Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Getting promoted internally died in the 90s. These days, you change companies every 2-3 years and move up the corporate ladder that way.

I don't remember exact numbers but you make way more doing that than sticking with one company. Companies typically hire externally rather than promote anyway.

Nepotism is another path, but that one is up to luck more than anything.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rad-daddio posted:

yep. Everyone says you should keep up your network and move around every few years.

I did the exact opposite; I found a small chill place that paid well and stayed there for 24 years.

Now, I'm in negotiations to buy the whole outfit.

Definitely the exception here. I guess sticking with a small company could pay off a lot better, as the people around you are still human and see you as a human.

Suits don't have souls, though. Big corporations will use you up and pay you as little as possible before discarding you.