Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Can we just get an OG, Randle, Brunson series vs the Celtics and see what loving happens?

Randle turns back into a pumpkin, Brunson averages 38ppg but Knicks lose because he can’t win a series by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

fart simpson posted:

im still laughing about that defense today. intentionally not guarding jaylen brown, daring him to score, so he gets 19 points in the first quarter? it's probably the weirdest defensive game plan ive ever seen in the nba

what about

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I may never see the Washington Wizards win another game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah that was worse, i had forgotten

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Very much enjoyed shai deciding in the 4th this shitshow is over then proceeding to make every shot

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

They were making sure he couldn’t do his deadly backstep three

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Metapod posted:

Very much enjoyed shai deciding in the 4th this shitshow is over then proceeding to make every shot

Yeah I was really hoping the suns could bank a big enough lead to withstand it when he came back in. Just not good enough.

Suns might be the 10 seed by the time booker is back. Rough watch lately

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lmao first thing that came to mind for me

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I was looking at the 2013 all nba teams, as one does, and was reminded that David Lee of all people was 3rd team all NBA that year. And not for dumb reasons, the guy was 18th in win shares, and the 5th best forward by win shares that year, so he at least deserved it on paper.

Which got to me thinking, what would David lee be in today's NBA? An undersized center who was merely an ok defender? He was considered a great offensive player at the time, and shot a ton of midrange shots so he probably would have adjusted his range to shoot 3s if he came up in a different era, but what would he be if he was in today's NBA? Tobias Harris? Harrison Barnes?

And mind you, this is the 5th best forward in the league we are talking about.

Which got me thinking, people keep talking about offense and how its out of control, and keep talking about shooting and 3 pointers being the culprit, but like... what if NBA players are just too good today? What if the quality of nba player today is so high that it is not reasonable to expect to scheme defensively for them in a way that would make scoring even comparable to what it was 10 years ago?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2024

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
David Lee would pretty much just be a bad version of Sengun/Domas/kanter and would be pretty hard to play unless he developed a reliable 3. Even then he’d be hunted in the playoffs.

You just can’t be a bad 3point shooter in today’s league unless you are an elite rim defender + lob threat.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

I was looking at the 2013 all nba teams, as one does, and was reminded that David Lee of all people was 3rd team all NBA that year. And not for dumb reasons, the guy was 18th in win shares, and the 5th best forward by win shares that year, so he at least deserved it on paper.

Which got to me thinking, what would David lee be in today's NBA? An undersized center who was merely an ok defender? He was considered a great offensive player at the time, and shot a ton of midrange shots so he probably would have adjusted his range to shoot 3s if he came up in a different era, but what would he be if he was in today's NBA? Tobias Harris? Harrison Barnes?

And mind you, this is the 5th best forward in the league we are talking about.

Which got me thinking, people keep talking about offense and how its out of control, and keep talking about shooting and 3 pointers being the culprit, but like... what if NBA players are just too good today? What if the quality of nba player today is so high that it is not reasonable to expect to scheme defensively for them in a way that would make scoring even comparable to like with what it was 10 years ago?

The question that's impossible to know is if he could have trained himself to shoot threes instead of long twos if he was in today's NBA. Before looking up his stats I was like "well he must have shot a few, even Barkley shot threes sometimes" and the man was 1/29 from three for his career. Even David Robinson was 25/100 (and no it wasn't during the shortened line years). If he could have been moved out to shoot threes, he'd be useful, if he couldn't, nah

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

david lee would probably be an undersized offense first center, so like idk montrezl harrell?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Fun David Lee fact is it took him getting injured for Draymond to get his first real minutes which is what unlocked the recipe for Peak Warriors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Declan MacManus posted:

david lee would probably be an undersized offense first center, so like idk montrezl harrell?

David Lee was not really a hustle guy, or at least not as his primary thing.

In today's NBA he'd definitely would have stretched out to the 3pt line and then he'd be a undersized center/PF with handles and a drive game so maybe like smaller Naz Reid or like defensively-deficient Tobias Harris. Julius Randle who needs to hit the gyym? PJ Washington or like Jabari Smith Jr are maybe not super far off that archetype, maybe.

That kind of player is definitely gone from the NBA, but I think there are a few who maybe aren't too far off.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

edit beaten. (David Lee got replaced by Draymond and the team got way better)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Same, but the Lakers "arms behind the back" defense on Harden.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Papes posted:

David Lee would pretty much just be a bad version of Sengun/Domas/kanter

I'm chuckling at this and trying to think of other things to fit into this format. Jalen Green would pretty much just be a bad version of Jordan/Wade/Waiters

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
this is what a 76% FT shooter looked like in 1950

https://i.imgur.com/nKGKq18.mp4

if you ever wonder what basketball would look like if nobody dribbled ever here's some footage

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

dokmo posted:

this is what a 76% FT shooter looked like in 1950

https://i.imgur.com/nKGKq18.mp4

if you ever wonder what basketball would look like if nobody dribbled ever here's some footage

What the gently caress

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

there used to be a youtube channel called something like wiltatkansas or something like that, it had a bunch of great old archival footage (nba probably nuked it into oblivion) but in addition between learning basketball from red auerbach and watching aba dunk contests i also watched a lot of footage from the 50s-70s and even just comparing games at the beginning and the end of each decade the development is wild

but you'd also notice the same thing trying to watch a game from the long ago halcyon days of 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yrjchNg7Fk

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

OzFactor posted:

I'm chuckling at this and trying to think of other things to fit into this format. Jalen Green would pretty much just be a bad version of Jordan/Wade/Waiters

Heh, didn’t mean to imply those guys were on the same level at all. The reality is David Lee would be even worse than kanter!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

david lee's defense was suspect even back then, i think he'd be steve novak/ryan anderson levels of unplayable now

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Oh hey a new thread for no reason

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

big boi posted:

Remember how annoyed the hockey mod would get if a monthly thread stayed open even a day too late? He’d kind of meekly start asking no one in particular when the new thread would be open like a step-dad who’s been told he can’t discipline his wife’s kids. And then we wouldn’t see him again for another month lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

big boi posted:

The circle of power to protect against Grayson Allen started to fade.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

I may never see the Washington Wizards win another game

Yeah but you get the joy of watching Jordan Poole

Other note: is Harden washed or is he just in a bad system for him/spacing issues/coaching* or whatever

*I don't know enough about ball to really spot these things but I've gathered that either a player is bad or it's one or more of those reasons or possibly all of them in addition to being bad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Other note: is Harden washed or is he just in a bad system for him/spacing issues/coaching* or whatever

*I don't know enough about ball to really spot these things but I've gathered that either a player is bad or it's one or more of those reasons or possibly all of them in addition to being bad

He’s not scoring 30+ a night anymore but he’s still putting up 17/5/8 on the most efficient shooting of his career. He’s still very good

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I love seeing what the NBA decides to fine people for flops and what they just choose to ignore.

https://x.com/NBAOfficial/status/1764727544299782175?s=20

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

soggybagel posted:

I love seeing what the NBA decides to fine people for flops and what they just choose to ignore.

https://x.com/NBAOfficial/status/1764727544299782175?s=20

Just another little reminder that Draymond pretended to get hit in the face and subsequently laid on the ground for almost a full minute and was never fined.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think it’s more that he’s 34 and no longer a team’s first, second, or only scoring option.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The Maestro posted:

Just another little reminder that Draymond pretended to get hit in the face and subsequently laid on the ground for almost a full minute and was never fined.

It looks like Theis got the offensive foul call he was flopping for, so maybe the refs are more likely to fine if they fall for it.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

He’s not scoring 30+ a night anymore but he’s still putting up 17/5/8 on the most efficient shooting of his career. He’s still very good

No poo poo, i guess that's what I get for reading Twitter

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

snyprmag posted:

It looks like Theis got the offensive foul call he was flopping for, so maybe the refs are more likely to fine if they fall for it.

Wolves played like poo poo and didn't deserve to win. But it is funny that they lost by 1 point.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Rick posted:

The circle of power to protect against Grayson Allen started to fade.

:hmmyes:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Another reason to be a Denver rather than Detroit fan

According to James Edwards III, on his latest podcast, Mike Muscala actually was fine with staying in Detroit but because Monty (aka Troy) told him that he likely wouldn’t play in favor of James Wiseman, they offered Muscala a buyout so he can go to another very young team in OKC that actually has a chance to make noise this year.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Speaking of podcasts, Tim Legler has a four-days-per-week podcast with Adam Mares called All NBA, and I really liked the episode I listened to. They watch games and talk about the games, if you can believe it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

not sure i believe that. every time ive tried listening to any of those espn type sports guys they clearly aren’t actually watching the games

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Legler is a decent enough analyst, I don’t agree with everything he says but it could be worse.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

big boi posted:

Speaking of podcasts, Tim Legler has a four-days-per-week podcast with Adam Mares called All NBA, and I really liked the episode I listened to. They watch games and talk about the games, if you can believe it.

Yeah it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tim Legler rocks.

Like Rick said don't always agree with him, but generally respect his opinions.