Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

oh ok, so they’ll stop supporting it after the next round of layoffs

intel has pretty much bet the farm on linux, so i don't think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

intel has pretty much bet the farm on linux, so i don't think so

wait what? they have? why wouldn’t they open source the drivers and tweaks for all distros to leverage then?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wait what? they have? why wouldn’t they open source the drivers and tweaks for all distros to leverage then?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/topic-technology/open/overview.html

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also clear is completely open, other developers can incorporate whatever they want from it. mesa in particular regularly gets contributions from intel

i wouldn't be surprised if they have taken bits and pieces, but remember clear's #1 priority is intel platforms, cpus, gpus, etc. — i even couldn't get it to boot on my ryzen laptop and knew it was futile to try

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

:wrong:

ubuntu is “i just want everything to work”

debian is “i just want everything to work for a headless server and i am probably going to run this without touching it for many many years”

fedora is “i want the most current kernel and userspace within reason”

rhel is “i want to run this for 8 years and i want to pay somebody to fix my issues specifically if i find any”

opensuse/sles are the same as fedora/rhel but with better internationalization and a more pragmatic approach to backporting/retrofiting fixes vs starting at upstream and waiting for the support to trickle down to a release like RH does

clear is “i want everything compiled with -O6 insane optimizer flags using intels secret sauce compiler”

gentoo is clear but compiling it yourself and learning how far is too far for optimizations. it also is kinda good at teaching you how the linux os works since you have to build and connect and config the whole thing

arch is like gentoo but with no compiling

im an idiot but i found arch pretty easy and simple to install. they have a really good wiki too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fresh_cheese posted:

:wrong:

ubuntu is “i just want everything to work”

debian is “i just want everything to work for a headless server and i am probably going to run this without touching it for many many years”

fedora is “i want the most current kernel and userspace within reason”

rhel is “i want to run this for 8 years and i want to pay somebody to fix my issues specifically if i find any”

opensuse/sles are the same as fedora/rhel but with better internationalization and a more pragmatic approach to backporting/retrofiting fixes vs starting at upstream and waiting for the support to trickle down to a release like RH does

clear is “i want everything compiled with -O6 insane optimizer flags using intels secret sauce compiler”

gentoo is clear but compiling it yourself and learning how far is too far for optimizations. it also is kinda good at teaching you how the linux os works since you have to build and connect and config the whole thing

arch is like gentoo but with no compiling

what about nix os

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
never used nix os, from their example vids it looks neat

all the consistency of building a totally new virtual machine for each build combined with the variety of runtimes offered by travisci and friends

if youre in the swdev space its probably hella good. you can probably build devious test configs with it also if you are targeting native installables and not containers.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
who is travis ci and why are there 101 of them

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
pretty sure its a bit but just in case its not

https://www.travis-ci.com

yea its not really good per se, but was the first comparable i thought of

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

pretty sure its a bit

:ssh: don't tell fresh_cheese

oh wait poo poo

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

yea i am powerfully dum as you can tell from my posts

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

relatable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
huh

https://www.facebook.com/JMIjazzmusicinstitute/videos/faculty-interview-travis-jenkins/678868382818026/

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I almost had to use a linux this weekend but thankfully the plans fell through :cheers:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey beefy i'm using kde and my sound is all shitted up some pipewire nonsense what gives

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

hey beefy i'm using kde and my sound is all shitted up some pipewire nonsense what gives

idk what this even means lol

anyway kde doesn't come with pipewire or even require it, so :shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

idk what this even means lol

anyway kde doesn't come with pipewire or even require it, so :shrug:

it's your fault tho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

it's your fault tho

oh well that's different then. sorry

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

are you sure it's pipewire? that's the good one so i'm wondering if you've actually good pulseaudio which is the bad one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

are you sure it's pipewire? that's the good one so i'm wondering if you've actually good pulseaudio which is the bad one

it’s definitely pipewire. i mitigated the worst of it by manually setting quantum values real low and also switching over the output device to non amp instead of an amp, but it’s still crackly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Captain Foo posted:

it’s definitely pipewire. i mitigated the worst of it by manually setting quantum values real low and also switching over the output device to non amp instead of an amp, but it’s still crackly

try asio

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
i'm mad someone already said dnf = 'does not gently caress' before me because i just thought of it and came here to say it

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

ryanrs posted:

My $16 travel router / MIPS dev box is up and running. I added a $13 64GB microSD card for more storage. It has 128MB of RAM, which is enough to run real software like compilers.

this fuckin rocks buddy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

what were you using before, pulseaudio?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Linux has had historically good sound support. so he’s probably lying

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

anyone suggest an app like FanControl for Linux?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

thread title

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

anyone suggest an app like FanControl for Linux?

also thread title

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

what were you using before, pulseaudio?

this was a fresh install, i don’t know what it was on my previous install because it just worked

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

this was a fresh install, i don’t know what it was on my previous install because it just worked

hmm. i was thinking crackly is usually some kind of lossy conversion (bit depth, sample rate, could be a few things i guess)

idk much about pipewire tbh, it... just works for me lol

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Scud Hansen posted:

this fuckin rocks buddy

Second episode posted in the home networking thread.

I take a $20 Aruba AP-303H hotel access point and rm -rf /aruba. Its big weakness is the SPI NAND flash which is ridiculously slow, like 1MB/s. But it has 512MB of RAM and good PoE support, including a downstream powered port. The PoE features in particular don't usually show up on home routers.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

Jonny 290 posted:

thread title

i would change it if i knew how
how do i get the man page for sa
be nice to me i'm on an airplane and i'm scared

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

ryanrs posted:

Second episode posted in the home networking thread.

I take a $20 Aruba AP-303H hotel access point and rm -rf /aruba. Its big weakness is the SPI NAND flash which is ridiculously slow, like 1MB/s. But it has 512MB of RAM and good PoE support, including a downstream powered port. The PoE features in particular don't usually show up on home routers.

i feel like i should check out the serious compute forum
i haven't hosed with router firmware in a serious way, just putting tomato on thrift store linksys routers
i'm going to buy one of those two boxes and start loving with it when i get home

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I saw this on TikTok and it got me interested in doing something more than my modem + XR500 Nighthawk, but I’m not sure I’m ready to start pulling POE everywhere that the cameras don’t need lol

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7358328632953179438

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7358666419522800926

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol speaking of i found out asuswrt is getting EOL'd for my model like 2 days ago

guess i'll have to go on openwrt for real now. damnit i had such a good track record of putting it off, that merlin guy really made it tolerable

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive been p happy with the protectli vp2420 i got

don't remember if id posted about it here but i put regular debian stable/bookworm on it and am using systemd-networkd for all the interface/vlan/dhcp/ipv6 config, firewalld for routing/firewall, and adblock home in a docker container for dns. oh and its also got wireguard set up where its acting as a bidirectional gateway to a couple other places

in terms of hardware i gave it a 1tb nvme sata ssd and 32gb ram, figuring ill find a use for all that at some point. its neat that its basically Just A Computer where i can run pretty much anything on it as long as it doesn't demand a ton of cpu

i couldve just gone with opnsense but docker support is a hard requirement for me, and now that ive got things working on stock debian i'm pretty much set at this point without needing to keep track of the latest *sense drama

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also ive only got a 300dn/100up fiber plan here but i swear i'm getting noticeably better load times on the protectli than on the very long-lived unifi usg that preceded it. maybe its due to the dns where i'd enabled optimistic caching

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

posting from Bazzite

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Progressive JPEG posted:

also ive only got a 300dn/100up fiber plan here but i swear i'm getting noticeably better load times on the protectli than on the very long-lived unifi usg that preceded it. maybe its due to the dns where i'd enabled optimistic caching

adguard's dns really is pretty good, it sped up load times on a heavily variable speed 5G connection, well, a lot. i don't have a measurement lol, but i am pretty certain it's faster. nextdns is good too, but since i use them more for adblocking (dns/dhcp is just a bonus) adguard wins out, it has better filtering abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

if ur talking about the really old unifi USG it was underpowered even on release and if you have some of the qos or packet inspection stuff enabled it maxes out at 100mb