Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

fart simpson posted:

i think the bigger problem is defensive. nuggets have something like a 190 offensive rating in clutch time against the lakers. which basically means they score a basket literally every possession

That's definitely a major problem too. Part of the turnaround for the Lakers this year is just accept the defense was bad and trying to win a shootout every night. It kept them in the playoffs but, well,

Like Pop Dog says the Lakers defense is basically Anthony Davis trying to cover for 3-4 matadors all night long. Their defense (overall, I haven't looked to see what it's like against the Nuggets but I'm guessing not good) is a bit better when Dinwiddie is on the floor instead of Russell/Reaves but their offense falls off a cliff because he stopped shooting. Vincent looks to be the same story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I like to think Rudy and Jalen read this and decided to go off tonight as if to say “hell yeah we are”

Jalen McDaniels had 2 less points than Ant and KAT combined. The entire starting lineup hit double figures and KAT was the lowest with 12. If they keep playing like that they’re gonna win it all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

heres an advanced stat: game 1 celtics was the first time in nba playoff history that literally every player on a team hit a 3 pointer

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
whether the stats agree with me or not, every single one of the suns turnovers leading to like 25 points were devin booker's fault.

only caught the last five-odd minutes of Bucks-Pacers but I saw this sequence:
- Bucks inbound to Bobby Portis, two Pacers apply full-court pressure
- Bobby spins in circles in their own loving key until the shot clock gets down to 16 seconds and there is no one to take a pass
- Bucks call a timeout
- Bucks go to inbound the ball
- Bucks get a 5-second violation and turn it over

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Some of this is swapping cause and effect. You go to ISO heavy offense when your more planned/motion offense isn't working and getting sniffed out. This is more likely to happen near the end of the game when refs aren't blowing the whistle the same, players and playing tighter D, and your opponent has seen a lot of your actions.

I don't think its coaching or even particularly unique to the Lakers. I do think the lakers are missing the kind of ISO playmaking beyond Lebron that you want though, so it probably looks/feels worse.

The Pels also have this problem when Zion isn't running the clutch time offense. And it's not something where he or LeBron would really have to drive and exert a lot of energy if other guys would set off-ball screens for each other and cut. LeBron and Zion both draw enough defensive attention that they create space for the rest of the team just by standing at the 3pt line, even if they aren't going to shoot.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Lakers fans are still furious that they lost KCP and Caruso and they’re absolutely right to be. Two of the perfect players to have on that roster.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Seams posted:

why are the suns so bad

Bad roster construction and they’re soft. All you have to do is pressure Booker and the whole thing comes apart.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol at that mavs defense

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wrong thread

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Gafford? Dead. Tim Hardaway Jr.? Dead.

Mavs? Got the dub.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

kingcobweb posted:

Lakers fans are still furious that they lost KCP and Caruso and they’re absolutely right to be. Two of the perfect players to have on that roster.

Also traded Zubac for nothing

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So many sub 100 scores going up this round.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So many sub 100 scores going up this round.

defense wins first round playoff series

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: eh bad joke

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DC Murderverse posted:

I like to think Rudy and Jalen read this and decided to go off tonight as if to say “hell yeah we are”

Jalen McDaniels had 2 less points than Ant and KAT combined. The entire starting lineup hit double figures and KAT was the lowest with 12. If they keep playing like that they’re gonna win it all.

They're facing Denver next round. That is really going to be good stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Intruder posted:

e: eh bad joke

*doris burke voice* he missed a chippy

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

GoutPatrol posted:

That should be the conference final it’s crazy

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah that’ll be a great series

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Suns are so cooked man. What a weird and unpleasant to watch season this ended up being. Vogel is for sure gone, wouldn’t be surprised if they try to move Durant too. Just unwatchable slop ball

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
As the great scholar himself once said, foul smelling, evil, disgusting, dog-rear end basketball.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
the pacers won a playoff game

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Suns are so cooked man. What a weird and unpleasant to watch season this ended up being. Vogel is for sure gone, wouldn’t be surprised if they try to move Durant too. Just unwatchable slop ball

An offseason to get some bench pieces and maybe have some clarity on what their offense should look like would do the Suns a world of good. I don't know why you'd try to move Durant, Booker is a hot/cold guy and Durant is frequently the only other reliable offense. Figure out how to get the ball to Beal in better spots to get him comfortable and find some bench/secondary offense that's not a Nurkic post up and this team gets a lot better.

Like, they were definitely a disappointment but I also see a ton of room to improve,

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Lockback posted:

An offseason to get some bench pieces and maybe have some clarity on what their offense should look like would do the Suns a world of good. I don't know why you'd try to move Durant, Booker is a hot/cold guy and Durant is frequently the only other reliable offense. Figure out how to get the ball to Beal in better spots to get him comfortable and find some bench/secondary offense that's not a Nurkic post up and this team gets a lot better.

Like, they were definitely a disappointment but I also see a ton of room to improve,

I’d be lying if I said I knew how the money stuff works but with them being in the second apron I was under the impression they can’t do much to change the roster around.

I’m not saying that I would move off Durant, just that it wouldn’t shock me if they try

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’d be lying if I said I knew how the money stuff works but with them being in the second apron I was under the impression they can’t do much to change the roster around.

I’m not saying that I would move off Durant, just that it wouldn’t shock me if they try

They won't have a ton of options but there will be some minimum/cheap guys out there who will absolutely be a step up from what they have now. The Suns depth is dire, it doesn't take much to massively improve it.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If you watched last night’s game and still think Luka is bad at defense, lol.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump posted:

If you watched last night’s game and still think Luka is bad at defense, lol.

i would maybe pump the brakes on drawing any larger conclusions from luka having front row seats to the crypto.com arena bricklayers convention

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
All we need from the suns is a 40 point blowout in an elimination game and their season will be complete

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

He had some nice blocks and generally stayed in front of his man and contested shots. It’s one game but to my eye he looked quite good defensively.

E: re: Luka

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Ayton should get courtside seats to game 4 imo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lol

https://twitter.com/nba_paint/status/1782762554009231576

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

slave to my cravings posted:

Thats the only way he's ever going to see playoff basketball again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

slave to my cravings posted:

lol

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

This is pure art and everything good about Basketball

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Still laughing that Zach Lowe got on his podcast after the Ayton trade and declared Nassir Little a piece

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He had some nice blocks and generally stayed in front of his man and contested shots. It’s one game but to my eye he looked quite good defensively.

E: re: Luka

Yeah, PG, Kawhi, and Harden all took cracks at him one-on-one and mostly got tough mid-range looks and contested pull up 3s out of it. Which great players will sometimes hit anyway, of course, but from the defender's perspective, it's all you can really ask for.

He still has too many lapses and will never move well enough laterally to be a defensive anchor or anything, but I do think he's had a little bit of a lightbulb moment this year in terms of just recognizing he's big and strong and there's value in being a big strong guy in the other guy's way. The lapses and inconsistency are still too much for me to be like "Luka secret good defender confirmed" or anything, but he is capable of competitive defense and he's doing it more often these days.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
lmao

https://twitter.com/NekiasNBA/status/1783177526753337778