Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Shaddak posted:

Showing my age but, I loved him in Iron Eagle

An Officer and a Gentleman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

CainFortea posted:

If the ship's head is around the stern, you've got some MC Escher bote stuff goin on.

https://youtu.be/FHh86ySgKrA?si=3t3Wbs2JxOfbp5MV

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Who can forget his riveting performance in Straight Up?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

All of you have failed to mention his greatest role in 1989's The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.

His best scene from it isn't on YouTube, but y'all should watch it anyway. If he wore the GODDAMN shirt, it could be the best Punisher movie.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

He also kicked Richard Gere in the nuts which counts for something in my book.

Big fan of gerbils I assume

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I never knew much about George McGovern and I was reading his wikipedia page last night. What an impressive human being, and way ahead of his time. Especially for a farm boy and WWII vet from South Dakota.

I think the criticism that he was out of touch with the American people was accurate, but that says a lot more about Americans than it does about George McGovern.

Came across a few quotes of his I really liked, like from his speech in the Senate:

quote:

Every Senator in this chamber is partly responsible for sending 50,000 young Americans to an early grave. This chamber reeks of blood. Every Senator here is partly responsible for that human wreckage at Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval and all across our land – young men without legs, or arms, or genitals, or faces or hopes. There are not very many of these blasted and broken boys who think this war is a glorious adventure. Do not talk to them about bugging out, or national honor or courage. It does not take any courage at all for a congressman, or a senator, or a president to wrap himself in the flag and say we are staying in Vietnam, because it is not our blood that is being shed. But we are responsible for those young men and their lives and their hopes. And if we do not end this damnable war those young men will some day curse us for our pitiful willingness to let the Executive carry the burden that the Constitution places on us.

And something short on not giving up on making the world a better place:

quote:

Responding to the Serenity Prayer's desire to "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change", McGovern said simply that he rejected that notion: "I keep trying to change them."

It's sad to think about how much better off the US and the world would be if people like George McGovern were running things.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mustang posted:

It's sad to think about how much better off the US and the world would be if people like George McGovern were running things.

You're gonna get cited for your lack of concern for shareholder value

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Reading some more about George McGovern and came across this quote by Hunter S. Thompson.

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

“Well… maybe so. This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it—that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable. The tragedy of all this is that George McGovern, for all his mistakes and all his imprecise talk about “new politics” and “honesty in government,” is one of the few men who’ve run for President of the United States in this century who really understands what a fantastic monument to all the best instincts of the human race this country might have been, if we could have kept it out of the hands of greedy little hustlers like Richard Nixon. McGovern made some stupid mistakes, but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose, as a matter of policy and a perfect expression of everything he stands for. Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President?

Really wonder what he would have had to say during the Trump era. Change some names and numbers and he may as well be talking about the America of 2024.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Well then, it's a good thing that this country has a robust support system for homeless people and treats them compassionately in the way that Jesus taught us.

*holding earpiece*

Hold on, just a moment...

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

One can only hope!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh no!

Anyway....

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Torrannor posted:

I recently learned that there's a Jones Act equivalent for dredging ships. So no foreign dredging ships allowed. And the absence of competition allegedly led to the US dredging fleet being woefully outdated. I came across this quote in an article that was especially noticeable:

Yeah that’s the Jones Act. All the arguments you named have been made against the Jones Act too, mostly by people who’d like to deregulate US shipping, and most of the issues also apply to the US transport fleet.

That being said, the clean up is going to involve a lot of cranes and divers, not so much dredges. Dredging is pretty Sisyphean, so there’s usually enough dredges to go around because, well, you always need them.

Edit: I should say there’s usually enough to maintain project depth, because there are people who’ll argue all day for deeper, wider channels.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 30, 2024

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Do any of these rich weirdos actually own a private residence that would be protected in a bankruptcy, or is it shell companies all the way down for whatever tax fraud they're committing? Trump's in a sort of similar situation, his 10k or 30k sq ft (depending on who you're asking) condo is owned by Trump Org if I recall correctly, and Mar a Lago legally can't be a private home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Mar a Lago legally can't be a private home.

Oh yeah wasn’t that a condition that he made with the city?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Mayor < President

Git gud

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Torrannor posted:

I recently learned that there's a Jones Act equivalent for dredging ships. So no foreign dredging ships allowed. And the absence of competition allegedly led to the US dredging fleet being woefully outdated.

On a similar note WA state is having serious problems with the ferry fleet having a lot of boats out of commission & a bad law like that about sourcing where the ferries have to be made domestically (and only recently changed it so doesn’t have to be in state) but there’s like only one company that still does that and it is not a speedy or cost effective option. Meanwhile north of the border, British Columbia has no problem maintaining their fleet as they can source from Germany.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On a similar note WA state is having serious problems with the ferry fleet having a lot of boats out of commission & a bad law like that about sourcing where the ferries have to be made domestically (and only recently changed it so doesn’t have to be in state) but there’s like only one company that still does that and it is not a speedy or cost effective option. Meanwhile north of the border, British Columbia has no problem maintaining their fleet as they can source from Germany.

The obvious solution here is to “salvage” a gently used Canadian ferry.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The obvious solution here is to “salvage” a gently used Canadian ferry.

If you steal one of our ferries we won't restock the on-board White Spot for you when the freezers run out :colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, there's exactly one (1) shipyard in WA that can build them, Vigor, which kinda creates a situation ripe for abuse.

The ferry system was in jeopardy before the pandemic, and that sent it over the edge, tons of CHUDs quit when vaccine mandates came out, fares crashed, it's just a bad situation.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, there's exactly one (1) shipyard in WA that can build them, Vigor, which kinda creates a situation ripe for abuse.

The ferry system was in jeopardy before the pandemic, and that sent it over the edge, tons of CHUDs quit when vaccine mandates came out, fares crashed, it's just a bad situation.

Yeah I think even in ideal circumstances each boat was gonna be something like $200 million and take five or six years to build? Ooh, Mariners got first win as I was typing neat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ravi_mangla/status/1769059175445791053

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Huh. I thought New York City was the Washington D.C. of America. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quackles posted:

Huh. I thought New York City was the Washington D.C. of America. :v:

But is New York City the New York City of America?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New York is the Amsterdam of America.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Full of obnoxious Britons?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
America is the Ohio of the world.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

Does this mean Ohio is spreading? :gonk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SerthVarnee posted:

Not one of Yoko's more inspiring observations

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Does this mean Ohio is spreading? :gonk:

always has been

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But is New York City the New York City of America?

Sadly not, by virtue of being on the coast, New York City does not qualify as Real America.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ManagingAssoc/status/1774412229833535996?t=m37YhDFGsX-WnkLwl_V2yw&s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I want off Mr. Bones' Wild Ride

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So today was the day that Donnie and Truth Social had to report real, not fake financial data to the SEC.

It hasn't gone well!

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1774824929491341794?t=afP-sSLgpeoRRSlJuQyrcg&s=19

Currently down 25% from today's opening stock price, per https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/DJT. It appears that they're going to abide by the 6-month lockup provision (Donnie can't sell for six months), so enjoy the fun ride (down).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
loving Netanyahu is trying to start a war with Iran to silence domestic protests calling for his resignation. Struck their consulate in Damascus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

So today was the day that Donnie and Truth Social had to report real, not fake financial data to the SEC.

It hasn't gone well!

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1774824929491341794?t=afP-sSLgpeoRRSlJuQyrcg&s=19

Currently down 25% from today's opening stock price, per https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/DJT. It appears that they're going to abide by the 6-month lockup provision (Donnie can't sell for six months), so enjoy the fun ride (down).

They also disclosed that on March 25th (before they were public) that their accountant issued a "going concern" letter meaning there are real issues with them continuing to exist as a company.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

loving Netanyahu is trying to start a war with Iran to silence domestic protests calling for his resignation. Struck their consulate in Damascus.

Seeing a few things on Twitter saying it was a Quds Force general

https://twitter.com/JonathanLordDC/status/1774825921003827437?t=-nrbqoJg97ckwRXUZJ6frA&s=19

The reported Israeli strike in Syria successfully targeting IRGC-QF general Mohammad Reza Zahedi comes a day after Iraq-based militias claimed credit for a UAV strike on the Port of Eilat. 1/2

On its face, strike seems meant to shape future decisions by senior natsec leaders in Tehran, demonstrating that certain actions by Iran-supported groups will incur direct repercussions on those enabling them. 2/2

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

They also disclosed that on March 25th (before they were public) that their accountant issued a "going concern" letter meaning there are real issues with them continuing to exist as a company.

I feel like this is important to say here since we all know where this forum falls on this issue - this is all nonsense designed to create fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) to get you to sell your positions in DJT and no doubt we will all use this opportunity to load up on more shares! edit: I'm down another 11% since posting this, what an opportunity!

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

It hasn't gone well!

Its now down to 47 a share which is a little bump from the low today of 45 per share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope all the goons in the stock trading thread shorted it. That seems to have been as easy of a win as any stock trade could ever be.

I'm not going to go check myself, I just hope they did.