Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the ubuntu images for sure ask you to set credentials, and honestly i don't think it makes sense to use any other image for wsl.

you are no doubt correct that the install has gotten hosed up in some way though, ive gotten wsl2 vm's into that kind of broken states as well (messing about with things i shouldn't have).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i like how i manage to horribly break things by following the instructions to the letter. thanks microsoft

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

linux is real bad btw. one of the primary ways it is bad is that it is the most boring option. lot of technical details, lot of Very Serious Software, lots of drab and grey design.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

why are you people always telling me to do things until i actually do them, at which point you tell me doing it was the worst mistake of my life and that thing sucks actually

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

linux is real bad btw. one of the primary ways it is bad is that it is the most boring option. lot of technical details, lot of Very Serious Software, lots of drab and grey design.

and yet its the only one you can get wobbly windows on, curious

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hbag posted:

why are you people always telling me to do things until i actually do them, at which point you tell me doing it was the worst mistake of my life and that thing sucks actually

welcome to yospos, enjoy your stay

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

literal dogshit application. wsl is a joke

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

and yet its the only one you can get wobbly windows on, curious

if that kind of silliness was still the driver behind linux id be way happier with it, but this is more of a historic comment in 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

wsl is good except for when it isn't.

linux is always good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hbag posted:

literal dogshit application. wsl is a joke

just blow away the install with wsl.exe

its different from most windows command line programs in that it uses dashes for flags, like linux. windows usually uses slashes

so do wsl.exe --help

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

yospos bithc

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

just blow away the install with wsl.exe

its different from most windows command line programs in that it uses dashes for flags, like linux. windows usually uses slashes

so do wsl.exe --help

this was quite literally the very first thing i did. come on
anyway it seems like the problem is the LxssManager service doesnt exist. which is strange considering i have enabled the subsystem for linux and restarted my machine about fifteen times now

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

hbag posted:

this was quite literally the very first thing i did. come on
anyway it seems like the problem is the LxssManager service doesnt exist. which is strange considering i have enabled the subsystem for linux and restarted my machine about fifteen times now

microsoft are extremely dumb and do not know how to distribute software correctly.

you can actually install two entirely distinct versions of wsl! isn't that great? i don't mean being able to switch between wsl1 and wsl2, i mean you can have the Microsoft Store version installed alongside the...windows? version?

this is usually what kills lxss in my experience. i've never fixed it properly because i just reinstall windows whenever the smallest problem occurs.

only ever install wsl with wsl.exe --install is the moral of the story.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

actually the moral of the story is that linux is good

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nobody Interesting posted:

microsoft are extremely dumb and do not know how to distribute software correctly.

you can actually install two entirely distinct versions of wsl! isn't that great? i don't mean being able to switch between wsl1 and wsl2, i mean you can have the Microsoft Store version installed alongside the...windows? version?

this is usually what kills lxss in my experience. i've never fixed it properly because i just reinstall windows whenever the smallest problem occurs.

only ever install wsl with wsl.exe --install is the moral of the story.

funny that it broke after me only installing it with wsl.exe --install then

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

yeah it's ridiculous. wsl is the best thing microsoft have ever produced (alongside windows terminal, which honestly owns and i wish i could bring it to linux) but they are simultaneously unable to figure out how to distribute it in such a way that doesn't completely gently caress your system.

microsoft are the only company i can think of that consistently do the best things in the worst possible ways.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

also they still use hungarian notation which by itself is a crime

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

how loving dare they

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hbag posted:

funny that it broke after me only installing it with wsl.exe --install then

do you have ubuntu (or debian, or any of the distros) installed from the windows store? iirc that installs a completely separate wsl from the system one, but all of the components are named the same so it gets hosed up pretty easily

plus updating wsl via wsl.exe doesn't update the windows store version. so you can have two conflicting wsl installs with different versions of the hypervisor lol

you can clean all that poo poo up manually but just reinstall windows imo

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

just reinstall windows imo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im not going to reinstall windows because backing up all the poo poo i dont want to Delete Forever will take more time and be a greater pain in the rear end than just uninstalling it manually

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah gently caress that install clear linux with kde and just make it look like windows if you want. i've been using a windows 2000 theme for a while now and it's great

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am in favor of this as long as beeftweeter and hbag agree to do three comprehensive tech support via dm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the imminent death of windows 10

wat lol

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

install arch, actually

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

EOL next october. yes i know it doesn't really matter. yes i know LTSC w/ massgrave activation is a thing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i posted this in the microsoft thread lol

Beeftweeter posted:

well all of you pining for Old Windows But Modern are in luck, this aurorae theme i found is a loving dead on ringer for win98. seriously, it's flawless

https://store.kde.org/p/2113542/

since its kde you can, of course, use a widget that is more like whichever start menu version you prefer. then just use wine for your games

the theme really is very good. i use it with a win7-ish start menu

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kde themes can and will nuke your disk lol

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

the theme really is very good

oh gently caress

i hope it plays well with plasma 6. i used eXPose for a little bit and i enjoyed how it was styled like XP but not exactly a clone.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

???

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

oh gently caress

i hope it plays well with plasma 6

yeah idk. i haven't upgraded yet, i should probably get on that

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

do you still need a really specific kind of cpu to run windows 11 or what because if so lol & also lmao at microsoft thinking people are going to upgrade

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

hbag posted:

do you still need a really specific kind of cpu to run windows 11 or what because if so lol & also lmao at microsoft thinking people are going to upgrade

officially, yes. if you don't have the right generation of CPU, TPM 2.0, and Secure Boot enabled, you cannot install win 11.

without some registry tweaks: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

the marketing fluff is "you might not get updates and your system might run like poo poo if you do this", the reality is probably that neither of those things are true. but also they could be. who knows?

e: lol the same page states that using dism to install an image also skips the check

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

what does this mean

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the thread title is pretty misleading imo

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

the wifi problems are spot on tho

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

install arch, actually

I ended up using Manjaro for this machine, my first serious foray into linux, and I'm seriously considering starting fresh with arch at this point tbh. Shouldn't be too bad to get everything I actually use set back up, but leaner

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I ended up using Manjaro for this machine, my first serious foray into linux, and I'm seriously considering starting fresh with arch at this point tbh. Shouldn't be too bad to get everything I actually use set back up, but leaner

i recommend it. Manjaro is dangerous because they mix repos, so you have a weird crossing of stuff from the real Arch repos + whatever Manjaro does. then there's the scummy poo poo they do like DDoSing the AUR by 'accident' and forgetting to renew SSL certs and telling their users to just change their computer's clock to get around it.

you can build something better with just arch

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

officially, yes. if you don't have the right generation of CPU, TPM 2.0, and Secure Boot enabled, you cannot install win 11.

without some registry tweaks: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

the marketing fluff is "you might not get updates and your system might run like poo poo if you do this", the reality is probably that neither of those things are true. but also they could be. who knows?

e: lol the same page states that using dism to install an image also skips the check

well my ryzen 5 2600 is still serving me perfectly well so i dont think ill be installing windows 11 for a good while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I was looking into putting Linux on a laptop that is slightly too old to run win 11. but all the results about running a good Linux on it was like opening a portal back to 2010 or something

“well, it has a dual gpu so you’ll need bumblebee. but that doesn’t work sometimes, so the battery life blows”

“great hardware support. to-do: make sleep, webcam, Bluetooth, WiFi, and audio work”

Linux never changes :cheers: