Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Their last two albums are each a half hour longer than Ride the Lightning. Tighten your poo poo up assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hard wired to be boring.

72 boring seasons

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

fishing with the fam posted:

Their last two albums are each a half hour longer than Ride the Lightning. Tighten your poo poo up assholes.

Ride the Lightning is better than AJFA even though Justice is better because RTL has bass

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Imagine if justice had been recorded like a metal album and not like a bunch of session musicians doing backing music for a pop singer. The songs are great but it's so sterile you could use it to clean surgical instruments. Going to be mad about this until I am 6 feet under.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Saalkin posted:

Hard wired to be boring.

72 boring seasons

I'm definitely a die hard, but lately it's been a big ol pile of disappointment. I can't think of a single song from hardwired that's made it to my playlists with regularity. Death Magnetic, sure, and a ton of the early stuff.

with some of load/re-load it's weird and bad but at least interesting

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've always thought that if something happens to Lars, Chad Smith could take over.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I'm definitely a die hard, but lately it's been a big ol pile of disappointment. I can't think of a single song from hardwired that's made it to my playlists with regularity. Death Magnetic, sure, and a ton of the early stuff.

with some of load/re-load it's weird and bad but at least interesting

Spit Out The Bone is amazing.

...but 72 Seasons felt like a total sellout album to me. The guitar tone was pretty weak and "friendly" and there were so many cliches in the lyrics and riffs...

It felt like I was listening to an album that a committee thinks a Metallica album sounds like, rather than listening to an actual Metallica album.

The last song was pretty great though. That one felt like an actual song.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

H13 posted:

It felt like I was listening to an album that a committee thinks a Metallica album sounds like, rather than listening to an actual Metallica album.

That's been every Metallica album since Metallica (the black album)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

That's been every Metallica album since Metallica (the black album)

I'd argue that the band wanted to make Load and Reload. Sure it wasn't thrash metal, but there was a fair bit of heart and soul put into those albums. They grew up listening to Thin Lizzy and stuff, so after ~20 odd years of playing thrash metal, I can understand wanting to play something different for a change.

Metallica were one of the hardest touring bands for a long time. They've played those thrashy songs a billion times before. So I get why they would want to do something a bit different.

St. Anger wasn't a sellout. 'COS IT DIDN'T SELL ANYTHING HIYOOOOO

Death Magnetic was a "See we can still be okay" after St. Anger

Hardwired could be condensed to 1 very good album.

72...ugh...

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
St Anger is easily explained if you've ever experienced the pink cloud of early substance abuse recovery

https://englishmountain.com/blog/pink-cloud-syndrome/

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think they wanted to go in a new direction which is cool and understandable, it's just I personally hate the direction they went in.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
To mature as a musician is just the same as maturing in real life. You learn to control and process emotions and start to be honest with and love yourself and others.

These are things that Lars and James cannot do.

Jason wanted to try out a new band and James outright refused, saying it would take away from Metallica. Meanwhile James is going all kinds of side projects, just not promoting them. I think he was jealous that Jason could not only branch out, but was willing to stamp him name on them and go on his own. James is too chickenshit for either and I'm glad Jason saw it for what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the best part of Some Kind of Monster is when they had to fire their psychologist because he started trying to be a band member and even pitched them some lyrics at one point

that and Lars's dad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RGSStvsag&t=34s

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 7, 2024