Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m bored and wanna install Linux on my current computer, but I don’t want to partition one of my drives with data on it and i dont want to gently caress anything up on my windows install. can I boot clear Linux from a usb, mess around with it and try some proton stuff, maybe install some packages and still have access to the like GPU and all that? it’s been a while since I did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
absolutely. pretty much any distro will allow you to, and if they don't you can probably get it to work with rufus: https://rufus.ie/en/

of course i'm going to recommend clear here, https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/current/

you probably want clear-build#-live-desktop.iso

just keep in mind it doesn't support the persistent storage option in rufus. i suggest just installing it to a partition on your usb drive, but if you're going to do this, it's much much easier to make a new partition before writing the iso image. you can also install to a different usb stick or even a sd card inserted into a reader or something though, if you want to keep it simple

e: if you do want something that supports the persistent storage option: you want something debian-based, so either debian itself or some ubuntu variant (i suggest kubuntu, it comes with kde). that will allow you to e.g. install proton (or whatever else you want) with just using the live distro, but imo it's generally not advisable since those use default accounts with no password, meaning su to root does not require one either. so you could easily mess up your system if you aren't careful

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 13, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i suppose a workaround to clear not supporting persistent storage would be something like this:

boot clear in a VM with access to your USB stick (there are several premade VM images in the link above, but you can also just use the live desktop iso), install clear using the installer to it, then boot off of the completed install when it's done

like i said though it's also possible to install it to some other drive attached to the system, as long as it's block storage it'll work (so other usb drives, sd cards, cf cards, etc. are all fair play here). but you will not be able to install many new packages to just the iso image written to a bootable usb drive (it will use a ramdisk, so whatever you do install will not be persistent, i.e. it will disappear when you reboot). you'll have to install it somewhere to really be able to install whatever you want

e: VM images specifically referenced in their documentation are here: https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/image/

but as you can see when comparing it to the previous link, those builds are pretty old

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 13, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

don't partition, just reformat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nobody Interesting posted:

don't partition, just reformat

you actually might be able to do this, you can force the installer to download the packages it needs instead of copying them from the image (but you'd need to run the installer from the terminal, there's no gui option for this). there's no guarantee the system won't need something from disk if you're running a desktop manager anyway though, and the live-desktop iso images boot into gnome by default

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also all of my posts above assume you only have one (1) usb disk. if you have multiple: yeah, apply the image with rufus to one of them, then boot off of it and install clear to the other one (and if you don't care about the data on it, just format the whole thing). easy peasy

since the iso is only like 4 gb you could probably use a sd card for the installer if you don't have an extra usb stick, 4 gb is pretty small these days

e: and i keep mentioning that because all of my non-apple laptops have microsd readers and lots of pcs have sd readers

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2024

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i wound up ordering one of those cute little gpd palmtops in a moment of weakness and can't wait to struggle with lunix on it. it's be nice if steamos worked well on it but somehow i doubt it'd be turnkey so oh well, it'll be worth a shot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i used to have a gpd pocket and i loved it, but it was slow back when it was new (using an atom x7)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ok I have successfully uninstalled all of my games from my game disk, cleared off an extra 90gb from my windows disk, and am just gonna install clear Linux on the former game disk. hopefully windows doesn’t get mad about that lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if you can just disconnect your windows drive, i'd do that just in case

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

if you can just disconnect your windows drive, i'd do that just in case

in case of what??

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

in case of what??

idk, you could select the wrong drive when installing?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Core War for your boot sector.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was reading the docs and checking out the source code repo (I’m not smart enough to know what a lot of it does) for ClearLinux and it seems really messy and like the community for it started to die off about a year ago.

i checked out the subreddit and the last post was 108d ago lol. are devs burning out because it’s a passion project or is something up/more convenient for the average dweeb? a lot of feedback is the package manager sucks

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was reading the docs and checking out the source code repo (I’m not smart enough to know what a lot of it does) for ClearLinux and it seems really messy and like the community for it started to die off about a year ago.

i checked out the subreddit and the last post was 108d ago lol. are devs burning out because it’s a passion project or is something up/more convenient for the average dweeb? a lot of feedback is the package manager sucks

whatever beeftweeter tells you to do, do the exact opposite. installing a niche distro that Intel will inevitably shitcan was poor advice.

take a look at Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Linux Mint depending on whether gnome, kde or cinnamon float your boat. they’re all very well put together, all Debian based and you’ll be able to find a package for basically anything

if you have any questions about them, post here or dm me

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I will thanks! and credit to beefy, all the metrics point to Clear being dominantly performant and secure, but it’s like a ghost town

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

oh, to be clear, I’m not trying to start a “beef” here

beef, I’m sure your advice is given with the best intentions,but you fell into the hyper-nerd trap of, “hey I love this complex thing I’m neck deep in. I’ll advocate it to everyone, regardless of their actual needs”. I’ve fallen into the same trap many times lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the repos for the most part have been updated hours ago: https://github.com/orgs/clearlinux/repositories?type=all it is constantly being worked on. there is a clear linux forum on their own site that the community uses, https://community.clearlinux.org/ there are several posts from the past few days, a few from the past few hours

the official package manager, swupd, does in fact suck. you can see a lot of posts in the real linux thread with me complaining about it, but luckily you can use dnf (the package manager fedora uses) instead, and it's not hard to do

and honestly who gives a poo poo if some subreddit is dead, that happens all the time

shitface posted:

whatever beeftweeter tells you to do, do the exact opposite. installing a niche distro that Intel will inevitably shitcan was poor advice.

actually, gently caress this moron, he's illiterate. i suggested kubuntu as an alternative, you know, in reply to the post where fat32 specifically, literally asks for help with clear linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shitface posted:

oh, to be clear, I’m not trying to start a “beef” here

beef, I’m sure your advice is given with the best intentions,but you fell into the hyper-nerd trap of, “hey I love this complex thing I’m neck deep in. I’ll advocate it to everyone, regardless of their actual needs”. I’ve fallen into the same trap many times lol

nah gently caress off

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

nah gently caress off

lol

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

the repos for the most part have been updated hours ago: https://github.com/orgs/clearlinux/repositories?type=all it is constantly being worked on. there is a clear linux forum on their own site that the community uses, https://community.clearlinux.org/ there are several posts from the past few days, a few from the past few hours

the official package manager, swupd, does in fact suck. you can see a lot of posts in the real linux thread with me complaining about it, but luckily you can use dnf (the package manager fedora uses) instead, and it's not hard to do

and honestly who gives a poo poo if some subreddit is dead, that happens all the time

if you have to write three paragraphs justifying why your nerd trap is good actually, it’s not good. it’s definitely not good for someone unfamiliar with it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i'd choose fedora over something debian based, but never clear linux, what's the point. if you want clear, install gentoo, seriously. you're already in their demographic

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Tankakern posted:

i'd choose fedora over something debian based, but never clear linux, what's the point. if you want clear, install gentoo, seriously. you're already in their demographic

something off the rhel/fedora branch is fine too but I’d suggest the package management and availability are not quite as good. very viable overall though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shitface posted:

if you have to write three paragraphs justifying why your nerd trap is good actually, it’s not good. it’s definitely not good for someone unfamiliar with it

see? this guy thinks five sentences specifically replying to things mentioned in the op is three paragraphs, he's an idiot. sorry five sentences are such a monumental lift for you

Tankakern posted:

you don't have to compile anything on clear, all of the packages are already optimized. either way use whatever you want, i don't care

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m still leaning clear over fedora just cuz worse case I nuke it and install fedora anyways, but I remember the secfuck thread having posts about the distros that I wanna go back and re-read

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I’ll leave at this: -

rhel/fedora/alma/rocky: you expect you might use Linux for work at some point. this line is where most commercial support is

debian/*buntu/mint: you want the most readily available desktop/home/home server

everything else: you enjoy pissing in the wind and/or are very bored/terminally unemployed

:shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

So it seems that all y’all operating systems are pieces of poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

see? this guy thinks five sentences specifically replying to things mentioned in the op is three paragraphs, he's an idiot. sorry five sentences are such a monumental lift for you

you don't have to compile anything on clear, all of the packages are already optimized. either way use whatever you want, i don't care

i also dont care!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i havent installed a desktop linux for like, idk, 8 years?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's a teachable moment on caring and/or publically debating about these things here for all sides.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
now that it's not 4 am i will say this about clear: idk where people are getting the idea that it's some impossible thing to use that only works correctly once you've hosed with billions of configuration files. it's not, it's actually very easy to use — if your hardwire is supported. if it's not? move on, use something else, there's very little chance you will get it to work

it is developed continuously by intel employees, for intel hardware (much like fedora is developed continuously by ibm employees); new builds are released basically every other day, if not sooner. it's not a little project developed by one guy in romania in their spare time. it's intel's distro, they've been developing it for years, and there is no indication they are going to stop anytime soon.

most of the complaints about swupd aren't because it's too hard to use. it's the opposite: it's too easy to use, and people want more granular control! it doesn't use the concept of packages in the same way as other distros. in fact, it doesn't use packages at all, instead using the concept of "bundles" that include what you want, all of it's dependencies, and maybe some other stuff someone at intel thought you would want, and maybe plus some other crap too.

so e.g. `swupd bundle-add kde-desktop` will install kde for you. it will also install a few kde apps they thought you might want. it will also install SDDM and switch you to using it (instead of the default GDM), and put entries for whatever desktop environments you might have. it will do all of this automatically, without you needing to do anything, and far faster than a traditional package manager

but if you do want a traditional package manager, you can use `dnf`, it comes with the os image (most people don't seem to know this, but even intel's docs tell you to use it as an alternative). if you want to install stuff from elsewhere, snap and docker are there, and you can add new dnf repos or just install third-party rpms yourself, just like any other distro.

anyway: if you want to use it? great, it's faster than any other distro, or any other OS, for that matter. i've been using it as a daily driver for about 6 months and can answer questions about it and maybe help with issues. if you don't? that's fine too, i don't give a poo poo

finally, you should never listen to shitface, he cares deeply about what distro you use. lol, lmao

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

use fedora as a normal-person distro

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Nobody Interesting posted:

use fedora as a normal-person distro

:wrong:

ubuntu is “i just want everything to work”

debian is “i just want everything to work for a headless server and i am probably going to run this without touching it for many many years”

fedora is “i want the most current kernel and userspace within reason”

rhel is “i want to run this for 8 years and i want to pay somebody to fix my issues specifically if i find any”

opensuse/sles are the same as fedora/rhel but with better internationalization and a more pragmatic approach to backporting/retrofiting fixes vs starting at upstream and waiting for the support to trickle down to a release like RH does

clear is “i want everything compiled with -O6 insane optimizer flags using intels secret sauce compiler”

gentoo is clear but compiling it yourself and learning how far is too far for optimizations. it also is kinda good at teaching you how the linux os works since you have to build and connect and config the whole thing

arch is like gentoo but with no compiling

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

:wrong:

ubuntu is “i just want everything to work”

debian is “i just want everything to work for a headless server and i am probably going to run this without touching it for many many years”

fedora is “i want the most current kernel and userspace within reason”

rhel is “i want to run this for 8 years and i want to pay somebody to fix my issues specifically if i find any”

opensuse/sles are the same as fedora/rhel but with better internationalization and a more pragmatic approach to backporting/retrofiting fixes vs starting at upstream and waiting for the support to trickle down to a release like RH does

clear is “i want everything compiled with -O6 insane optimizer flags using intels secret sauce compiler”

gentoo is clear but compiling it yourself and learning how far is too far for optimizations. it also is kinda good at teaching you how the linux os works since you have to build and connect and config the whole thing

arch is like gentoo but with no compiling

I just want to browse the web and do email and imessage

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
iphone/ipad

ezpz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

iphone/ipad

ezpz

really the only good Linux

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

ubuntu used to be that, yes, but since snap is in perpetual alpha state and they randomly install things in snap instead, things break all the time that don't need to break.

fedora is the new justworks distro. ubuntu ended their relationship with justworks because the concept is too proudy.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

first thing i do in ubuntu desktop is disable the poo poo out of snap as far as i am able to

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

that's not really "just want everything to work" at that point. if part of the installation procedure is to remove features (or "features") you're fully out of just works territory. (Windows counts for this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

it is developed continuously by intel employees, for intel hardware

Beeftweeter posted:

it's intel's distro, they've been developing it for years, and there is no indication they are going to stop anytime soon.

oh ok, so they’ll stop supporting it after the next round of layoffs