Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Papercut posted:

lmao if you actually put your hand over your heart for the national anthem

No argument there.

WhyteRyce posted:

killer username/post combo

Thanks! I try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

tbf I also extremely mock and don't do this poo poo.

And even by the most charitable interpretation, it just means OKC is twice as bad about this poo poo as all the other teams

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

R.D. Mangles posted:

when Rodman did it, the other guys deserved it IMO

and the camera man?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

I hate the performativism and the fact half the people testifying at a game like our national dipshit Don Cherry couldn't be bothered to support The Flag and Veterans when they weren't of use.

I don't know if the States has anyone like that who like wrapped themselves up in the flag but when it came to wounded veterans or substandard military housing was like "lol gently caress off"

If you want a further look, see "Dear Coaches Corner"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Isentropy posted:

I hate the performativism and the fact half the people testifying at a game like our national dipshit Don Cherry couldn't be bothered to support The Flag and Veterans when they weren't of use.

He records with Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane and this is how you talk about him???

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dexo posted:

I went to my first football game in a while recently (USFL nee XFL) and was surprised how many people bothered. You have a chair. You can sit down. Nobody cares if your hat is on. Who are you showing off for

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

kingcobweb posted:

He records with Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane and this is how you talk about him???

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Today I learned about a really cool Don Cherry, thank you

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Holeee poo poo.

https://theathletic.com/5450064/2024/04/26/nba-broadcasting-rights-amazon-prime-video/?source=fbhq

In what will be a landmark move in sports media history, the NBA and Amazon Prime Video have the framework of a deal that will make the streaming service one of the main homes for the league’s games, executives with direct knowledge of the talks told The Athletic.

It is expected that Prime Video’s package will include significant regular season and postseason games, perhaps even some conference finals. The anticipation is that the final contract will be for at least a decade and begin the 2025-2026 season.

ESPN/ABC, as the website Puck reported Thursday, also has a framework of a deal with the expectations that an agreement will be completed. ESPN/ABC are expected to keep the Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract is also expected to be at least a decade in length.

All of the details are not finalized yet, but all sides are under the expectations they will get done. The NBA, Amazon and ESPN all declined to comment.

The NBA prefers to have three companies involved in its new deals, but has not ruled out adding a fourth.

The NBA is finishing up nine-year deals that pay it $2.6 billion on average from ESPN and TNT Sports. Those contracts end after the 2024-2025 season.

The advancement in the Amazon and ESPN talks leaves incumbent Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns network TNT Sports, to face off with NBC, owned by Comcast, for the likely last package of games. Warner Bros. Discovery has the right to match deals, but NBC could try to structure an agreement in a way that makes it difficult.

While there is still work to be completed for the final arrangements, the current packages are going to be pruned slightly to create the third partner. In one arrangement, ESPN will cut down from around 100 games to around 80, according to executives briefed on the talks.

A natural landing spot for Amazon’s regular-season games could be Thursday night, where it already has the NFL from September to early January. The NBA, in recent years, has moved its games off Thursday during the time period to not go head-to-head with the NFL. It is expected to then have significant playoff inventory. Amazon has shown interest in global rights, which has been a key part of the NBA’s negotiating strategy as it lined all of its domestic and international deals to end following the 2024-2025 season.

The NBA has made it clear that it wanted to define itself for the next frontier of viewing with streaming at the forefront.

With ESPN, Amazon and the NBA all under the impression that they will complete deals, this puts the onus on TNT Sports, which has had the NBA since 1984. It is in a fight with NBC, which was the lead partner of the NBA before losing its rights in 2002. NBC, with its streaming service, Peacock, wants back in and is competing with Warner Bros. Discovery Sports for a deal.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
If TNT loses the NBA, seems likely Amazon would try to poach their broadcast team ASAP. Amazon has done such a good job with the NFL, I actually don't hate this.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
i'm really hoping the NBC gets the NBA back strictly from a nostalgia standpoint.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, just like the NFL deal with ESPN (where Monday Night got de-emphasized, but ESPN had to pay a LOT more because it was the only thing left), TNT and Peacock/NBC now know it's either/or, so they better bring their big boy wallets.

(to be fair, there's a chance the NBA could create a FOURTH package)

You have to think it's going to be a HUGE bump in the salary cap, especially as Amazon could go for GLOBAL rights.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

I think last year's/this year's TWolves is a good case study of a team that looked pretty bad improving almost entirely due to gaining more chemistry together.

Flip side is the Kings where Monte said run it back and they came back worse

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Add as many partners as you want, just please let me go to one site/app to watch all the games tia

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I would bet that NBA League Pass would migrate to Amazon servers..

And maybe AEW's Tony Khan would license roundball rock back to NBC if they do get the rights.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 26, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bulls and Sox are reportedly moving to something called "Stadium" next year and killing NBC Sports Chicago.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bulls and Sox are reportedly moving to something called "Stadium" next year and killing NBC Sports Chicago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_(sports_network)

p

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That sounds pretty terrible. Compulsory amazon prime to be an NBA fan sucks.

Also, the potential of switching from TNT to NBC is really bad. NBC coverage was pretty awful, it's just easy to forget because ESPN is the all time worst.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rick posted:

Also, the potential of switching from TNT to NBC is really bad. NBC coverage was pretty awful, it's just easy to forget because ESPN is the all time worst.

i was a kid/teen last time it was on but was it really? i just remember marv albert calling great games and roundball rock

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
They don't have the rights to Roundball Rock.

Tony Khan (of All Elite Wrestling) now has the rights.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NBA on NBC loving ruled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOkNZ4Yzto

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ok yeah it's exactly as awesome as i remember it let's goooo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

aBagorn posted:

i was a kid/teen last time it was on but was it really? i just remember marv albert calling great games and roundball rock

It was all a bunch of Olympic style storylines shoved into everything and away from Marv Albert the commentary was pretty bad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If Bezos were to do one good thing in the world, it's to buy the NBA on TNT crew, the rights to round ball rock, strand lefkoe in the desert, and hold the perfect NBA broadcast.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So is league pass dying or is it being rolled into amazon?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

fox's college basketball coverage uses roundball rock

but that's regular season college basketball

toggle posted:

it sounds like this has nothing to do with league pass

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

At least Amazon streams its NFL games to freakin Twitch, a lovely but more watchable format than the Blackout Hell that is current NBA viewing

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Talking about League Pass, does anyone know why you can't use Airplay to stream League Pass from your phone to a smart TV? No matter what I try, the TV screen stays black. I do get sound though. Tried all the fixes Apple support recommends. Nothing works.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Its no different than compulsory ESPN/TNT subscription, except for those there's not a way to get it without a bunch of other cable crap. I just pirate stream those most of the time now, same option will exist for Amazon.

toggle posted:

This isn't all of the NBA on Amazon, it's just another location for national games like TNT/ESPN/ABC do.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lockback posted:

Its no different than compulsory ESPN/TNT subscription, except for those there's not a way to get it without a bunch of other cable crap. I just pirate stream those most of the time now, same option will exist for Amazon.

you can still watch TNT games on NBA League Pass with alternate camera angles that are superior to the main broadcast

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

Talking about League Pass, does anyone know why you can't use Airplay to stream League Pass from your phone to a smart TV? No matter what I try, the TV screen stays black. I do get sound though. Tried all the fixes Apple support recommends. Nothing works.

I used chromecast and that works but is sometimes buggy. I think it’s just that LP is technically garbage

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

why would you bold the whole thing

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

canadians don't do their anthem?

Fair, a different nayshon

Isentropy posted:

I don't know if the States has anyone like that who like wrapped themselves up in the flag but when it came to wounded veterans or substandard military housing was like "lol gently caress off"

If you want a further look, see "Dear Coaches Corner"

I mean we had GWB and Dick Cheney. who were sending soldiers to Iraq without body armor and having to patrol enemy territory in thin skinned humvees. There were tons of fundraisers to buy body armor and stuff like ceramic plates, other stuff for up armoring trucks. Of course they also started that war for no reason and dissolved the Iraqi military providing their own ready made opposition for the occupation. Remember that whole shock and awe deal? It was basically just made for destroying iraqi infrastructure, essentially every non republican guard general had been paid off to make sure his troops were not in the fight.

But back to basquetball

News:
After flaming out at the university of Michigan, Juwan Howard is joining the Nets as an assistant coach.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 26, 2024

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Giggs posted:

why would you bold the whole thing

because I didn't feel like hunting for the quote tab, and that's the article?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wcgoldberg/status/1783925037965201451

spo put this kid in the torture rack to get him to finally see the way

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Tyler Deuterragonist

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

This isn't all of the NBA on Amazon, it's just another location for national games like TNT/ESPN/ABC do.

It’s expensive to add something else there. And if NBC gets it what are the odds they don’t put games on peacock and then require you to pay for that?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

kingcobweb posted:

Tyler Deuterragonist

lol

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Holy poo poo a dozen angles of Russ mauling someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

lmao if you actually put your hand over your heart for the national anthem

I've had a random chud yell at me for leaving my hat on and looking at my phone during the anthem lol