Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If you listen to Metallica play Justice songs with Rob Trujillo, it sounds like this. Newsted was a loving hack, they shoulda signed Claypool :colbert:

EDIT

here check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dAQgniNaBE

DOUBLE EDIT
sharing this because it rocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL42fwM5muE

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I saw these guys live before they were really big (I believe it was pre-White Whale meme) and holy poo poo Brann owned

Black Sunshine posted:

Jason might not have been a genius like Cliff or as skilled as Rob but he was still a good player. What makes him special is that his stage presence was insane. His backing vocals and energy are a thousand times better than the other guys. These days it's actually hard for me to listen to Creeping Death, Whiplash or Seek and Destroy unless it's a live version with Jason taking over verses and just absolutely killing it.

Claypool would've been wasted in Metallica because James and Lars run everything with an iron fist ever since Cliff died.

Lars sucks and it's fun to see those shows with Joey Jordison and Dave Lombardo behind the kit and be like "what if they had a better drummer?" but Lars' creative force in the studio is something that those other guys couldn't replicate so basically Lars is just the best drummer specifically for Metallica.

Obviously they've made some poo poo music along the way but as the only metal band on the planet who can literally sell out stadium shows based on their name alone, they clearly did something right. They also still put on a killer show for a bunch of 60 year olds playing metal so I highly recommend that if you haven't seen them and have the opportunity, just give it a shot.

VVVV yeah that was definitely a ballsy decision, gotta give them credit for allowing that to be released when it doesn't really put them in the best light. At the same time, it shows that they're real people that are hosed up in their own special ways just like the rest of us.

This is a good post, and I agree that Newsted vocals make Creeping Death and Seek and Destroy work, although I would've never put that together myself beyond a general dissatisfaction with later versions I heard from Youtube.

Honestly I think Claypool would've worked in Metallica, although I dunno if he would've lasted. Sizzle Fry and Sailing The Seas of Cheese are absolutely not Metallica albums, but the speed and technical chops are there.

As (face-melting) evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-VFMnwBGSA

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
AJFA is a good album, but by all of those points Ride the Lightning is a superior album (also including Cliff)

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 4, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Puppets is bangers all the way through, not a single bad track. Lightning is very good but has Escape.

I will take Escape over Leper Messiah tbqh

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I worked with a guy who named his son Orion, and there is an extremely good chance its after the Metallica song

I also have a cousin named Kashmir, after the Led Zeppelin song :doh:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Orion is a really good song and you have a logical out

Yes and also yes

"Sweetie, can you pick up Trapped Under Ice from band practice tomorrow after school? I can't make it, I'm meeting with Harvester of Sorrow's teacher"

EDIT

Harvester by itself would sorta work, its a lot more interesting than Jaeden or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Naming my son Dopesmoker, as a prophetic warning