Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MrQwerty posted:

every conversation about Metallica deserves to be immediately turned into what a shithead Lars is and what drummers are better than him, thanks for giving us the leg up lil' buddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3nUZhWXiH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

real musicians do what metallican’t

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I find most of the bass-added remasters to be pretty sloppy, with the earliest just clumsily overdubbing bass over top, and many others doing a better job in terms of integration but making it too prominent in the mix.

I feel this guy does the best job of making it fit organically. Better yet, he did it five times over, starting quite light and each time adding a bit more bass, so you can even have exactly the amount you want. This is the one I like best, but you can dial it down by picking any of the other ones (or pump it up one more with v5).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFZw560LRqg

Xotl fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 3, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i want ajfa jaco style. fretless bass.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Southern Cassowary posted:

History's greatest monster, right here.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

real musicians do what metallican’t

pretty sure that is Pantera

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bonzo posted:

Really it depends on how you ask and what year it is. The fact that Jason hasn't poo poo all over Lars and James every chance he gets over this mystifies me. Every single fan would completely understand if not encourage it.

On the flip side of this Dave Mustaine is still bitching about getting kicked out 40 loving years ago.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

On the flip side of this Dave Mustaine is still bitching about getting kicked out 40 loving years ago.

Lmao Dave and Lars in Some Kind of Monster is one of the most embarrassing interpersonal interactions between two grown men that you will ever see

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Southern Cassowary posted:

Doesn't rob trujillo own jaco's bass? He could make it happen

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
bands are a pain in the rear end if you can write songs get yourself an MPC

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

the best I ever got as far as credits was a special thanks on this album for being their drum roadie and drum tech for 7 years; then dude fired the drummer for choosing his 5-year-old daughter over 5 day band practice like 4 months after it got released lmao. That was like 2 months after they played a show at Moonlight Lounge and Al Cisneros came up to my buddy and told him he was one of the best live drummers he'd ever seen, and my buddy told him, "lol I don't give a poo poo and that means nothing to me!"
Those guys used to tour as Dead On Point Five in the early aughts so, you know, bands in your 40's.
Guess who recorded their tracks 2 years before the album released and guess who mastered it, refusing all input out of a band of a vox/guitar, bass and drums lmao.

Dude sent a request to Bisley and he asked to hear the album before he did any work on it, they sent an earlier mix, then Bisley sent an email back saying "THIS poo poo KICKS rear end" about 3 weeks later. Then he sent that totally non-Slaine derivative painting like 3 months later.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 3, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

20 Blunts posted:

i love ezdrummer and superior drummer

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I came here to confirm that Newstead is a diva who complained about everything that was set up for his gallery show.

Everything was done professionally and properly to display his art. He disagreed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

down1nit posted:

I came here to confirm that Newstead is a diva who complained about everything that was set up for his gallery show.

Everything was done professionally and properly to display his art. He disagreed.

Lars Ulrich is such a diva that he sued his own fans for trying to access his music and then walked it back 20 years later when he was making fucktons of money off the same poo poo.

He's also such a diva that he and James Hetfield mixed Newsted out of Justice as a hazing ritual and accidentally created one of the great incomplete pieces of music of the genre of metal.

Also his drums sound like poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

20 Blunts posted:

bands have all the drama of high school and relationships combined.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

bands have all the drama of high school and relationships combined.

It's truly dumb as poo poo and not worth it, especially as you get older.

Echoes and Dust to Des Kensel posted:

E&D: You recently left High On Fire after twenty one years in the band and as a founding member. How did it feel leaving the band after all that time?

Des: Parting with the band was difficult considering all of my accomplishments and the time and effort I put into it. Years of hard work and sacrifice go into being in a band like High On Fire and it took years to gain the recognition the band has now. Also, I was the one to do all the extra work that goes into making sure a band stays afloat. Every band needs at least one responsible guy, somehow that ended up being me. Besides writing contributions and performing, I took care of all the merchandise, the finances, booking tours in the beginning, financing the vans, the trailers, everything. But if there is anything I can take away from all of this, it’s that I learned I have the strength and the drive to do it. I was able to see the job through and succeed under difficult circumstances. Most people would break under some of the poo poo we had to endure, even if some of it was self-inflicted, but I had belief. I had belief in the band but more importantly, belief in myself. But in the end, everything happens for a reason right? All things come to an end, and someone, somewhere must have other plans for me.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Robert Trujillo is wasted in Metallica.

Death Magnetic was their best album in 20 years and it's the only album where Rob has writing credits on every song.

Hardwired was boring as poo poo and it was all Lars and Hetfield again. 72 Seasons is an uninspired mess and it's back to the 90's formula of Lars, Hetfield and the occasional Hammit who likely only wrote the solos.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MettleRamiel posted:

Robert Trujillo is wasted in Metallica, because Metallica has been a bad band since they mixed their bassist out of their best album.

They make a shitload more money than Suicidal Tendencies, though!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I like ReLoad more, it feels like every song is listenable and the whole CD is a journey. Where as And Justice For All doesn’t even use the right instruments

Sad

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm in the everything after justice is awful camp, absolutely agree Rob Trujillo is wasted on them.

They do make a shitload more money than Suicidal and Infectious Grooves though so I can't blame him, get your bag.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

big nipples big life posted:

I'm in the everything after justice is awful camp, absolutely agree Rob Trujillo is wasted on them.

They do make a shitload more money than Suicidal and Infectious Grooves though so I can't blame him, get your bag.

the black album is a fine hard rock album with some cool metal bits and death magnetic/hardwired have a few highlights. the title track to hardwired it sounded like they wanted to write thrash again and actually had that energy for a song, it was pretty fun. the rest is poo poo though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Metallica's still decent when they're writing songs that are under six minutes. They just really don't want to do that for some reason.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I've always found the thing where bands who made incredible music in the past just seem to lose that really fascinating. They have years to just sit around and come up with great riffs and song ideas, and they seem to stockpile them, based on interviews I've read. But then the results come out and again and again they're always just listenable-at-best slogs.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Every band I've ever been in or known has always wanted to experiment and not make the same songs over and over, sometimes it works out and you get bands like Mastodon and other times it doesn't work.

Not everyone can be ACDC and be satisfied making the same album 50 times.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I get that, and I always feel sorry for bands that don't want to stick with that one time they were on top of the world because it would ultimately be boring, but also then languish because no one wants to hear anything else. Still, Metallica does seem to want to return to their older style and they've tried to get there in various forms since 2008, but they can't make it work any more.

Hardly a unique story, but it's interesting all the same.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Xotl posted:

I've always found the thing where bands who made incredible music in the past just seem to lose that really fascinating. They have years to just sit around and come up with great riffs and song ideas, and they seem to stockpile them, based on interviews I've read. But then the results come out and again and again they're always just listenable-at-best slogs.
There's a big difference writing songs (or making any art, really) when you're a starving 20 year old with a chip on their shoulder and poo poo to prove, vs a middle aged parent (or grandparent) who's been in the game multiple decades and is long out of touch with ordinary people. Some artists can manage that, some can't.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

thunderspanks posted:

There's a big difference writing songs (or making any art, really) when you're a starving 20 year old with a chip on their shoulder and poo poo to prove, vs a middle aged parent (or grandparent) who's been in the game multiple decades and is long out of touch with ordinary people. Some artists can manage that, some can't.

Not to mention the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DDO4FNGaxE

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
St anger is unironically their most enjoyable album and the snare is what makes it good.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am an utterly shameless Metallica fanboy.

Which I will now gleefully demonstrate with zero shame, and pure fanboy pride.

AJFA is their best album and it's loving perfect in every way.

Hetfield, Hammett and Ulrich had been on the relentless album\touring since they were about 19 years old. By the time Cliff died, they had the emotional maturity of a turnip. Partly because record labels enjoy keeping bands at the same emotional maturity so that they keep churning out the same content.

AJFA is basically James and Lars blasting out their grief over Cliff at a million decibels, and not giving many fucks about whether or not you like it. Not that they realise it at the time, they were doing what sounded\felt right.

ERGO:
Did Metallica sound right without Cliff on bass? gently caress no. Who's this fuckin' wannabe? The album sounds poo poo with that bass, it's not Cliff so turn it down.
Was the album one gigantic riff salad of unbeatably loving awesome Thrash Metal riffs? gently caress yeah it was. James couldn't process emotion through...y'know. Therapy. So he did it with alcohol and loving amazing riffs.
Was Lars

But the end result is a grating, unpleasant, difficult, confronting album to listen to. That's EVERYTHING that a Metal album SHOULD be.

"Excuse me, I want my Metal to sound pleasant and pretty and nice. I would like some bass guitar so that the scary guitar sounds less scary"

Get hosed. You're gonna get an album of pissed off Hetfield, screaming directly into your earholes for the entire duration. Then he'll let Kirk play the best fuckin' solos of his career. Meanwhile Lars will

Albums are meant to be a bit of a time capsulte. It's meant to capture everything that the musicians were feeling at that time. Not only are the songs heavy and ugly, the album sounds heavy and ugly and it is everything about where the band was at that time.

So yeah. AJFA is by far my favourite Metallica album and I argue probably still the greatest metal album of all time.

If AJFA is too scary for you because it doesn't have bass, might I suggest you listen to Load instead? (Note: Load is actually one of their best loving albums fight me you gently caress)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

Hetfield, Hammett and Ulrich had been on the relentless album\touring since they were about 19 years old. By the time Cliff died, they had the emotional maturity of a turnip. Partly because record labels enjoy keeping bands at the same emotional maturity so that they keep churning out the same content.

AJFA is basically James and Lars blasting out their grief over Cliff at a million decibels, and not giving many fucks about whether or not you like it. Not that they realise it at the time, they were doing what sounded\felt right.

ERGO:
Did Metallica sound right without Cliff on bass? gently caress no. Who's this fuckin' wannabe? The album sounds poo poo with that bass, it's not Cliff so turn it down.
Was the album one gigantic riff salad of unbeatably loving awesome Thrash Metal riffs? gently caress yeah it was. James couldn't process emotion through...y'know. Therapy. So he did it with alcohol and loving amazing riffs.
Was Lars

But the end result is a grating, unpleasant, difficult, confronting album to listen to. That's EVERYTHING that a Metal album SHOULD be.

"Excuse me, I want my Metal to sound pleasant and pretty and nice. I would like some bass guitar so that the scary guitar sounds less scary"

Get hosed. You're gonna get an album of pissed off Hetfield, screaming directly into your earholes for the entire duration. Then he'll let Kirk play the best fuckin' solos of his career. Meanwhile Lars will

Albums are meant to be a bit of a time capsulte. It's meant to capture everything that the musicians were feeling at that time. Not only are the songs heavy and ugly, the album sounds heavy and ugly and it is everything about where the band was at that time.

So yeah. AJFA is by far my favourite Metallica album and I argue probably still the greatest metal album of all time.

If AJFA is too scary for you because it doesn't have bass, might I suggest you listen to Load instead? (Note: Load is actually one of their best loving albums fight me you gently caress)

I hate it when you have to watch the whole cinematic universe to understand the movie

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

H13 posted:

ERGO:
Was Lars

Lars is a bad person and a bad drummer

Liking that there's no bass on AJFA isn't a personality trait

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which I desirehhh

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AAAAAEEEOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHH

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Shaking my head solemnly while Listening to and Justice for all "wow this guy cannot process emotion"

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Worse album: St. Anger, or LuLu?

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

H13 posted:

ERGO:
Was Lars

All of this is true, but AJFA would still sound better if they had turned up the bass. Doesn't the video from the original OP sound awesome?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Gatto Grigio posted:

Worse album: St. Anger, or LuLu?

St anger. Lulu has "I am the table" which is funny

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Remaster all the albums with more snare imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I thought they used some riffs from Cliff on the album. To Live is to Die is by him, right?

The Black album is ok but my God was it over-hyped and overplayed.

Bob Rock? lol They make fun of Winger but bring in the guy that produced Dr Feelgood?