Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As long as I'm getting the same salary, benefits and still full-time WFH, I give no shits about advancement. I'm also an old.

I've been doing WFH from well before the pandemic and I'll admit I occasionally looked for an in-person environment. That all changed when I had a kid. It's hard for me to fathom how I could effectively be a single parent with all of the work rising a kid entails without the flexibility of WFH. After he's legally an adult I may change my mind, but for now, 100% WFH is my killer benefit and I'll put up with a lot to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm good at my job and don't spend my time posting 300 threads a day op
Obvious skill issue.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

fresh_cheese posted:

Its not only about “can jane do the job?” Its also about “can we trust jane to overlook the bullshit coming from XXXX without flipping out and making it worse” and “is jane sufficiently chained to our collective fate that she wont just gently caress off as soon as someone offers her :10bux: more per year?”
Are you posting from the year 2000?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Justin Credible posted:

This right here, people pay tens of thousands of dollars to have career advice that isn't as good as this, and this is succinct.
Seconded.

This is incredible not only for advancement but successfully navigating the corporate world.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
"meticulously document" triggered something that I find easier to do when WFH: Log what you do.

It doesn't need to be "meticulous" but broad strokes journaling of what you did organized daily. One line bullet items such as:
  • A ticket link and status ("Completed"/"Worked on"/etc)
  • "Helped so-and-so with this task"
  • "Did that other task"
If you ask me what I did last week without my log, I will draw a blank. With my log, I can look at those shorthands and fill in details.

I've never done this in my thirty year career until four years ago. I was always extraordinarily lucky with having good management who recognized what I did. And then I didn't. I pre-emptively started doing it because of that. It was a bit of a struggle at first, but the first time I was called out and being able to immediately cite "No, actually what happened was..."

It also absolutely killer for end of year review processes that begin with "employee starts the draft".

It seems like it can translate to supporting cases for advancement as well.

I don't share what I do with my employer because it's not of their business. As for making it work, in my WFH workflow, I have three monitors connected to my personal laptop. I RDP two of those for my work laptop and leave the third visible for personal apps like OneNote for doing my logging. I'm not sure how I'd do it if I were in the office to maintain that same separation except use my phone or an actual notepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I'm always a little paranoid about tech layoffs. I'm old and cynical as poo poo.

It doesn't matter that I remain the sole point of knowledge for certain critical paths, I don't see myself as indispensable. Whatever I know, others can figure out. "correctly" and "in a reasonable timeframe" are the company's concerns for those replacements, not mine.

The biggest aspect I've "cultivated" in my career is to always be improv'ing. Always say "yes, and..." to any new task or responsibility even if you're not going to be compensated for it. Just don't work outside your 40 per week.

Oh, the boss asked you to do more than you can do without working overtime? And they didn't ask if you have the available bandwidth? That's the company's problem, not yours.

The second part feeds into what Bad Purchase said: performance doesn't matter. You're going to be seen more as "OMG, Cheesus does so much! He's so valuable!" before you hear "Cheesus isn't able to get these everything done well/correctly!"