Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Was it Lars's idea to bring in Bob Rock? it had to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bob Rock is such a worthless producer lol

I would work with Steve Albini before I ever worked with Bob Rock; because Albini has at least produced albums I like to listen to. Actually, I would love to work with that dickhead, Blessed Black Wings is intense, Times of Grace is intense.
Bob Rock produced St. Anger lmao

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
AJFA is a good album, but by all of those points Ride the Lightning is a superior album (also including Cliff)

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 4, 2024

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
St Anger is a very important album to me. Metallica was maybe the first band I truly loved when I was young, and St Anger was the moment I realized that a band I loved could make something truly dogshit and without merit.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

AFJA is a good album, but by all of those points Ride the Lightning is a superior album (also including Cliff)

I like justice but I think puppets and ride the lightning are both far better albums.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Puppets is bangers all the way through, not a single bad track. Lightning is very good but has Escape.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Puppets is bangers all the way through, not a single bad track. Lightning is very good but has Escape.

I will take Escape over Leper Messiah tbqh

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

There’s an entire cottage industry of YouTube musicians devoted to either adding bass to AJFA or removing snares from St. Anger

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

AJFA is a good album, but by all of those points Ride the Lightning is a superior album (also including Cliff)

Justice is a better album.
Ride the Lightning is a better finished album because Hetfield and Ulrich didn't gently caress with it and make it bad.

fishing with the fam posted:

St Anger is a very important album to me. Metallica was maybe the first band I truly loved when I was young, and St Anger was the moment I realized that a band I loved could make something truly dogshit and without merit.

The one that drove that home for me was 10,000 Days; I'd already written Metallica and the thrash bands off at that point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im madly in anger with you

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Im madly in anger with you

IM MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU

OOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*recycles lyrics from Damage Inc.*

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'll never forget the collective , "wh...wha....what?" reaction people had when Until it Sleeps came out.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

my lifestyle determines my death-style

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I will give Metallica credit for commissioning artwork from John Baizley to do the Four Horsemen shirt, cuz he's real good and the cover of Yellow & Green is a masterpiece

March to the Sea is a really good song :/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

St. Anger had an interesting sound and I'd love to hear a band with better songwriting skills do something similar.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

St. Anger had an interesting sound and I'd love to hear a band with better songwriting skills do something similar.

they could start by hiring an actual drummer

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

take some of their millions and hire some down and out 20s somethings who are mad at the world to write songs for them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

take some of their millions and hire some down and out 20s somethings who are mad at the world to write songs for them.

their audience are 40 at best

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i love the black album with all my heart

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

i love the black album with all my heart

is that how you found out you like pop country music

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

florida georgia line plays enter sandman at band practice.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have tickets to the Boston area show in August. I’m going to watch Metallica and drink some overpriced beers and have a good time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I have tickets to the Boston area show in August. I’m going to watch Metallica and drink some overpriced beers and have a good time.

lol the best part of the Gigantour when I got to see Opeth and Megadeth was the dude who was SO loving STOKED 100,000% FOR OTEP DOUBLE FISTING BEERS and then Opeth started playing stuff from Ghost Reveries and he loving double slammed those beers into the grass and said "THAT'S NOT FUCKIN OTEP" and marched the gently caress out

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

lol the best part of the Gigantour when I got to see Opeth and Megadeth was the dude who was SO loving STOKED 100,000% FOR OTEP DOUBLE FISTING BEERS and then Opeth started playing stuff from Ghost Reveries and he loving double slammed those beers into the grass and said "THAT'S NOT FUCKIN OTEP" and marched the gently caress out

Lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

He had been there in his Otep shirt all loving day, like this was 7PM, dude was furious.

I would be furious, too, if I paid a shitload of money to go see the wrong show and did absolutely no diligence and spent all day getting drunk getting ready to see my favorite band who was decidedly not there.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

rofl that rules

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

It was when they started playing the intro to Ghost of Perdition too lmao

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmfao that's amazing.

I've never seen Opeth live but really want too but also the last like 3 albums have been a snooze fest for me.

Although Opeth has my favourite outro of any song ever. The song Burden ends with a classical guitar bit where the guitar slowly gets detuned while playing and it sounds like it's dying slowly, it's brilliant.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Could make that whole situation into a reading is fundamental commercial for metalheads. Don't let this happen to you!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

I've never seen Opeth live but really want too but also the last like 3 albums have been a snooze fest for me.

I don't like modern Opeth, everything past Watershed is a no-go for me. I still own a thuluth logo shirt, though.
Morningrise is one of my favorite albums ever and I'm partially convinced he won't play songs from it because dude on bass played a fretless, and it's not just that "the songs are just collections of riffs that aren't fully-formed," it's also because nobody ever gonna jam that bass that hard again.
Because the bass guitar track is loving fundamental to that entire album.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

This poo poo. I hope I got the timestamp poo poo right on that. Starting at 6:20 if I hosed up

https://youtu.be/orwgEEaJln0?si=DDpuL-4QOBCf9PZS?t=6m20s

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

The Real Amethyst posted:

St anger is unironically their most enjoyable album and the snare is what makes it good.

are you the drummer in Sanguisuggabog or w/e

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

This poo poo. I hope I got the timestamp poo poo right on that. Starting at 6:20 if I hosed up

https://youtu.be/orwgEEaJln0?si=DDpuL-4QOBCf9PZS?t=6m20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D33c6rRVC0&t=120s

more nuance in 2 hits of a drumstick than Lars' entire career

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Someone who knows they're about to get fired

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Has anyone watched Geddy Lee's new show?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29623935/

He has Trujillo on as a guest in one episode and he seems like such a great person.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MrQwerty posted:

also Lars is a lovely drummer

It's actually kind of amazing that he hasn't improved as a drummer at all in >30 years of playing in the biggest metal band in the world.

You don't even need to hear him play to know he sucks though, just look at the way his toms are angled aggressively.

It's like some kind of sick joke that he's allowed to be in the same band as James Hetfield.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

It's actually kind of amazing that he hasn't improved as a drummer at all in >30 years of playing in the biggest metal band in the world.

he doesn't practice. he doesn't care. he just prints money and talks poo poo.

just the loving worst of the worst.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Oh man I totally forgot but one of my nephew's is named after this album lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

Oh man I totally forgot but one of my nephew's is named after this album lmao

lmao what song