Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Yea having a work journal is really useful. If your boss is going into battle with the other bosses to get a promotion for you, you need to arm your boss with all the good poo poo you did based on your own initiative, collaborating with adjacent departments and organizations to synergize blah blah blah but it does actually matter so put some effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
real question for the WFH peeps.

Have any of you felt the heat from tech layoffs yet? I'm curious about if AI blah blah blah is really affecting the knowledge workers yet.

Also, is knowledge worker the actual title some people go by? Seen it popping up in articles lately.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
knowledge wanker

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

Have any of you felt the heat from tech layoffs yet? I'm curious about if AI blah blah blah is really affecting the knowledge workers yet.

Europe here, but I think it's the same in all developed western countries:

No, the number of IT/tech stuff jobs has actually increased and the sector is still at full employment and demographic changes are working in favor of employees and will continue to do so for the next 20 years or so.

Current AI/LLMs are cool toys and productivity tools but a wrench is not a plumber. Maybe in a couple years though, who knows

quote:

Also, is knowledge worker the actual title some people go by? Seen it popping up in articles lately.

I think "computer weirdo" is the politically correct term nowadays

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Rad-daddio posted:

yeah, my company's CEO just announced at a town hall that he's looking to replace all of the call center people with a generative AI

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

Then the HR lich laughs and says “you think these incantations give you power? Lol. Lmao. No. You forgot about Relative Contribution. Vp Timmy’s nephew did a bang up job on the department web site and is going to get the nod for senior director, not you. Loooooooooool!”

then they swipe their fingers quickly in front of you, iOS windows you will never see opening and closing as you are terminated

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm always a little paranoid about tech layoffs. I'm old and cynical as poo poo.

It doesn't matter that I remain the sole point of knowledge for certain critical paths, I don't see myself as indispensable. Whatever I know, others can figure out. "correctly" and "in a reasonable timeframe" are the company's concerns for those replacements, not mine.

The biggest aspect I've "cultivated" in my career is to always be improv'ing. Always say "yes, and..." to any new task or responsibility even if you're not going to be compensated for it. Just don't work outside your 40 per week.

Oh, the boss asked you to do more than you can do without working overtime? And they didn't ask if you have the available bandwidth? That's the company's problem, not yours.

The second part feeds into what Bad Purchase said: performance doesn't matter. You're going to be seen more as "OMG, Cheesus does so much! He's so valuable!" before you hear "Cheesus isn't able to get these everything done well/correctly!"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SonOfGhostDad posted:

yeah, my company's CEO just announced at a town hall that he's looking to replace all of the call center people with a generative AI

Feels like a dumb move to announce it before you do it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Better question how do I get a WFH job I have a degree in computer crap

If i dont it's over for me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

I have not.

If I have seen one trend in tech, it's get on board with CUI classifications. I've been dealing with this topic multiple times in the past few years and it seems to be exploding.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Thanks for the answers. It's nice to hear from actual people in the field and not news BS.

I look at AI stuff like 3D printing; it's a valuable but overhyped tool that while useful, didn't really lead to the manufacturing paradigm shift that everyone said it would.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

knowledge wanker

also lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rad-daddio posted:

It will be hard to tell what AI is doing to tech workers because they were already over hired during COVID for a bunch of stupid reasons and are getting laid off just to get budgets back to normal.

fresh_cheese posted:

Then the HR lich laughs and says “you think these incantations give you power? Lol. Lmao. No. You forgot about Relative Contribution. Vp Timmy’s nephew did a bang up job on the department web site and is going to get the nod for senior director, not you. Loooooooooool!”
Good, I'm glad. I wouldn't wish a director position on anyone I like or think can produce valuable outputs.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I see a lot of stories about layoffs in various markets due to AI but even as a person who likes AI, I don't see it being good enough to do the jobs of the people that it claims to replace. I can see some niche ones like drive-thru ordering but for things like programming, customer service and various other professional and semi-professional roles, I suspect that the current tools are only a partial solution. I bet there are some managers and CEO's doing mass layoffs and replacing the people with AI but I bet they're going to have to rehire at least 70% of the staff they let go because of the shortcomings of the current AI models.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh they are using AI to replace humans already, our invoicing mailbox for vendors is AI run.

It's a poo poo show and a lot of my day is spent chasing stuff the AI missed. We just discovered we didn't send any 1099s out to vendors this year bc the AI replaced the department that did it lolllllll

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh they are using AI to replace humans already, our invoicing mailbox for vendors is AI run.

It's a poo poo show and a lot of my day is spent chasing stuff the AI missed. We just discovered we didn't send any 1099s out to vendors this year bc the AI replaced the department that did it lolllllll

Does the AI do a good enough job given what it was trained to do?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The WFH promotion is 24/7 monitoring NVDA stock

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
i got laid off twice and decided to be an indie developer instead and am poor but happy doing contract work. hope this helps OP

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

I have not.

If I have seen one trend in tech, it's get on board with CUI classifications. I've been dealing with this topic multiple times in the past few years and it seems to be exploding.

the freaking lunatics at work have started portion marking emails with (U) plus headers and footers, manually instead of with an outlook plugin, and made us take training telling us all to start explicitly marking every email as unclassified that we make on our regular rear end unclassified exchange server. like yeah, no poo poo. it’s insanity, and thankfully almost nobody is participating. the workers are united in unspoken civil disobedience.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jerk off on Teams meeting to establish dominance and prove you're not gay

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i took a hybrid position for a significant raise. i dont expect the survive the in office training period. three years work from home... im going to miss my dogs.

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 4, 2024

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rad-daddio posted:

Nothing directly with AI. There is a lot of hype, companies seem to want to pivot to AI, but they don't really have a plan as to what that actually means other than wanting to be first.

There was a ton of buyouts and hiring before and during COVID, then interest rates went up so the stupid fun money dried up. Unfortunately CEOs realized firing a bunch of people makes the stock price go up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Raise a squadron of likeminded WFHeros to murder your boss and take their assets, like time of old. Pillage their feeble "office" and move on to the next "job."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Raise a squadron of likeminded WFHeros to murder your boss and take their assets, like time of old. Pillage their feeble "office" and move on to the next "job."
Times of old? Vulture capitalists wreck companies every year.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Even a poor man can feel like a wealthy man after a hot cup of kratom tea

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Even a poor man can feel like a wealthy man after a hot cup of kratom tea

is 🅾️🅱️ on the beans

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tarkus posted:

Does the AI do a good enough job given what it was trained to do?

No, it misses the majority of invoices which is why so much of my day is following up on missed payments. It's a piece of poo poo that doesn't work but you bet we're all being forced to 'make it work', which is multiple humans having to come behind and clean up its mess.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rad-daddio posted:

I am an elder millenial, I've been getting laid off and rehired and shuffled since the early 2000s and it's fine. AI is another tool for the toolbox and isn't going to replace devs any time soon. To that point- I got booted from a senior dev position last year when our parent company failed to secure a contract in a way that had absolutely nothing to do with our team, but hey 10% workforce reduction is what it says in the manual and I was one of the higher-earning non managers (and also a woman and queer but that had nothing to do with it natch) so out I went. My new place brought me on at a big salary bump to wrangle a team of Filipino contractors who had been sitting in an absolute clusterfuck of mismanagement and indecision. They are nice, chill dudes who get paid disgustingly little and I empathize enormously with them going "Yeah boss sure boss" to white corporate middle-american managers and then putting in absolutely minimal effort but when I came in, every single one was literally just transcribing problems to chatGPT, going "Give me a Javascript function to do (X)," and then copy-pasting that poo poo into our code base. It was making everything ten times harder than it needed to be both because the code output was never the optimal way to do a thing, and also because they had no idea what they were doing functionally, and the people asking them had no idea except "It needs to be a button that sends a form" etc. I've spent a lot of the last year educating them about pull requests and review systems, building E2E and unit test infrastructure, weeding all that generated code out of our repos, and teaching the drat PMs how to do their loving jobs. I'm happy with the team and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the company, and I'm sure I'll be cut loose again just as soon as the economy turns, and I don't really worry about it anymore.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Skipping all pages to say sucking and loving op

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Used to be you got to sleep with your boss to get ahead. With WFH now it’s all sexts and nudes and who wants that. The ladder’s been yanked and we’re the Lost Generation.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
let your higher-ups know that they can use my apartment for their extra-marital affairs. You might want to remove the anime posters beforehand though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fighting Elegy posted:

let your higher-ups know that they can use my apartment for their extra-marital affairs. You might want to remove the anime posters beforehand though.

I for one will never remove my anime posters- if Misato can't know their sins, they're not good enough for my house :colbert:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Getting promoted internally died in the 90s. These days, you change companies every 2-3 years and move up the corporate ladder that way.

I don't remember exact numbers but you make way more doing that than sticking with one company. Companies typically hire externally rather than promote anyway.

Nepotism is another path, but that one is up to luck more than anything.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 5, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

zedprime posted:

Times of old? Vulture capitalists wreck companies every year.

Not old style if you're not rampaging through the office on horseback

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just got promoted to a corner office by taking over the guest room in my house

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm both the boss and my own secretary so I'm banging myself as a side piece. I'm also a narcissist so I'm only cheating on myself, and a girl's gotta get a promotion somehow. I'm a little scared tho, I told myself that if I let me know that I've been cheating on me then I will ruin my life and make sure I never work for me again.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Bible posted:

Getting promoted internally died in the 90s. These days, you change companies every 2-3 years and move up the corporate ladder that way.

I don't remember exact numbers but you make way more doing that than sticking with one company. Companies typically hire externally rather than promote anyway.

yep. Everyone says you should keep up your network and move around every few years.

I did the exact opposite; I found a small chill place that paid well and stayed there for 24 years.

Now, I'm in negotiations to buy the whole outfit.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

The Bible posted:

Kinda weird how that that also happened with relationships

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rad-daddio posted:

yep. Everyone says you should keep up your network and move around every few years.

I did the exact opposite; I found a small chill place that paid well and stayed there for 24 years.

Now, I'm in negotiations to buy the whole outfit.

Definitely the exception here. I guess sticking with a small company could pay off a lot better, as the people around you are still human and see you as a human.

Suits don't have souls, though. Big corporations will use you up and pay you as little as possible before discarding you.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm both the boss and my own secretary so I'm banging myself as a side piece. I'm also a narcissist so I'm only cheating on myself, and a girl's gotta get a promotion somehow. I'm a little scared tho, I told myself that if I let me know that I've been cheating on me then I will ruin my life and make sure I never work for me again.

It's just as tough where I work because I keep spreading gossip about myself about how I only got into my position by loving myself constantly and now my own reflection won't make eye contact with me anymore and it's scaring the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023
You do just enough to make yourself look good, but do the bare minimum you possibly can.