Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kingcobweb posted:

I think you're dead on, and I'll elaborate a couple things
  • LeBron needs to acknowledge he's not 27 any more, and he can't run every possession in the first half while also playing ~40 minutes including good defense. Especially in Denver's altitude, last playoffs and this one he's exhausted himself to the point where he looks like he can barely stand at the end of games. He's gotta get Reaves and DLo to run more PNR in the first half to give himself just a little bit of a breather. The Murray shot took away from the fact that LeBron actually played out of his mind at the end of the game
  • sorry if this is too Lakers twitter or r/Lakers of a take, but it really is a fact that they stop running good offense and go into ISOball the closer the game gets to the end. I dunno if this is individual players freelancing, the coaching staff genuinely thinking it's a good idea, or fatigue, but it clearly clearly clearly falls flat to Denver's defense, who locks down late in games. They don't seem to have a go-to play that can get Davis the ball in one of his spots through AG and Jokic's ball denial. It's not exactly true that they're not trying- they are, Denver is doing a good job denying- but that shouldn't be unsolvable to the point that AD doesn't make a shot after early in the 3rd quarter. Denver never runs into the issue that they can't get the ball in Jokic's hands at the end of games, the Lakers should be able to get it to AD.

You're completely right and if it was r/lakers they would say it could all be solved with another timeout or playing [whichever 10th or 11th man didn't play today].

It's really hard to tell why exactly the Lakers flatten their offense at some point in most games. My theory is that the heavy ISO ball actually works out well for them in most matchups when they go to it, to the point where they probably have some numbers that say it's their best play, but fail to recognize that this just doesn't produce against teams like Denver/Sacramento/Pre-Harden-Trade Clippers, that have the right players and scheme to at the very least make it take 15 seconds to get into their offense, which is generally enough to stop the Lakers from getting enough possessions to win even if they are scoring in those plays. Also, the plays they turn the ball over the most on (frequently unforced) are on attempts to run stuff for AD, which I think scares them off of it even when effective; LeBron is their best catch and shoot three point player and attracts a lot of on-ball defensive attention, so they generally don't want him to be the one making the entry pass, which leaves their best entry passer as D'Angelo Russell, which are some tough words to type.

But in the end it's probably a combo of fatigue/coaching that I'm not sure is very easy to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

toggle posted:

Why would you ever want to be an nba ref?

look good in vertical stripes?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
hey does OKC still do a christian prayer before home games?

toggle posted:

Why would you ever want to be an nba ref?

when lawyers really wanna be cops

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Judeo-Christian*

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Ammanas posted:

They did this season. Not sure if they are for playoff games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Os Furoris posted:

They did this season. Not sure if they are for playoff games.

They do it for every game

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
thank you for confirming, much appreciation

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Well it’s not like taxpayers are funding the OKC stadium or anything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
So the sixers were wronged and yet here i am smiling. What a wonderful world.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Nuggets beating the Lakers a bunch is great after they spent my entire life being joy thieves whenever the Nuggets had a good or even just a fun squad. trying not to get the ducks all in a row but being up 2-0 feels good

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Rick posted:

You're completely right and if it was r/lakers they would say it could all be solved with another timeout or playing [whichever 10th or 11th man didn't play today].

It's really hard to tell why exactly the Lakers flatten their offense at some point in most games. My theory is that the heavy ISO ball actually works out well for them in most matchups when they go to it, to the point where they probably have some numbers that say it's their best play, but fail to recognize that this just doesn't produce against teams like Denver/Sacramento/Pre-Harden-Trade Clippers, that have the right players and scheme to at the very least make it take 15 seconds to get into their offense, which is generally enough to stop the Lakers from getting enough possessions to win even if they are scoring in those plays. Also, the plays they turn the ball over the most on (frequently unforced) are on attempts to run stuff for AD, which I think scares them off of it even when effective; LeBron is their best catch and shoot three point player and attracts a lot of on-ball defensive attention, so they generally don't want him to be the one making the entry pass, which leaves their best entry passer as D'Angelo Russell, which are some tough words to type.

But in the end it's probably a combo of fatigue/coaching that I'm not sure is very easy to fix.

Enough of the guys who watch film are complaining about the plays thing that I think it is a real thing

https://x.com/tim_nba/status/1782738258633318714

https://x.com/tim_nba/status/1782617199686906123

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Papercut posted:

I ask a similar question at my 2nd grader's soccer games every weekend. Some people are just built different.

I reffed soccer games from 12-17 and it was an incredible gig at that age, you basically got what would be a week’s worth of minimum wage at some mall job for a Sunday of jogging around and getting a tan. Totally worth the blue moon headache of some psycho following you to your shitbox Civic

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

kingcobweb posted:

Proposal: make the coaches all so bad that the players invent anarcho-syndicalism to deal with them.

“A baller free from the guilt of coaches and the burden of acquiescing to old men will grow up with the will to do what needs doing and the capacity for joy in doing it. It is useless plays that darkens the heart. The delight of the quick floppy, of the pick and pop, of the successful oop, of the good floater, of the skilful screen and roll, of anyone doing needed hooping and doing it well, - this durable joy is perhaps the deepest source of human affection and of sociality as a whole.”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
“The balling class and the hooping class have nothing in common.”

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://x.com/mollysm62661288/status/1782760115868704822

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

We need to be able to make images thread titles

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/CynicalNYK/status/1782796522628767979

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The "Remap" podcast (some of the former hosts from the Waypoint website, which was Vice games, aka one of the three parts of Vice that wasn't 100% awful) has two hosts that are Chicago sports fans and while they have a stand alone podcast about that they occasionally dip into it on the main feed. They're realistic about how bad the teams are most of the time but then have these wild bouts of optimism that can be very jarring. It was very sad to hear hosts who I like and wish good stuff for--on a podcast recorded last Thursday--talk about purchasing tickets for the Bulls/Celtics series, that would be all tied up, and speculating how sweet it would be for a Boston team to once again suffer at the hands of a lowly Chicago team.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

that's not the context they were doing it in but i guess engagement is engagement

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I kind of wonder what the sixers are gonna blame for their next loss.

They should call Doc and really brainstorm a good one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

kingcobweb posted:

I think you're dead on, and I'll elaborate a couple things
  • LeBron needs to acknowledge he's not 27 any more, and he can't run every possession in the first half while also playing ~40 minutes including good defense. Especially in Denver's altitude, last playoffs and this one he's exhausted himself to the point where he looks like he can barely stand at the end of games. He's gotta get Reaves and DLo to run more PNR in the first half to give himself just a little bit of a breather. The Murray shot took away from the fact that LeBron actually played out of his mind at the end of the game
  • sorry if this is too Lakers twitter or r/Lakers of a take, but it really is a fact that they stop running good offense and go into ISOball the closer the game gets to the end. I dunno if this is individual players freelancing, the coaching staff genuinely thinking it's a good idea, or fatigue, but it clearly clearly clearly falls flat to Denver's defense, who locks down late in games. They don't seem to have a go-to play that can get Davis the ball in one of his spots through AG and Jokic's ball denial. It's not exactly true that they're not trying- they are, Denver is doing a good job denying- but that shouldn't be unsolvable to the point that AD doesn't make a shot after early in the 3rd quarter. Denver never runs into the issue that they can't get the ball in Jokic's hands at the end of games, the Lakers should be able to get it to AD.

i think the bigger problem is defensive. nuggets have something like a 190 offensive rating in clutch time against the lakers. which basically means they score a basket literally every possession

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

been hearing this a lot

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Some of this is swapping cause and effect. You go to ISO heavy offense when your more planned/motion offense isn't working and getting sniffed out. This is more likely to happen near the end of the game when refs aren't blowing the whistle the same, players and playing tighter D, and your opponent has seen a lot of your actions.

I don't think its coaching or even particularly unique to the Lakers. I do think the lakers are missing the kind of ISO playmaking beyond Lebron that you want though, so it probably looks/feels worse.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Rick posted:

The "Remap" podcast (some of the former hosts from the Waypoint website, which was Vice games, aka one of the three parts of Vice that wasn't 100% awful) has two hosts that are Chicago sports fans and while they have a stand alone podcast about that they occasionally dip into it on the main feed. They're realistic about how bad the teams are most of the time but then have these wild bouts of optimism that can be very jarring. It was very sad to hear hosts who I like and wish good stuff for--on a podcast recorded last Thursday--talk about purchasing tickets for the Bulls/Celtics series, that would be all tied up, and speculating how sweet it would be for a Boston team to once again suffer at the hands of a lowly Chicago team.

Yeah the amount of hope they get anytime the bears win a game is genuinely sad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://x.com/NBAPR/status/1782910446015500796

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Embiid’s eye doesn’t work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXNuo3H7yw

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I know it makes sense because Maxey made the tougher leap from #3 guy / low tier star to all star

But Coby White got robbed

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

fart simpson posted:

i think the bigger problem is defensive. nuggets have something like a 190 offensive rating in clutch time against the lakers. which basically means they score a basket literally every possession

I think this is about 50% Nuggets having the best crunch time offense ever seen, 50% AD and LeBron tiring themselves out every single game, and 10% Nuggets getting super lucky like with Murray's game winner. Adds up to over 100% because stats are for nerds, not basketball.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kingcobweb posted:

I think this is about 50% Nuggets having the best crunch time offense ever seen, 50% AD and LeBron tiring themselves out every single game, and 10% Nuggets getting super lucky like with Murray's game winner. Adds up to over 100% because stats are for nerds, not basketball.

yeah ad and lebron are the only physically imposing enough players on the roster to really run the defense against the nuggets imo. and theyre also the guys that need to do most of the offense. and theyre not 25 anymore so they cant do both for the entire game.

and like, last night, the lakers offense wasnt really the problem. they scored a few baskets near the end of the game, the problem was that they literally could not stop the nuggets basically at all. no teams winning anything with a 190 defensive rating

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
What the gently caress Kawhi out of nowhere?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Red Rox posted:

What the gently caress Kawhi out of nowhere?

Kawhi is a cryptid or some kind of Cthulhu entity that phases in and out of reality - hard to predict when he will be available

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Bucks officially first team to lose a home game

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
why are the suns so bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Bucks officially first team to lose a home game

they broke the curse. now the bucks are allowed to lose road games too

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Seams posted:

why are the suns so bad

In some fairness the whole wolves thing is making teams look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

In some fairness the whole wolves thing is making teams look bad.