Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
From what my executive management has told me: you dont, op.

It kinda depends on your definition of “promotion” tho

If you just want a cooler title and more money for doing the same thing that could be possible if your boss wants to keep you around and is willing to fight for you a little bit to justify it.

If you want more responsibility and a broader scope then that means the consequences to the company of you loving up or loving off are a lot higher. if your bosses bosses boss has only ever seen you in webex and nobody else they know has ever seen you in person either that can be an issue.

Its not only about “can jane do the job?” Its also about “can we trust jane to overlook the bullshit coming from XXXX without flipping out and making it worse” and “is jane sufficiently chained to our collective fate that she wont just gently caress off as soon as someone offers her :10bux: more per year?”

In computer nerd terms: its not a No because of the functional requirements of the promoted job.
Its a No because of the non-functional requirements of the promoted job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
The only reliable answer that always works is “use your current job to get a better job”

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

You dont get promoted because you do what you are already doing very very well. You get to keep your current job because you do what you are doing very very well, maybe with a cost of living adjustment and profit sharing if youre lucky.

You do get promoted because of vibes, as mentioned before, plus the company has to actually want you to do more. If there is not funding for a new senior/executive whatever, and there is not an open job that needs doing at that level, it would be really really weird for a company to promote somebody to do a job it does not need done.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Ah yea also this was said before too but again: do not ever present a problem to management and ask them to solve it for you.

Present a problem to management along with several possible solutions ranked by cost and effectiveness. The goal being to get them to point to a solution youve already identified and say “do that one.”

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Next webex meeting bring the laptop and your biggest fart into the shower. Unmute, drop trou, spread your cheeks and fart against the wall of the shower.

Whether the camera is on/off is up to you.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

You start a steamer company and leave steamers on the hoods of cars

After word of mouth gets out bout the quality of your work youll have to start hiring on people to leave enough steamers but thatll be the hard part - expanding the business without compromising quality

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

dee eight posted:

30 years and no promotions, just better or worse lateral moves

there was a forming line operator that got offered a foreman position and said lol no gently caress you it took me 20 years to get into the cozy spot and i am not leaving it

Yea op like what does “advance your career “ even mean?

Get paid more to do the same poo poo you already do? Do different poo poo entirely and also paid more? Be a boss? Be a bosses boss? Be the old grump that knows how poo poo works but doesnt give a rats rear end anymore?

Some of those options only become possible when youve been there 20 years and everyone else who knew how to do that left or died.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

The Management posted:

Powerful name/post combo

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Then the HR lich laughs and says “you think these incantations give you power? Lol. Lmao. No. You forgot about Relative Contribution. Vp Timmy’s nephew did a bang up job on the department web site and is going to get the nod for senior director, not you. Loooooooooool!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Yea having a work journal is really useful. If your boss is going into battle with the other bosses to get a promotion for you, you need to arm your boss with all the good poo poo you did based on your own initiative, collaborating with adjacent departments and organizations to synergize blah blah blah but it does actually matter so put some effort into it.