Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it’s surprising that they haven’t just come together and come up with standard binary containers. even just .exe and .dmg standins where the .exe standin is non-containerised and the .dmg standin is containerised would be huge

Thats what flatpak is, and also appimage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if Linux users could all agree on a unified standard they wouldn’t be Linux users

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

Thats what flatpak is, and also appimage

right, but isn’t that also what snap and deb are too? lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

if Linux users could all agree on a unified standard they wouldn’t be Linux users

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

system deez nutz

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idk, app images now being linux systems is a clever ploy to make linux users embrace proper application distribution images. basically linux on the desktop right?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

shitface posted:

running anything but debian/rhel based distros is essentially installing an automated dick/pussy punching machine. if you really want to be continuously punched in the genitals, you should do that

idk much about linux, whats the tradeoffs between debian vs redhat based distros? i'm familiar and comfortable with apt and understand its pretty good, but i also i heard debian tends to get out of date pretty quickly - eg, i'd like to use kde 6. i guess fedora would give me that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mila kunis posted:

idk much about linux, whats the tradeoffs between debian vs redhat based distros? i'm familiar and comfortable with apt and understand its pretty good, but i also i heard debian tends to get out of date pretty quickly - eg, i'd like to use kde 6. i guess fedora would give me that

well it’s Linux so neither is good at desktop apps. red hat is like a big company or something and Ubuntu has a funny name

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

no, a deb is just an archive that extracts to predefined paths and maybe sets some settings or it could be basically source to make that archive

i never cared enough about snap to look into how it works and i'm not going to

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shitface posted:

running anything but debian/rhel based distros is essentially installing an automated dick/pussy punching machine. if you really want to be continuously punched in the genitals, you should do that

you're a moron

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

you're a moron

Beeftweeter posted:

no, a deb is just an archive that extracts to predefined paths and maybe sets some settings or it could be basically source to make that archive

:wrong:

postinst scripts

mila kunis posted:

despite repeated attempts to reinvent it I've always had more issues from the rpm/yum/dnf stuff than dpkg/apt*. more importantly (to me) I trust redhat about as far as I could throw beeftweeter, which is likely not very far. they already hosed centos https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/centos-shifts-from-red-hat-unbranded-to-red-hat-beta/ and I don't particularly trust them not to gently caress fedora in some way, even though that relationship is different, being mainly financial support

it's true that Debian-derived distros tend to move slower than fedora for things like major desktop updates. for me, I favour stability over the latest shiny thing so I'm ok with it. fedora does tend to ship the latest thing fast if it's a priority for you

all I'm saying is that running one of the major distros is going to be easier because that's where the users are. that's where the project packagers and maintainers are. that's where the independent packagers are (for example it's extremely likely that someone will package kde 6 in an ubuntu ppa before it's shipped by debian or canonical). that's where the users who report problems are. it should be self-evident to anyone that that's where you're going to have the best/easiest experience. if you value these things over riced compiler options, that's where you should go

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh man you sure owned me by posting penny arcade or whatever that dumb poo poo is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont like linux

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kde would probably be fun if I had more free time to gently caress around with stuff, but gnome is a much more gentle transition from macOS all day at work

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

shitface posted:

:wrong:

postinst scripts

despite repeated attempts to reinvent it I've always had more issues from the rpm/yum/dnf stuff than dpkg/apt*. more importantly (to me) I trust redhat about as far as I could throw beeftweeter, which is likely not very far. they already hosed centos https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/centos-shifts-from-red-hat-unbranded-to-red-hat-beta/ and I don't particularly trust them not to gently caress fedora in some way, even though that relationship is different, being mainly financial support

it's true that Debian-derived distros tend to move slower than fedora for things like major desktop updates. for me, I favour stability over the latest shiny thing so I'm ok with it. fedora does tend to ship the latest thing fast if it's a priority for you

all I'm saying is that running one of the major distros is going to be easier because that's where the users are. that's where the project packagers and maintainers are. that's where the independent packagers are (for example it's extremely likely that someone will package kde 6 in an ubuntu ppa before it's shipped by debian or canonical). that's where the users who report problems are. it should be self-evident to anyone that that's where you're going to have the best/easiest experience. if you value these things over riced compiler options, that's where you should go

iawtp

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

kde would probably be fun if I had more free time to gently caress around with stuff, but gnome is a much more gentle transition from macOS all day at work

this is going to sound like an advertisement but: you can make kde function like macos with just a couple of clicks. just download a theme from control center and apply it

it's unlikely but i guess you might have to add a global menubar widget yourself if the theme doesn't come with one, but that's also extremely easy, just right click on the desktop and go to add widget

also you want to download plank for a dock probably, it's dead simple to set up and use ime. others that are good but more complex are docky and latte dock

i feel like you keep saying you're trying kde but are not actually doing that. all of these things are pretty easy and even easily discoverable, and we're talking about linux here ffs

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it’s surprising that they haven’t just come together and come up with standard binary containers. even just .exe and .dmg standins where the .exe standin is non-containerised and the .dmg standin is containerised would be huge

why are you so against new and exciting innovation from the dynamic linux software distribution ecosystem?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

this is going to sound like an advertisement but: you can make kde function like macos with just a couple of clicks. just download a theme from control center and apply it

it's unlikely but i guess you might have to add a global menubar widget yourself if the theme doesn't come with one, but that's also extremely easy, just right click on the desktop and go to add widget

also you want to download plank for a dock probably, it's dead simple to set up and use ime. others that are good but more complex are docky and latte dock

i feel like you keep saying you're trying kde but are not actually doing that. all of these things are pretty easy and even easily discoverable, and we're talking about linux here ffs

im not actually trying kde, or gnome

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

fart simpson posted:

you should

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

or you can just buy a mac and get a unix that works without all the bullshit. and with better hardware than you can get anywhere else

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
kde is great

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

well if you ever do,

mila kunis posted:

kde is great

gnome is not. simple as

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

akadajet posted:

or you can just buy a mac and get a unix that works without all the bullshit. and with better hardware than you can get anywhere else

yes, in general, don’t run Linux as a desktop unless you have no access to Macs. even the x64 container stuff runs well enough locally on M series that at this point, there’s little excuse. for anything that doesn’t, there’s servers. still, if you have x64 hardware you want to use Linux as it’s unequivocally less bad than windows

the worst thing about trying to recreate macOS - or really any os - one for one with themes, generally made by some shut-in tween called ~~**2dark4u**~~ is it will never feel right. it’s a fools errand to the uncanny valley. Mac and Windows themes are only ever going to lead you to the uncomfortable place of, “it kinda looks like it, except when it doesn’t, and nothing is where i expect it to be”. it’s a waste of time. let it be what it is.

the best thing to do is assess whatever OOB desktop fits you best, gnome, cinnamon, kde, xfce, whatever you want. there’s an Ubuntu spin for about everything (except cinnamon, just use Linux Mint which is also cool and good), and each of those have the largest communities for those DEs, so i will unashamedly recommend it to anyone starting out or not yet fully confident. gently caress the nerdlingers and ricers and their “noobuntu” nonsense. if you outgrow it later, and want to go deeper, cool.

shitface fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 29, 2024

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

you can have another meltdown now, beef. it’d be better for everyone if you didn’t, especially you, but you can.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shitface posted:

you can have another meltdown now, beef. it’d be better for everyone if you didn’t, especially you, but you can.

shut the gently caress up

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

shut the gently caress up

i hope you have some real friends around here because when you’re getting melty about linuxpionions you’ve got some serious mental poo poo going on

if anyone actually gives a gently caress about beeftweeter now would be a good time for an intervention. tia

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

i hope you have some real friends around here because when you’re getting melty about linuxpionions you’ve got some serious mental poo poo going on

if anyone actually gives a gently caress about beeftweeter now would be a good time for an intervention. tia

it’s just linux window managers op it doesn’t really matter or merit an intervention

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
linux is junk and you shouldnt use it if you dont have to

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

it’s just linux window managers op it doesn’t really matter or merit an intervention

when you get very, very mad about them to the point where you can’t reasonably state a case, only post insults or tell people they simply aren’t trying hard enough to like what you like, it seems like it does

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

beeftweeter has convinced me to use kde if i ever need to use desktop linux again

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shaggar posted:

linux is junk and you shouldnt use it if you dont have to

i had a hard time finding a laptop that ran linux without dogshit battery life so i stuck with macos there, maybe i'll try asahi at some point. but for my desktop i want to play video games and i dont want to use windows

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

beeftweeter has convinced me to use kde if i ever need to use desktop linux again

if kde seems cool to you then, great, fart. enjoy its many options and incredible Mac themes and, uh, maybe its nebulous ability to maybe or maybe not add something that may or may not resemble the mac global menu bar :) :awesome:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

if kde seems cool to you then, great, fart. enjoy its many options and incredible Mac themes and, uh, maybe its nebulous ability to maybe or maybe not add something that may or may not resemble the mac global menu bar :) :awesome:

cool is a stretch. it seems fine for what it is

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

cool is a stretch. it seems fine for what it is

whatever floats your boat :biglips:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mila kunis posted:

i had a hard time finding a laptop that ran linux without dogshit battery life so i stuck with macos there, maybe i'll try asahi at some point. but for my desktop i want to play video games and i dont want to use windows

just use windows you dweeb

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
but why. no need to use wsl when i can use the real thing. ive been able to game with no problems so far, proton's pretty good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your operating systems are supposed to be a piece of poo poo not your personalities

fuckin chill

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

isn't snap just the ubuntu not-invented-here reimplementation of flatpak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

rockchip is notorious for making garbage quality socs. it's probably why your wifi doesn't work

incidentally you might want to try openwrt: https://github.com/jayanta525/rk3308-rock-pi-s wifi will probably work there

i don't think there's an official port though. but you can use it as a general-purpose distro

Turns out this was pretty good advice. Now I am running OpenWrt on repurposed Aruba enterprise gear, and it's working great!

Thanks, Beeftweeter.