Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

anakha posted:

For all we know, it could be Kyrie with the carry job in that series. Not sure how much carrying Luka can do on that knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
It’s hard to repeat.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Mavs win literally any series it’s because Luka carried them.Thats how being the best player on the team works

Well see how much of the SGA whistle he's gotten all season matters in a closer series

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Papercut posted:

Imo Jamal Murray should try playing well

He's definitely playing hurt.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Mavs win literally any series it’s because Luka carried them.Thats how being the best player on the team works

And if they lose, blame Jason Kidd

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Okay, it took me a while to come around on Ant, but I think he’s a very talented young player with upside potential.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

In their defense, Ant is almost as good as Dion Waiters thinks he is.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If we’re posting old stuff.

https://x.com/rbillsimmonspod/status/1786957666314596836?s=46

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Please don't remind me that there is a podcast about a subreddit about a podcast about basketball.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Im not going to listen to that podcast clip, but to defend Simmons, in Jan of 2021 the wolves didn’t have Gobert and Finch wasn’t their coach. Ant is incredible but the Wolves are an entirely different team as well.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I personally would be honored to get a JR Smith comp

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/nikebasketball/status/1787150579115905287

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bogos binted?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

E: wrong thread

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Doltos posted:

I personally would be honored to get a JR Smith comp

He loving rules. ANT talks hypothetically about how he could have played all those different sports and JR Smith literally went back to school and became a golfer.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Im not going to listen to that podcast clip, but to defend Simmons, in Jan of 2021 the wolves didn’t have Gobert and Finch wasn’t their coach. Ant is incredible but the Wolves are an entirely different team as well.

No its more fun to crush him for takes that went sour in retrospect.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People listen to him for bad takes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

temple posted:

People listen to him for bad takes.

This made me realize I've never ever seen or heard anyone reference him in regards to a perceptive insight or good prediction

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Still time for round 2 predictions!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058634&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post539314431

temple
Jul 29, 2006

indigi posted:

This made me realize I've never ever seen or heard anyone reference him in regards to a perceptive insight or good prediction
He had one good take this century and it ironically contradicts the ant prediction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ke61FRra9k

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Those weren't predictions, the comparison to Coby White/Dion Waiters was after Ant's rookie year. There definitely was good reason to be skeptical Ant would be what he is now, but everyone who watched him his rookie year saw tons of potential and it was pretty clear he wasn't some big bust. Ant came in a solid 2nd in RotY voting, it was pretty well understood the guy could ball.

Simmons was pushing his weird thing against the Wolves for not interviewing him for a GM job 15+ years ago.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lockback posted:

Those weren't predictions, the comparison to Coby White/Dion Waiters was after Ant's rookie year. There definitely was good reason to be skeptical Ant would be what he is now, but everyone who watched him his rookie year saw tons of potential and it was pretty clear he wasn't some big bust. Ant came in a solid 2nd in RotY voting, it was pretty well understood the guy could ball.

Simmons was pushing his weird thing against the Wolves for not interviewing him for a GM job 15+ years ago.

He goes further and says the wolves gm should've been fired for not taking wiseman.
https://twitter.com/rBillSimmonsPod/status/1787072202640163042

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Rooting for the Wolves to win it all, so we can get a Gobert press conference where he simply yells, OVERRATED MY rear end! before spraying himself with champagne.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lockback posted:

big bust? where

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ant was cool as hell from day 1

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

temple posted:

He had one good take this century and it ironically contradicts the ant prediction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ke61FRra9k

He also called Odom and arguably for the right reason and we all thought it was dumbs as poo poo at the time, myself included

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Simmons also insisted the Heat were still the biggest threat to the Celtics in the middle of last season despite their meh record

temple
Jul 29, 2006

big boi posted:

Simmons also insisted the Heat were still the biggest threat to the Celtics in the middle of last season despite their meh record

Ime's penis was the biggest threat to the celtics last season

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Simmons is more offensive because it feels like he earnestly believes his bad takes instead of being clickbait like all other talking heads

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fart simpson posted:

big bust? where

quote:

but none of these players’ careers represent a desirable outcome for a no. 1 pick. Nobody on Edwards’s list has ever made an All-Star team.
One further item to note: In The Ringer’s NBA Draft Guide last year, Kevin O’Connor pegged Waiters as one of Edwards’s top comps. The early stats bear out that unfortunate impression, too.

That was written AFTER his rookie year, and while they don't use the B word "Non-desirable outcome for the no 1 pick" is calling him a bust, especially if you say his comps are all guys who never even made an all-star game.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Doltos posted:

Simmons is more offensive because it feels like he earnestly believes his bad takes instead of being clickbait like all other talking heads

On top of that, for somebody who actually cares, he doesn't seem to work or know poo poo about poo poo anymore so it's doubly annoying.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doltos posted:

Yeah Simmons seems to have bought into his own bullshit and hype as some basketball savant with a narrative eye and believes if he has an idea it drat well is right

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
We all know that NBA players take a few years to come into their own, and this is year four for Ant. There’s good reason to be excited. But also some of y’all are crowning him because he had a big night in a game that was actually won by the other guys on his team playing really good defense.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

rjmccall posted:

We all know that NBA players take a few years to come into their own, and this is year four for Ant. There’s good reason to be excited. But also some of y’all are crowning him because he had a big night in a game that was actually won by the other guys on his team playing really good defense.

He also played really good defense...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

rjmccall posted:

Ant was really good last year and improved this year, and is averaging 33/7.8/5.6 on 53%/43%/86% shooting in the playoffs so far. I guess you could criticize it's only 5 games but that's only because he hasn't lost yet.

This is his 2nd playoffs in a row where he average over 30pts on 60%+ TS.

He's really good and it's not a fluke thing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mean Baby posted:

He also played really good defense...

Yeah there is literally no reason to be tut-tutting people who are gassed up about ant right now. He is super good, cool, and fun.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah there is literally no reason to be tut-tutting people who are gassed up about ant right now. He is super good, cool, and fun.

oh so Being A Hater isn't a good enough reason anymore? this isn't the NBA i thought it was smh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

oh so Being A Hater isn't a good enough reason anymore? this isn't the NBA i thought it was smh

Crotch chops makes you immune to mid-level hating like that,

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I was turbo wrong about Ant coming out.
His Georgia tape was so inconsistent and like he'd have games where he just completely checked out. I didn't trust him as a prospect.

Turns out, he just did not give a poo poo about college basketball, outside of that one game he got real mad against like Michigan State and went supernova.

He's been good for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

Turns out, he just did not give a poo poo about college basketball,

He's just like me fr