Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Vampire Panties posted:

If you listen to Metallica play Justice songs with Rob Trujillo, it sounds like this. Newsted was a loving hack, they shoulda signed Claypool :colbert:

Jason might not have been a genius like Cliff or as skilled as Rob but he was still a good player. What makes him special is that his stage presence was insane. His backing vocals and energy are a thousand times better than the other guys. These days it's actually hard for me to listen to Creeping Death, Whiplash or Seek and Destroy unless it's a live version with Jason taking over verses and just absolutely killing it.

Claypool would've been wasted in Metallica because James and Lars run everything with an iron fist ever since Cliff died.

Lars sucks and it's fun to see those shows with Joey Jordison and Dave Lombardo behind the kit and be like "what if they had a better drummer?" but Lars' creative force in the studio is something that those other guys couldn't replicate so basically Lars is just the best drummer specifically for Metallica.

Obviously they've made some poo poo music along the way but as the only metal band on the planet who can literally sell out stadium shows based on their name alone, they clearly did something right. They also still put on a killer show for a bunch of 60 year olds playing metal so I highly recommend that if you haven't seen them and have the opportunity, just give it a shot.

VVVV yeah that was definitely a ballsy decision, gotta give them credit for allowing that to be released when it doesn't really put them in the best light. At the same time, it shows that they're real people that are hosed up in their own special ways just like the rest of us.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

thunderspanks posted:

:lol: I mean the legend goes that he was turned down literally because he was too good, I don't think anyone questions what chops he'd have brought to the table

realistically I think everyone probably knew it would just be the definition of not a good fit stylistically

Yeah that's exactly it. He's clearly one of the most skilled bassists of all time but his style just wouldn't fit for Metallica. His creative energy would also be stifled and would've quit anyway. The ONLY reason Jason left was because he wanted to do a little side project (Echo Brain) because his creative voice was barely ever acknowledged due to James and Lars dominating the songwriting process and James refused to let that happen because he was an rear end in a top hat who demanded that nobody could do anything except for Metallica no matter how small it was. Like, no way in hell did Jason's side project ever have a chance of ever competing with Metallica but it didn't matter to James.

If non-genius Jason Newstead left because of that, it would probably take Claypool like 72 hours to realize he can't handle being locked in a cage creatively so he'd just peace out.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 2, 2024

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Lars and James were so messed up on booze, emotional pain, coke, and whatever else and they kept telling the engineer to turn down the bass.

Really it depends on how you ask and what year it is. The fact that Jason hasn't poo poo all over Lars and James every chance he gets over this mystifies me. Every single fan would completely understand if not encourage it.

I saw the Justice tour that year (88 or 89) and it was amazing. The crowd went apeshit when Jason played a solo.

I think Jason is just a really awesome dude who's way above being a petty bitch. Also, he was a huge Metallica fan and ended up playing with them, getting rich as gently caress and touring the world for 15 years experiencing poo poo that most people never will so he's probably very grateful for just being along for the ride.

quote:

The band involved both of Burton's parents in the decision to choose Newsted. After the band broke the news to Newsted, Burton's mother hugged him tightly and said, "You are the one. Please, be safe."

Really cool and heartbreaking at the same time

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

H13 posted:

Correct.

Lars is a mediocre (at best) drummer, but as a songwriter and band manager, he's invaluable to the band. He is why we've even heard of Metallica.

So no, he doesn't practice or care about his drums. He prints money and talks poo poo, which get people talking about Metallica which means he gets to print more money...

Exactly. In addition, Metallica functions just fine musically with mediocre drumming because Hetfield is a loving God of riffs and down picking which makes up for the midget behind the kit. With that said, aside from his studio prowess, Lars is kinda fun live? I mean, dude stands up a lot and gestures to the crowd like a cheerleader of sorts, I don't know if it sounds weird but it has its own charm. It's definitely better than the crab walk poo poo that Rob does.

Also, in the end Lars was right about the Napster poo poo. For what it's worth, they're really good about providing free content for fans these days. Don't get me wrong, they're capitalists through and through but when I saw them on the Hardwired Tour everyone got a free audio download of their particular concert afterwards which I thought was really cool and they have a YouTube channel with a metric gently caress ton of past concerts and they're constantly releasing new performances as they play more shows.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

The Lady Justice statue that fell apart onstage throughout that tour was nicknamed Doris so I'm going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

How heavy were those barrels of water

Pretty light when it's objective truth and not just typical nerd hatred for anything that more than 53 people on earth like