Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am an utterly shameless Metallica fanboy.

Which I will now gleefully demonstrate with zero shame, and pure fanboy pride.

AJFA is their best album and it's loving perfect in every way.

Hetfield, Hammett and Ulrich had been on the relentless album\touring since they were about 19 years old. By the time Cliff died, they had the emotional maturity of a turnip. Partly because record labels enjoy keeping bands at the same emotional maturity so that they keep churning out the same content.

AJFA is basically James and Lars blasting out their grief over Cliff at a million decibels, and not giving many fucks about whether or not you like it. Not that they realise it at the time, they were doing what sounded\felt right.

ERGO:
Did Metallica sound right without Cliff on bass? gently caress no. Who's this fuckin' wannabe? The album sounds poo poo with that bass, it's not Cliff so turn it down.
Was the album one gigantic riff salad of unbeatably loving awesome Thrash Metal riffs? gently caress yeah it was. James couldn't process emotion through...y'know. Therapy. So he did it with alcohol and loving amazing riffs.
Was Lars

But the end result is a grating, unpleasant, difficult, confronting album to listen to. That's EVERYTHING that a Metal album SHOULD be.

"Excuse me, I want my Metal to sound pleasant and pretty and nice. I would like some bass guitar so that the scary guitar sounds less scary"

Get hosed. You're gonna get an album of pissed off Hetfield, screaming directly into your earholes for the entire duration. Then he'll let Kirk play the best fuckin' solos of his career. Meanwhile Lars will

Albums are meant to be a bit of a time capsulte. It's meant to capture everything that the musicians were feeling at that time. Not only are the songs heavy and ugly, the album sounds heavy and ugly and it is everything about where the band was at that time.

So yeah. AJFA is by far my favourite Metallica album and I argue probably still the greatest metal album of all time.

If AJFA is too scary for you because it doesn't have bass, might I suggest you listen to Load instead? (Note: Load is actually one of their best loving albums fight me you gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

he doesn't practice. he doesn't care. he just prints money and talks poo poo.

Correct.

Lars is a mediocre (at best) drummer, but as a songwriter and band manager, he's invaluable to the band. He is why we've even heard of Metallica.

So no, he doesn't practice or care about his drums. He prints money and talks poo poo, which get people talking about Metallica which means he gets to print more money...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I'm definitely a die hard, but lately it's been a big ol pile of disappointment. I can't think of a single song from hardwired that's made it to my playlists with regularity. Death Magnetic, sure, and a ton of the early stuff.

with some of load/re-load it's weird and bad but at least interesting

Spit Out The Bone is amazing.

...but 72 Seasons felt like a total sellout album to me. The guitar tone was pretty weak and "friendly" and there were so many cliches in the lyrics and riffs...

It felt like I was listening to an album that a committee thinks a Metallica album sounds like, rather than listening to an actual Metallica album.

The last song was pretty great though. That one felt like an actual song.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

That's been every Metallica album since Metallica (the black album)

I'd argue that the band wanted to make Load and Reload. Sure it wasn't thrash metal, but there was a fair bit of heart and soul put into those albums. They grew up listening to Thin Lizzy and stuff, so after ~20 odd years of playing thrash metal, I can understand wanting to play something different for a change.

Metallica were one of the hardest touring bands for a long time. They've played those thrashy songs a billion times before. So I get why they would want to do something a bit different.

St. Anger wasn't a sellout. 'COS IT DIDN'T SELL ANYTHING HIYOOOOO

Death Magnetic was a "See we can still be okay" after St. Anger

Hardwired could be condensed to 1 very good album.

72...ugh...