Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Well the cpu seems to work fine, so I'm thinking that's not the problem. But yeah I am open to other platforms, prefer idle power <5W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
rockchip is notorious for making garbage quality socs. it's probably why your wifi doesn't work

incidentally you might want to try openwrt: https://github.com/jayanta525/rk3308-rock-pi-s wifi will probably work there

i don't think there's an official port though. but you can use it as a general-purpose distro

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wifi is on a Realtek RTL8723DS, not the Rockchip.

I will look at that OpenWRT repo. I guess I need to build it? I was hoping for pre-built images, tho.

I also picked up a GL.inet GL-AR750. Seems to be a purpose-built OpenWRT platform, microSD card, 128 MB ram, a decent generic access point. I think these are NOS being liquidated for $16/ea. Downsides: no gigabit ethernet, and probably doesn't have the actual PoE transformer module installed.

(This is for a low usage, building automation project, not my primary home wifi. These are old, underpowered devices.)

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

I will look at that OpenWRT repo. I guess I need to build it? I was hoping for pre-built images, tho.

I also picked up a GL.inet GL-AR750. Seems to be a purpose-built OpenWRT platform, microSD card, 128 MB ram, a decent generic access point. I think these are NOS being liquidated for $16/ea. Downsides: no gigabit ethernet, and probably doesn't have the actual PoE transformer module installed.

(This is for a low usage, building automation project, not my primary home wifi. These are old, underpowered devices.)

huh. that's actually a pretty cool little device

but idk if i can justify buying a 802.11n device in 2024 lol. openwrt runs on an absolute fuckload of platforms though, it's actually a really good distro. i've compiled my own images before and it's not difficult. if you've ever compiled a linux kernel the build environment will be extremely familiar to you, but either way you can build the whole thing using not a terribly complicated menu system

it's pretty automated too, you could probably get by with changing just a few settings to set up the device and then using the defaults from there. but if you want to go way deeper it's also extremely customizable, so if you're into that it's really pretty neat

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m buying a new mobo and cpu and some ram and stuff to update my current system and use the old parts for a plex box and little nifty things to mess around with, and I think that I’m gonna give Linux a fair shake for gaming. I don’t want adverts on my OS, and win11 sounds like it’s bad? idk I’m still on 10

anyways, it is the year of the Linux for gaming

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
use clear linux. everyone using an intel platform should, it's ridiculously fast even on lovely core m3 hardware

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

use clear linux. everyone using an intel platform should, it's ridiculously fast even on lovely core m3 hardware

thank u, that was a question I was hoping to get answered :)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I think steam os is a Linux and it’s pretty good for gamesing

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

if you've ever compiled a linux kernel the build environment will be extremely familiar to you

as an occasional linux user, yes I am familiar with building the kernel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

excuse me, but doom was ported in 1994

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m buying a new mobo and cpu and some ram and stuff to update my current system and use the old parts for a plex box and little nifty things to mess around with, and I think that I’m gonna give Linux a fair shake for gaming. I don’t want adverts on my OS, and win11 sounds like it’s bad? idk I’m still on 10

gentoo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Bloody posted:

I think steam os is a Linux and it’s pretty good for gamesing

is that a steamOS-specific thing? i thought you could run proton on most popular distros

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i deleted my windows 11 and put kubuntu on instead and it feels serene and pleasant by comparison. thank you linux

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

git apologist posted:

i deleted my windows 11 and put kubuntu on instead and it feels serene and pleasant by comparison. thank you linux

your welcome

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So I guess the other way to go, besides a no-name SBC from Shenzhen, is to repurpose a cast-off enterprise AP from an site refresh, like one of these $20 Aruba AP-303 hotel room APs. Solid hardware, pass-through PoE for a camera, and OpenWRT support.

And building a wireless network out of re-flashed corporate e-waste is pretty cyberpunk, and should be taken into consideration.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

git apologist posted:

Same. The plasma desktop environment is so nice and customizable right 'out of the box'

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

the imminent death of windows 10 has my partner pretty excited about linux. she has the kind of adhd that has her up all night reading manuals and documentation on just about anything - she is immensely excited about KDE/Plasma and knows more about it than i do despite never having used it.

we almost had it on her new laptop but an ACPI bug meant no audio and also MS Office is doing too good a job of keeping linux at bay right now.

the ACPI bug affects windows too and there is no audio on a fresh install until you let windows update do its thing. lol.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

ryanrs posted:

glinet own. i have the GL-A1300 which i think has gigabit, but no PoE or microsd card. it's a "travel router" but it works great even when not traveling.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nobody Interesting posted:

the imminent death of windows 10 has my partner pretty excited about linux. she has the kind of adhd that has her up all night reading manuals and documentation on just about anything - she is immensely excited about KDE/Plasma and knows more about it than i do despite never having used it.

we almost had it on her new laptop but an ACPI bug meant no audio and also MS Office is doing too good a job of keeping linux at bay right now.

the ACPI bug affects windows too and there is no audio on a fresh install until you let windows update do its thing. lol.

is it a max98357a? that's used in a lot of chromebooks, and it has the same acpi problem. there's a script that enables audio (for chromebooks! i'm not sure if this will work on a regular pc) here https://github.com/WeirdTreeThing/chromebook-linux-audio

it says ubuntu isn't supported and clear isn't on their list, but i know it works on clear since i've run it on two different chromebooks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hbag posted:

is that a steamOS-specific thing? i thought you could run proton on most popular distros

no. proton on clear is several times faster than proton on steam os (on lovely hardware. on good hardware it's probably about the same, although there's still a benefit to running clear)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
*taps mic*

*clears throat*

macos is my favourite linux, though i also like windows subsystem for linux

i will not be taking questions

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

So I guess the other way to go, besides a no-name SBC from Shenzhen, is to repurpose a cast-off enterprise AP from an site refresh, like one of these $20 Aruba AP-303 hotel room APs. Solid hardware, pass-through PoE for a camera, and OpenWRT support.

And building a wireless network out of re-flashed corporate e-waste is pretty cyberpunk, and should be taken into consideration.

2x2 802.11ac eh

interesting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cold on a Cob posted:

*taps mic*

*clears throat*

wsl2 is really good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i think i'm going to install linux on this computer i just built

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

i think i'm going to install linux on this computer i just built

clear. clear *pounds table* ClEaR CLEAR CLEAR

(if it's intel. if it's amd don't bother, it'll work but hardware support is not great)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

actually i'm trying steamos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Beeftweeter posted:

clear. clear *pounds table* ClEaR CLEAR CLEAR

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just flash it to a sd card or usb stick or something, there's a live distro that's real easy to set up. it uses gnome though and you can't do persistent storage with e.g. rufus, so it's not really a great demonstration unless you actually like gnome

but you should see a — heh — clear difference in performance

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it's an amd cpu

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lot of lignux apologists here in the linux haters thread

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
benchmarks say there's still a (pretty huge) benefit to running clear on amd, but when i tried it on my ryzen 3500 laptop it didn't even boot, so idk. that's the only amd machine i have

i didn't really try to debug why either, i'm ok with leaving windows 10 on that

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

is it a max98357a? that's used in a lot of chromebooks, and it has the same acpi problem. there's a script that enables audio (for chromebooks! i'm not sure if this will work on a regular pc) here https://github.com/WeirdTreeThing/chromebook-linux-audio

it says ubuntu isn't supported and clear isn't on their list, but i know it works on clear since i've run it on two different chromebooks

it's an asus zenbook, but kernel 6.7 came out in the meantime and fixed the issue.

couldn't move her to linux in the middle of the semester, and i don't have a solution for ms office yet. she does a LOT of collab stuff in Teams or whatever.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cold on a Cob posted:

*taps mic*

*clears throat*

speaking of wsl when i click the "linux" section in my file explorer it seems to want me to enter credentials that i was never told

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

installing steam os and uhhh

it's probably fine

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

it's probably fine

actually kinda makes sense because steamos does some fuckery with the screen orientation on the steam deck, probably part of why there's no real installer for it yet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

speaking of wsl when i click the "linux" section in my file explorer it seems to want me to enter credentials that i was never told

you set the Linux credential up when you installed the distro

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

it's probably fine

those partition failures probably mean it won't work?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

yeah, it's the same u/p you use in the shell

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
you can't even say gaming on linux isn't a thing anymore, proton works seamlessly for like 90% of games and the remaining 10 is usually just a quick search on protondb to take care of. I had to boot into my windows drive for something the other day and oh my god I have no idea how the gently caress I dealt with startup times that loving long for so many years.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

no i didn't. it never asked me to. but anyway it turns out the install somehow hosed itself and it seems to think i don't have the wsl component enabled even though i very much do (as well as the virtual machine platform, hypervisor, and virtualization in my bios before anyone asks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody posted:

lot of lignux apologists here in the linux haters thread

this is the linux lovers thread. the linux haters thread is the microsoft thread. and the apple thread. and, surprisingly, the linux thread.