Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

yeah its pretty amazing that the best Metallica album, in its released form, sounds like absolute loving poo poo

also Lars is a lovely drummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Newsted is a perfectly fine bassist, Metallica's actual problem is that their drummer hasn't practiced playing drums in 20 years and his tone sucks poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lars' drum tone and tracks on St. Anger are still probably one of the unintentionally funniest things to ever happen in metal

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

A few years ago my brother and I were hanging out with one of our buddies and making fun of St. Anger, and said buddy hadn't heard it since it came out when we were in high school. We put on the title track on youtube, and he started cracking up and told us to stop loving with him with some youtube edit.

Then we played another song, and another, and the smile disappeared from his face.

Gotta admit, tho, I am really partial to that special OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Hetfield gives near the end of St. Anger

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 2, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MoonshineWilly posted:

Also lol that Lars and James claim that didn’t intend to hide the bass on In Justice For All, they were just deaf as gently caress from touring and kept turning up the sound on all the parts except the bass.

lol I've always held that in the regard it should be: a lie by two prolific liars who sued their fans for enthusiastically listening to their music

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I like Danny Carey's drumming a lot and I really like Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus, but Tool just passed me by when I discovered guys like Brant Bjork, Chris Hakius, Brann Dailor, Des Kensel, Jason Roeder, Emil Amos, Coady Willis and their bands

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I missed them care show some links?

Brant Bjork
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxOTKRoPhIo

Chris Hakius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SDOwgCKb1M

Brann Dailor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxelXPg961M

Des Kensel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w

Jason Roeder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRr-R6kCYI

Emil Amos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKqoNrZ00Bg

Coady Willis and Dale Crover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7Q-KjD600

literally every one of these guys is better in their sleep than Lars ever was at his peak

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 2, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

1, 3 and 7 were pretty good.
:shrug:

Roeder was/is also the drummer for Neurosis for almost 40 years, Dopesmoker isn't the most involved song I coulda picked for him lol

here's a good tambur and drum song for Des
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFUc_L5PoDw
another good one for Des from some tavern in Cleveland where some dude paid $7 for cover 24 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeOTOGUimM

Here's another one for Roeder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwaJvDCPnGw

another one for Brant Bjork too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcJ-2ywFun4

Bjork and Hakius are the only guys from that list I haven't seen perform live multiple times, which is why I hold most of them in such high regard.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 2, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I saw these guys live before they were really big (I believe it was pre-White Whale meme) and holy poo poo Brann owned

they're coming this summer and playing Leviathan for its 20th anniversary, I could do without seeing Lamb of God again but oh well I like Mastodon a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHbCKcgaig

Bonzo posted:

So many drummers I knew were putting loving blocks of wood on their bass drum heads trying to mimic Lars' sound. It's not wood, it's poor sound engineering.

I admit it works for the record, but it's a terrible sound.

pretty much ever since I got really into post-80s metal and started playing metal drums, I have made it an ethos that "putting your name on anything with tone like Lars' is a shameful act"

when I tune up and set up a kit the way I want it, I generally try to go for a Des Kensel/Mark Greening on Dopethrone kinda big, empty, loud kinda sound vs. "clicks and farting on a snare drum"

I work more on the tech/production side when I do music work anymore these days, though, playing is more of a fun hobby (especially as my back edges closer and closer to oblivion)

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 2, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the way Hetfield and Ulrich have hosed over everyone in their sphere, as well as going after their fans legally, and then tried to make good and go oopsie well have all this sloppy rear end poo poo as a do-over has never sat right with me

every conversation about Metallica deserves to be immediately turned into what a shithead Lars is and what drummers are better than him, thanks for giving us the leg up lil' buddy

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

On the flip side of this Dave Mustaine is still bitching about getting kicked out 40 loving years ago.

Lmao Dave and Lars in Some Kind of Monster is one of the most embarrassing interpersonal interactions between two grown men that you will ever see

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

bands are a pain in the rear end if you can write songs get yourself an MPC

the best I ever got as far as credits was a special thanks on this album for being their drum roadie and drum tech for 7 years; then dude fired the drummer for choosing his 5-year-old daughter over 5 day band practice like 4 months after it got released lmao. That was like 2 months after they played a show at Moonlight Lounge and Al Cisneros came up to my buddy and told him he was one of the best live drummers he'd ever seen, and my buddy told him, "lol I don't give a poo poo and that means nothing to me!"
Those guys used to tour as Dead On Point Five in the early aughts so, you know, bands in your 40's.
Guess who recorded their tracks 2 years before the album released and guess who mastered it, refusing all input out of a band of a vox/guitar, bass and drums lmao.

Dude sent a request to Bisley and he asked to hear the album before he did any work on it, they sent an earlier mix, then Bisley sent an email back saying "THIS poo poo KICKS rear end" about 3 weeks later. Then he sent that totally non-Slaine derivative painting like 3 months later.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 3, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

down1nit posted:

I came here to confirm that Newstead is a diva who complained about everything that was set up for his gallery show.

Everything was done professionally and properly to display his art. He disagreed.

Lars Ulrich is such a diva that he sued his own fans for trying to access his music and then walked it back 20 years later when he was making fucktons of money off the same poo poo.

He's also such a diva that he and James Hetfield mixed Newsted out of Justice as a hazing ritual and accidentally created one of the great incomplete pieces of music of the genre of metal.

Also his drums sound like poo poo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

bands have all the drama of high school and relationships combined.

It's truly dumb as poo poo and not worth it, especially as you get older.

Echoes and Dust to Des Kensel posted:

E&D: You recently left High On Fire after twenty one years in the band and as a founding member. How did it feel leaving the band after all that time?

Des: Parting with the band was difficult considering all of my accomplishments and the time and effort I put into it. Years of hard work and sacrifice go into being in a band like High On Fire and it took years to gain the recognition the band has now. Also, I was the one to do all the extra work that goes into making sure a band stays afloat. Every band needs at least one responsible guy, somehow that ended up being me. Besides writing contributions and performing, I took care of all the merchandise, the finances, booking tours in the beginning, financing the vans, the trailers, everything. But if there is anything I can take away from all of this, it’s that I learned I have the strength and the drive to do it. I was able to see the job through and succeed under difficult circumstances. Most people would break under some of the poo poo we had to endure, even if some of it was self-inflicted, but I had belief. I had belief in the band but more importantly, belief in myself. But in the end, everything happens for a reason right? All things come to an end, and someone, somewhere must have other plans for me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MettleRamiel posted:

Robert Trujillo is wasted in Metallica, because Metallica has been a bad band since they mixed their bassist out of their best album.

They make a shitload more money than Suicidal Tendencies, though!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DDO4FNGaxE

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

H13 posted:

I am an utterly shameless Metallica fanboy.

Which I will now gleefully demonstrate with zero shame, and pure fanboy pride.

AJFA is their best album and it's loving perfect in every way.

Hetfield, Hammett and Ulrich had been on the relentless album\touring since they were about 19 years old. By the time Cliff died, they had the emotional maturity of a turnip. Partly because record labels enjoy keeping bands at the same emotional maturity so that they keep churning out the same content.

AJFA is basically James and Lars blasting out their grief over Cliff at a million decibels, and not giving many fucks about whether or not you like it. Not that they realise it at the time, they were doing what sounded\felt right.

ERGO:
Did Metallica sound right without Cliff on bass? gently caress no. Who's this fuckin' wannabe? The album sounds poo poo with that bass, it's not Cliff so turn it down.
Was the album one gigantic riff salad of unbeatably loving awesome Thrash Metal riffs? gently caress yeah it was. James couldn't process emotion through...y'know. Therapy. So he did it with alcohol and loving amazing riffs.
Was Lars

But the end result is a grating, unpleasant, difficult, confronting album to listen to. That's EVERYTHING that a Metal album SHOULD be.

"Excuse me, I want my Metal to sound pleasant and pretty and nice. I would like some bass guitar so that the scary guitar sounds less scary"

Get hosed. You're gonna get an album of pissed off Hetfield, screaming directly into your earholes for the entire duration. Then he'll let Kirk play the best fuckin' solos of his career. Meanwhile Lars will

Albums are meant to be a bit of a time capsulte. It's meant to capture everything that the musicians were feeling at that time. Not only are the songs heavy and ugly, the album sounds heavy and ugly and it is everything about where the band was at that time.

So yeah. AJFA is by far my favourite Metallica album and I argue probably still the greatest metal album of all time.

If AJFA is too scary for you because it doesn't have bass, might I suggest you listen to Load instead? (Note: Load is actually one of their best loving albums fight me you gently caress)

Lars is a bad person and a bad drummer

Liking that there's no bass on AJFA isn't a personality trait

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AAAAAEEEOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHH

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bob Rock is such a worthless producer lol

I would work with Steve Albini before I ever worked with Bob Rock; because Albini has at least produced albums I like to listen to. Actually, I would love to work with that dickhead, Blessed Black Wings is intense, Times of Grace is intense.
Bob Rock produced St. Anger lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

AJFA is a good album, but by all of those points Ride the Lightning is a superior album (also including Cliff)

Justice is a better album.
Ride the Lightning is a better finished album because Hetfield and Ulrich didn't gently caress with it and make it bad.

fishing with the fam posted:

St Anger is a very important album to me. Metallica was maybe the first band I truly loved when I was young, and St Anger was the moment I realized that a band I loved could make something truly dogshit and without merit.

The one that drove that home for me was 10,000 Days; I'd already written Metallica and the thrash bands off at that point.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Im madly in anger with you

IM MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU

OOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*recycles lyrics from Damage Inc.*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I will give Metallica credit for commissioning artwork from John Baizley to do the Four Horsemen shirt, cuz he's real good and the cover of Yellow & Green is a masterpiece

March to the Sea is a really good song :/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

St. Anger had an interesting sound and I'd love to hear a band with better songwriting skills do something similar.

they could start by hiring an actual drummer

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

take some of their millions and hire some down and out 20s somethings who are mad at the world to write songs for them.

their audience are 40 at best

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

i love the black album with all my heart

is that how you found out you like pop country music

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I have tickets to the Boston area show in August. I’m going to watch Metallica and drink some overpriced beers and have a good time.

lol the best part of the Gigantour when I got to see Opeth and Megadeth was the dude who was SO loving STOKED 100,000% FOR OTEP DOUBLE FISTING BEERS and then Opeth started playing stuff from Ghost Reveries and he loving double slammed those beers into the grass and said "THAT'S NOT FUCKIN OTEP" and marched the gently caress out

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

He had been there in his Otep shirt all loving day, like this was 7PM, dude was furious.

I would be furious, too, if I paid a shitload of money to go see the wrong show and did absolutely no diligence and spent all day getting drunk getting ready to see my favorite band who was decidedly not there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

It was when they started playing the intro to Ghost of Perdition too lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

I've never seen Opeth live but really want too but also the last like 3 albums have been a snooze fest for me.

I don't like modern Opeth, everything past Watershed is a no-go for me. I still own a thuluth logo shirt, though.
Morningrise is one of my favorite albums ever and I'm partially convinced he won't play songs from it because dude on bass played a fretless, and it's not just that "the songs are just collections of riffs that aren't fully-formed," it's also because nobody ever gonna jam that bass that hard again.
Because the bass guitar track is loving fundamental to that entire album.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

This poo poo. I hope I got the timestamp poo poo right on that. Starting at 6:20 if I hosed up

https://youtu.be/orwgEEaJln0?si=DDpuL-4QOBCf9PZS?t=6m20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D33c6rRVC0&t=120s

more nuance in 2 hits of a drumstick than Lars' entire career

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Someone who knows they're about to get fired

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

It's actually kind of amazing that he hasn't improved as a drummer at all in >30 years of playing in the biggest metal band in the world.

he doesn't practice. he doesn't care. he just prints money and talks poo poo.

just the loving worst of the worst.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

Oh man I totally forgot but one of my nephew's is named after this album lmao

lmao what song

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

going to name my child hung drawn and quartered

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lmao even mariokart makes lars sound like a halfassed lovely drummer

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Eye of the Beholder One Tremblay you come over here this instant

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Orion is a really good song and you have a logical out

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Honey, can you pick up Fade from school today? God, his conception was the best moment of my life.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

naming my son On The Mountain at Dawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Naming my second son Beholder