Whoever made the decision to needs to be under a microscope.

The people who made those decisions are at best 80 to 90 and otherwise dead of old age and lung cancer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GD_American posted:

If you're curious how this collision is going to affect bridge construction, the #1 candidate to watch will be the new bridge being built over the Mobile River and Mobile Bay over the next ten years.

Baltimore was the 8th biggest port in America.

Mobile is the 9th. And the bridge will be going right over the ship traffic.

I work in downtown San Diego. Maybe I should stop by the next city council meeting and listen to the inevitable shouting about the Coronado bridge.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

FrozenVent posted:

The NTSB is investigating.

So yes, someone is about to have their rear end crawled into by two guys in windbreakers carrying a fleshlight.

This is what I read.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Maybe… but considering how good DS9 ended & there being 1.5 good TNG movies I’m alright with what we got. There was the What We Left Behind DS9 documentary that’s a 10/10 recommend.

I think you're generous by at least 1.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I work in downtown San Diego. Maybe I should stop by the next city council meeting and listen to the inevitable shouting about the Coronado bridge.

Unless something has changed in the 30 years since I left, a whole lotta San Diego wouldn't mind the land link to the people of Coronado being severed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nick Soapdish posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another wrestler, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Kurt Angle to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Kurt Angle KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. See Joe, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice.

I just watched this clip again yesterday and it's remarkable. I always love when wrestlers namedrop the upcoming pay-per-view in a promo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GD_American posted:

Unless something has changed in the 30 years since I left, a whole lotta San Diego wouldn't mind the land link to the people of Coronado being severed.

If they think it'd make traffic better, it wouldn't.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pygmy tyrant posted:

Whoever made the decision to not make the bridge bote proof are all dead.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think you're generous by at least 1.

I'd say Generations and Insurrection are both worth a 0.25. I don't remember poo poo all about Nemesis.

Kesper North posted:

I don't follow much modern wrestling (some of AEW's stuff is entertaining though) but for people who don't know much about pro wrestling at all, my go-to match to recommend is Mankind vs. The Undertaker, 1998. Exactly zero of the athletics in that were scripted except for one thing that almost didn't work. It's just two big strong dudes putting every ounce of strength they have into putting on a fantastic goddamn show.

There's a reason it's a single match that has its own Wikipedia page. People fuckin' study that one because of how iconic it is.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just watched this clip again yesterday and it's remarkable. I always love when wrestlers namedrop the upcoming pay-per-view in a promo.

Some modern Wrestler cut that same promo names replaced recently.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CainFortea posted:

Whoever made the decision to not make the bridge bote proof are all dead.

I'm told the bridge did have 'dolphins' (concrete anti-ship bollards) rated to stop a ship of that size. But they were positioned to stave off a direct hit, not a sideswipe (which is what actually happened).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CainFortea posted:

I would have simply raised the channel. :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I recently learned that there's a Jones Act equivalent for dredging ships. So no foreign dredging ships allowed. And the absence of competition allegedly led to the US dredging fleet being woefully outdated. I came across this quote in an article that was especially noticeable:

quote:

while a recent study from Tulane University found that "the combined capacity of the U.S. [hopper dredge] fleet is less than a single EU [European Union] dredging vessel."

I have zero knowledge about dredging, is that quote misleading in that the "hopper dredge fleet" is just a small subsection of the overall US dredging fleet, or are there foreign ships out there that really rival the capacity of the combined US dredging fleet on their own?

There was also this quote that I found interesting:

quote:

When there's not a crisis, the Foreign Dredge Act is still a problem. It is one of the main reasons why American ports generally have smaller shipping channels and lower capacity than ports in other parts of the world.

If all of that really is true, this seems like a very unnecessary self inflicted wound. I can at least see the argument for the Jones Act, but it hardly seems like a national security issue if the dredging fleet is mostly foreign-owned and operated. And if you are really, really keen on preserving a national dredging capability, mandate the navy to maintain some dredges? It seems like much of the cleanup of the Baltimore harbor will be done by the Army (?) Corps of Engineers, so the military is doing something like this already anyway.

Here's the article for those curios:

https://reason.com/2024/03/27/the-obscure-protectionist-law-that-will-slow-clean-up-of-the-baltimore-bridge-disaster/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I recently learned that there's a Jones Act equivalent for dredging ships. So no foreign dredging ships allowed. And the absence of competition allegedly led to the US dredging fleet being woefully outdated. I came across this quote in an article that was especially noticeable:

I have zero knowledge about dredging, is that quote misleading in that the "hopper dredge fleet" is just a small subsection of the overall US dredging fleet, or are there foreign ships out there that really rival the capacity of the combined US dredging fleet on their own?

There was also this quote that I found interesting:

If all of that really is true, this seems like a very unnecessary self inflicted wound. I can at least see the argument for the Jones Act, but it hardly seems like a national security issue if the dredging fleet is mostly foreign-owned and operated. And if you are really, really keen on preserving a national dredging capability, mandate the navy to maintain some dredges? It seems like much of the cleanup of the Baltimore harbor will be done by the Army (?) Corps of Engineers, so the military is doing something like this already anyway.

Here's the article for those curios:

https://reason.com/2024/03/27/the-obscure-protectionist-law-that-will-slow-clean-up-of-the-baltimore-bridge-disaster/

The civil-military component of USACE is basically a massive project management organization. They're going to contract a lot of the work out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

Hogan's not going to win the Senate race, but at the same time even the most hardened MD Democratic partisan will begrudgingly admit that he ran a perfectly cromulent administration.

He ran a cromulent admin thanks to the dem controlled legislature. Otherwise Hogan sucked poo poo, and he basically got credit for the Dem legislature constantly telling him to gently caress off.

While I don't want to say it's impossible that he wins (because after 2016, why would you?) but I am incredibly doubtful those numbers hold up once things really start to move. Once the Dems get their primary done and coalize around their candidate, you're gonna see daily reminders to Dem voters that Hogan:

-Killed mass transit projects on a whim (Baltimore's red line) and caused another one's (Purple line) budget to massively balloon due to his fuckary with contractors.

-Made a hard push for toll lanes on 270 and 495, which are incredibly unpopular here, during his last few months in office including expanding those highways in very blue areas that would require the state to buy land that he has business interests in. Specifically in very blue areas of the state he'd need to carry or be very competitive in order to win.

-Would "feud" with Trump one minute then get on conference calls with him the next day calling black lives matter "outside agitators". When the cameras weren't on him, he was fine with Trump's bullshit, but the second anyone was looking, did his best Susan Collins impersonation. It was all an act.

-Basically channeled the ghost of Spirow Agnew in how he wanted to respond to the George Floyd and Freddie Grey protests.

-Withheld 3.5 million in state funding for abortion training programs. And basically did everything he could to slow roll whatever the legislature overrode with regards to abortion access, even after SCOTUS struck down Roe.

And just a solid reminder that as Governor he had to "work" with a Dem controlled legislature which blocked a lot of his stupid poo poo. Those guard rails won't exist if he becomes a senator.

If I'm wrong in six months time, feel free to point and laugh at me, but I don't see Hogan winning that race.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 29, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

He ran a cromulent admin thanks to the dem controlled legislature. Otherwise Hogan sucked poo poo, and he basically got credit for the Dem legislature constantly telling him to gently caress off.

Not disputing any of that. I was responding to someone asking if there was some kind of negligence on Hogan's part, which I doubt there was.

e: the MD republican party is such a poo poo show at this point that he probably would have been better off running for the Senate seat as an independent.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 29, 2024

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

psydude posted:

Not disputing any of that. I was responding to someone asking if there was some kind of negligence on Hogan's part, which I doubt there was.

e: the MD republican party is such a poo poo show at this point that he probably would have been better off running for the Senate seat as an independent.

My bad, I wasn't trying to come down on you so my apologies if it came across that way. I was just using your post as a jumping off point.

And lol, yeah. Honestly that's the only way I'd see him having a serious shot at it. Too late for that though!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

RIP Louis Gossett Jr. Truly an OG.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Dammit, RIP

He was loving amazing in The Watchmen. Just great in just about everything he was in.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dammit, RIP

He was loving amazing in The Watchmen. Just great in just about everything he was in.

Showing my age but, I loved him in Iron Eagle

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If a piece of infrastructure is no longer suited for the modern environment it's operating in, then it's absolutely appropriate to point that out. The original design may be 50 years old, but every day since then has also involved the choice to continue using it. Old, unsafe designs are updated and replaced all the time. That's not to say they should have undergone a massive program to replace or reinforce the bridge against this one specific danger, but just shrugging and saying "ah well, nothing we can do" is the wrong answer.

Just look at the contentious saga of the 737, despite continued years of adding modern upgrades, Boeing justifiably gets poo poo over its regulatory contortions to keep using the original type rating rather than just replacing it with a clean sheet design.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As the thread would be interested:

https://twitter.com/TaskandPurpose/status/1773722923578052768?t=YqUBE4M-46WHDQNubYNtJQ&s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

He also kicked Richard Gere in the nuts which counts for something in my book.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaddak posted:

Showing my age but, I loved him in Iron Eagle

Hell yes. I think of that movie every time I put some music on in order to concentrate on work better.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

lightpole posted:

Lots of good boat words

Random thought while reading this. But the #1 thing that catches ppl out when handling a boat the first time is that it steers with the rear end and not the front.

Also seems really hard for some to get their head around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Also seems really hard for some to get their head around that.

If the ship's head is around the stern, you've got some MC Escher bote stuff goin on.