Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

psiox posted:

do you mean using the imagebuilder or actually compiling? because, having done both, i can assure you that the binary imagebuilder is FAR less of a pain in the rear end and compiling is basically unnecessary unless you really need to run at the bleeding edge

well, yes. i'm asking if there's a reason to compile, or i guess if the default configs for the packages from the imagebuilder are fine

i remember customizing it pretty extensively last time, but that was over 10 years ago and beyond knowing that a lot of that was busybox (for features that are enabled by default now) i don't remember what else or why lol

but i also remember that the imagebuilder sucked back then so it was kinda necessary anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also iirc you use adguard home right?

well, even if not, do you know if you need to do anything special with uci-defaults for it? lol

i'm probably gonna do the image tomorrow

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a Nighthawk XR500 that runs like, dumaOS or something. Is OpenWRT basically that (with LuCI) but with more tools and stuff? I can’t think of use cases for me rn but I also am a networking idiot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have no idea what that is, but openwrt is an embedded linux distro that runs on everything from the old wrt54g to x86 computers and whatnot

LuCI is the web interface for configuring it (and it's modular, so if you install new packages they can add a LuCI interface). but while it can be router firmware, it's more of a general linux distro than, well, router firmware

that doesn't mean it's hard to use though. LuCI is pretty easy to use, if you can configure a router using a web interface that isn't a wizard you'll be fine