Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really want to like gnome, but it just feels so off. I also don’t like how the dock hides itself unless you click the super button

also also I keep trying to use macOS shortcuts like cmd + space bar and then getting annoyed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

you can configure shortcuts

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for now at least, i assume some jackass at gnome is working on removing that feature as we speak

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

for now at least, i assume some jackass at gnome is working on removing that feature as we speak

I don’t think I could use a desktop made by foot fetishists

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

why use keyboard shortcuts if every device is a touchscreen

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
new version of gnome-terminal will only accept gestures as input

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

guh gnome

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

new version of gnome-terminal will only accept gestures as input

toe gestures

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

is there a way to do like 3 finger swipes to change workspaces in uhhhhh kde (i think? whatever came with linux mint)? that's the big thing i miss running it on my old mbp

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how do I know if a KDE theme is going to rm -tf my poo poo? I switched from gnome-bazzite to KDE-bazzite and it’s insane how many customisation options there sre

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I will say that I liked how much more straightforward and simple gnome was, but that dock/window manager thingo it was doing was awful

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I will say that I liked how much more straightforward and simple gnome was, but that dock/window manager thingo it was doing was awful

kde is a settings manager for people who like changing a lot of settings and don't really have anything else to do. you can fix gnome's stupid defaults in 5-10 mins and then you're off to the races with a clean, productive desktop

shitface posted:

I mentioned I usually install a few extensions to take some rough edges off of gnome. the first thing I do on a fresh gnome install is install "Extension Manager" not "Extensions", which is similar but worse.

Then I install
- ArcMenu: nice functional menu. whatever your favourite incarnation of the start menu was, it's here and a click away in its prefs. Bind it to Windows/Super and it can take over from Overview with fast, accurate search and customisable quick links for some of the menu styles
- No Overview at Startup: I hate the Overview thing in general and I definitely don't want it to be first thing I see.
- Dash to Panel: Simple classic Windows style panel. Can group or not as you wish

for whatever reason I never try to make linux Mac-like with docks or so on. they're all too uncanny valley

I removed some potentially identifying apps from favorites before screenshotting. also, don't edge shame me

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

also also I keep trying to use macOS shortcuts like cmd + space bar and then getting annoyed lol

install ulauncher and rebind cmd+space

shitface posted:

there’s lots of them. i settled on ulauncher. can even do nice things like integrate 2fa codes in there

e: again though, arcmenu does these too. hit cmd, start typing and apps, files etc. will appear

also, if you're missing Mac-isms

shitface posted:

if you don’t wanna go full compiz but you miss the genie minimize effect from Mac, “Compiz alike magic lamp effect” gnome extension does the trick well.

genie effect does have a practical purpose of letting you clearly see where your window went, even in your peripheral vision. it’s also real purdy :allears:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

kde is good and it displays the creative wonderment that is the linux community, for it stands for something you would never expect:

"K Desktop Environment"

brings a tear to my eye tbh

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don’t particularly mind it, tho themes don’t seem to install correctly when loading from flatpacks. the only thing I didn’t like about the stock gnome that came with Bazzite was that you couldn’t see the dock unless you hit super, and I really prefer having super be the main shortcut button. the windows button on my ergodox wasn’t supposed to be easy to reach so I didn’t open it while gaming lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

also I used alsamixer to make my mic not sound like poo poo tonight and until I figured it out I was really annoyed that if this is just how it’s going to be then that’ll be a deal breaker lol

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I don’t particularly mind it, tho themes don’t seem to install correctly when loading from flatpacks. the only thing I didn’t like about the stock gnome that came with Bazzite was that you couldn’t see the dock unless you hit super, and I really prefer having super be the main shortcut button. the windows button on my ergodox wasn’t supposed to be easy to reach so I didn’t open it while gaming lol

what you’re asking for is exactly what the arc menu and dock to panel plugins do

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

also I used alsamixer to make my mic not sound like poo poo tonight and until I figured it out I was really annoyed that if this is just how it’s going to be then that’ll be a deal breaker lol

theres a couple of settings in the kde system settings under sound/input devices too, but if you're using alsa alsamixer is decent and pretty easy to use too

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

you should install themes from the kde system settings (or via the official website, if the description there tells you not to). i haven't seen kde themes in flatpacks tbh, idk where you're even getting them from. you can install GTK (gnome) themes from there too so they match

e: "system settings, system settings, it's not a control panel, there's no such thing as the control panel" i mutter to myself as they strap on the straightjacket

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 23, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
like keep in mind whatever desktop environment you end up using, it's going to have a learning curve. gnome's philosophy is that there shouldn't be a learning curve and that their defaults are good enough for everyone and that if you want to change it you're a deranged lunatic. good luck using a bunch of janky hacks! (signed,)

kde doesn't treat you like you have extensive brain damage, so it is a bit more difficult to configure (by "a bit more difficult" i mean like changing five or six settings in the system settings app). you might have to download a theme manually here or there, but that's usually far easier than getting some extremely version-specific gnome hack to work. like i said you can also install (and even preview) GTK themes from the same system settings screen, it's not like GTK apps won't work under KDE

e: by "plugin" or "extension" above shitface means "hack" (much like themselves). those aren't officially supported lol, and will absolutely break version-to-version. ignore them and use kde

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 23, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

idk, I was under the impression that the Discovery app on Fedora was Flathub, and that also has a bunch of themes and kde stuff :shobon:

shitface posted:

what you’re asking for is exactly what the arc menu and dock to panel plugins do

hmm. is there a resource to deep dive all the UI customisation stuff?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oic. the discover app is made by KDE, not gnome, and yeah it just has downloads in whatever format is available, so yeah there's flatpaks and snaps on there etc.

but you should be using the dedicated system settings theme uhh panel? lol to install themes (imo). i'd think you run into far fewer issues, plus like i said if it needs to be installed manually the descriptions on there will explicitly say so

e: unless you're talking about some fedora-specific "discovery" app, in which case idk and can't help with

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 23, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

discovery is probably kde since on the gnome variant the “App Store” was called something else and had a different look/feel/organisation

good to know about the system menu though! most of the themes I tried either couldn’t unpack an archive or wanted to make changes to SDDM, which then failed and I’d have to go through all the customisation options and nuke what did install successfully

ok I’ll keep fuckin around. this is fun! im impressed how much betger the experience is since i last did this in 2016 haha

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

discovery is KDE's frontend for package management via flaptak, snap, and packagekit.

most people use it for flatpaks/flathub. fedora does not include snap.

in fedora, flathub is disabled a source by default until you click "add flathub", it also hooks into dnf for your update notifications and poo poo.

it is generally unwise to install things like themes and poo poo through discovery / flatpaks. go to the KDE system centre and click "Add New" where it'll search the kdelook thing store website for themes for you and install them "properly". numix is the best theme so you can ignore most of it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
again idk if you're talking about something fedora specific, because kde's thing is called "discover", not "discovery"

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

discovery is KDE's frontend for package management via flaptak, snap, and packagekit. it is named discovery when we choose to mispell it once and gaslight ourselves into believing it was always called discovery and not discover.

there's only 3 lights, beef.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nobody Interesting posted:

discovery is KDE's frontend for package management via flaptak, snap, and packagekit. it is named discovery when we choose to mispell it once and gaslight ourselves into believing it was always called discovery and not discover.

there's only 3 lights, beef.

i'm onto you spoonheads :argh:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hmm. is there a resource to deep dive all the UI customisation stuff?

gnome is intentionally deep as a puddle. it's a pretty substrate for, you know, getting things done. with that said customisation is done via extensions. install "extension manager" and search for what you want

want wibbly-wobbly windows like compiz? search for "compiz"

want a sane panel? search for "panel"

I will note that search by relevance is dogshit. search by downloads instead because that will prioritize the extensions that are used/tested and solved the same things for other people

install these and you can go gently caress around with actual applications, instead of your desktop. a panel. a fast, customisable menu that can take on the look and functionality of whatever version of windows you last didn't hate, has fast search, and can be assigned to windows/super. none of that dumb overview poo poo you didn't like. just a lean, functional desktop that doesn't get in the way

if instead you want you want the DE equivalent of a fidget spinner - and that's entirely valid if your use case is loving around with "linux" and I get that - stick with KDE

e: I see Beef remains mad from his prior meltdown he had in his parents basement at 3am over being mildly disagreed with about linux. that's kde_user.html alright. woods/trees

shitface fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2024

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gnome is the mac of linux windowmanagers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk if thats true, i just liked typing it

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

pretty much. opinionated defaults but generally not much to gently caress around with, or needs loving around with. gnome has a few more badpinions by default, owing to a misguided attempt to be a tablet/mobile ui, that are easy to fix

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

xfce is the linux of linyux window managers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

so i guess kde is like snow leopard server with the server management app for all of the settings panels

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
man i miss when apple was a computer company

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

how is kde scaling these days?

i mainly switched from a mix of kde and sway to gnome because i started carrying gpd win like devices, and gnome scaled really well on the high-res small screens, and the ui is really touch friendly

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was kind of starting to like plasma 6, but then after waiting in queue for a squad server I finally got down to 5/18 and plasma crashed and took the game with it. nearly immediately re installed with gnome, and it’s still crashing on screen blank

:sigh:

I’ll try it when I build the new computer, maybe I just shut my computer down at night lol. I’m assuming the package I downloaded today was the Fedora 40 image, but it occurred to me that I was just trying to replicate Mac lite on kde and gnome was better at it and I didn’t feel like I keep actively breaking the stock theme lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was kind of starting to like plasma 6, but then after waiting in queue for a squad server I finally got down to 5/18 and plasma crashed and took the game with it. nearly immediately re installed with gnome, and it’s still crashing on screen blank

:sigh:

I’ll try it when I build the new computer, maybe I just shut my computer down at night lol. I’m assuming the package I downloaded today was the Fedora 40 image, but it occurred to me that I was just trying to replicate Mac lite on kde and gnome was better at it and I didn’t feel like I keep actively breaking the stock theme lol

unironically just try clear, couldn't hurt at this point

outhole surfer posted:

how is kde scaling these days?

i mainly switched from a mix of kde and sway to gnome because i started carrying gpd win like devices, and gnome scaled really well on the high-res small screens, and the ui is really touch friendly

pretty well, you might remember i primarily use it on smaller screens too, i love me some dense pixels

i use it either at native res (10" 1920x1200) or 4k (11", but i use hidpi, scaled to around 1440p equiv). if you're having trouble i'd just use more simplified widgets and such, they're far easier to find than more complex ones anyway. like, even when i'm using the 4k laptop i'm still using a 11" screen, and pretty much anything still works fine (though at straight up native res it's uhh extremely hard to use, lol, definitely use hidpi). your eyes and fine motor control (to hit targets etc with any kind of accuracy lol) are the limit basically

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 27, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
im currently using arch and its nice but one downside seems to be that if you use a debian based distro there's usually a deb straight from the source for everything, but on arch you're dependent on stuff in the AUR from random guys which idk how much you can trust.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mila kunis posted:

im currently using arch and its nice but one downside seems to be that if you use a debian based distro there's usually a deb straight from the source for everything, but on arch you're dependent on stuff in the AUR from random guys which idk how much you can trust.

running anything but debian/rhel based distros is essentially installing an automated dick/pussy punching machine. if you really want to be continuously punched in the genitals, you should do that

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mila kunis posted:

and half the time the aur just downloads a deb, extracts it, then packages the contents up in a pkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it’s surprising that they haven’t just come together and come up with standard binary containers. even just .exe and .dmg standins where the .exe standin is non-containerised and the .dmg standin is containerised would be huge