Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If you are trying to get promoted into a higher technical position: turn on your camera in meetings, try to start and end every first work call of the day with a little small talk, try to get to know people and talk about yourself, take on projects and responsibilities that will regularly get you into online meetings with management where you can build familiarity, if there are social events, always go/fly there, take charge in meetings when no one else wants to, being competent at your job and deliver on projects and propose solutions to problems in meetings so other people will speak positively about you can also help

If you are trying to get into a pure management position: lol, I have no idea. Try to build an online friendship with someone in upper management? Marry someone's son/daughter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wendigee posted:

Ughh don't be the guy that wants to small talk during the daily standup I got poo poo to do I don't care what your 30 year old daughters weekend was like

*notes "wendigee not leadership material, do NOT promote" and circles it three times and underlines it*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

real question for the WFH peeps.

Have any of you felt the heat from tech layoffs yet? I'm curious about if AI blah blah blah is really affecting the knowledge workers yet.

Europe here, but I think it's the same in all developed western countries:

No, the number of IT/tech stuff jobs has actually increased and the sector is still at full employment and demographic changes are working in favor of employees and will continue to do so for the next 20 years or so.

Current AI/LLMs are cool toys and productivity tools but a wrench is not a plumber. Maybe in a couple years though, who knows

quote:

Also, is knowledge worker the actual title some people go by? Seen it popping up in articles lately.

I think "computer weirdo" is the politically correct term nowadays