Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

my theory is that lars won't touch a ride cymbal because he knows his timing sucks and it would just be too painfully obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

also it is wild to think that Rob has been the bass player now for longer than all their previous ones combined.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Vampire Panties posted:

but the speed and technical chops are there.
:lol: I mean the legend goes that he was turned down literally because he was too good, I don't think anyone questions what chops he'd have brought to the table

realistically I think everyone probably knew it would just be the definition of not a good fit stylistically

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Xotl posted:

I've always found the thing where bands who made incredible music in the past just seem to lose that really fascinating. They have years to just sit around and come up with great riffs and song ideas, and they seem to stockpile them, based on interviews I've read. But then the results come out and again and again they're always just listenable-at-best slogs.
There's a big difference writing songs (or making any art, really) when you're a starving 20 year old with a chip on their shoulder and poo poo to prove, vs a middle aged parent (or grandparent) who's been in the game multiple decades and is long out of touch with ordinary people. Some artists can manage that, some can't.