Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Suppose it’s only fitting that your turtle style crushed a TMNT knockoff. Also I guess I should have expected the love interest would be named Adrian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Update 5: The Power of Love and Violence

When last we left Survivor we did a lot of running around to find flowers for Adrian, got to hang out with Roy, and also fought a ninja crocodile. You know, a normal day in Punch Club world. This time, it’s only going to be one more day before our leg is healed, and then it’s time to train our asses off.

Well, after we take a breather with Roy. See, Roy will spar with us, go to the bar with us, and even train with us. But in order to do that, we have to hang out with him and help him fix his car.

Once Roy says this, that means that we’ve spent enough time with him to ask a request of him. But we still need to help him with his car, so let's go do that.

“Fixing the Car” uses the same animation as the sledgehammer training in the gym, and takes energy, happiness, and food. Though at a slow rate. Once we’ve assisted Roy enough with the car, he’ll say that.

Normally I’d immediately ask for the help training, but on a whim, I decide to see if Roy wants to go to the bar.

Survivor: So, Roy. What about going to the bar?

Roy: Alright, let’s do it, fella! (This is his generic response for sparring and going to the bar)

We get this weird trippy cutscene where beer cans and bottles float across the screen, waving around.

And then we get plopped back home with the results of our trip to the bar. In this case, we apparently bumped into a drunken master who taught us some crazy moves.

(It says 5 Skill Points but it actually gave me 10.)

Going to the bar is generally good for happiness, and will sometimes get you money or skill points from bumping into martial artists or winning bets. But the results are random. Sometimes you’ll lose a bunch of food and happiness by getting sick for example.

Anyway, since we’re now flush with skill points it’s time to see what we can pick up. We’ve unlocked the Turtle Skilltree now, so there’s plenty to look at. I end up getting Headbutt (which despite the name uses the same punching animation as most attacks)

And Suicidal Attack

Weird that the defensive skill tree starts with an ability that sharply cuts your defense huh? That said these two skills are great for early game Turtle players. Headbutt is one of the first attacks to efficiently turn strength into damage without ripping out of stamina, and Suicidal Attack will greatly ease our energy woes. It’s worth mentioning that Suicidal Attack is a strike modifier, so we have to equip it in battle, and we can take it off if we want.

Thankfully visiting the bar doesn’t actually burn Roy’s willingness to help us train with us, but that pesky broken leg is still bothering us so I chill for a little longer.

Survivor: Hey, it would be great to train with a strong partner like you.

Roy: Let’s meet at Silver’s Gym. Don’t be late bro!

(I keep forgetting to show the progress page I’m sorry)

Now we could head out and meet Roy, but first let’s deliver those flowers.

Survivor: This should be enough flowers for Adrian. (I think he’s supposed to be talking to himself.)

Adrian: Thank you so much! That’s really great! I guess my brother was right about you.

Survivor: Oh yeah, you think so?

Adrian: Yeah… we should hang out more.

Not the most riveting love story, but the status effect is great! I don’t know how much it reduces food and energy costs, but it’s a pretty big effect. Now we’re ready, it’s time for a training montage!

While training with the help of Roy, he’ll run over and shout encouragement at us like “Don’t stop!” and “Do it, fella!” which increases the efficiency of our training. That, plus the In Love effect reducing the cost of training, we’re going to be here for a long time.

By the end of the montage, we’ve gained a point of strength, a point of stamina, and part of a point of agility. Not a bad haul. We could probably get something from the vending machine and keep going, but we’ve got a fight scheduled for today.

Kick Sloan is technically way better at Turtle-style stuff than we are. From left to right he has Paw Punch (a powerful punch that takes a lot of energy) Powerful Uppercut (A powerful uppercut that reduces the enemy’s stamina on hit) Exhauster (his attacks deal a little stamina damage on hit) and Iron Curtain (An upgraded block that costs more energy) He’s also got the same trait Bill had, which reduces damage based on stamina.

Slight problem Sloan, you have 2 strength, and all of your offense is heavily strength-based. Your “powerful uppercut” does a measly 4 damage for 3 stamina. Also, this is one of the first instances of the AI crosstraining. The Powerful Uppercut is a Bear-style move, which as you might notice is horribly inefficient when used by a turtle-style tank.

Anyway, I think you can already see where this is going. I hope you guys don’t mind me skipping over the fights like this but, since I can’t influence them there’s nothing to really talk about. I’m just watching the fight happen.

In Round 3 Sloan actually has a surprise for us, switching his skills to Paw Punch, Skip Attack, and Hard Block (reflects damage back at us) This is actually a pretty brilliant play and one that I was rightfully worried about

It didn’t end up mattering, but he did rough us up on the way down.

I’m not sure at what point it starts happening, but we do start getting money from these fights at a certain point I think it’s when we’re halfway up the bracket.

We’ve got enough skill points for another skill, and I end up taking Additional Skill from the Basic Skills. We’re going to want extra skill slots as we get more and more abilities. If nothing else this will make room for Suicidal Attack

Since we’re in the area, I pony up the 20 dollars we just won for a spar with Silver, a proper spar. Statistically, we’re a lot weaker than him, but he’s using all the most basic skills so…

I’m surprised he survived to be honest. That’s 3 more skill points for us

This is the end result of that day of training. Looks pretty good doesn’t it? Although we’re sadly going to lose some of it due to stat decay.

We go to work just long enough to get paid.

Then go home to eat and sleep. But before the day ends we have some business to attend to. And revenge to take.

Hello Jared. I don’t remember the names of all his moves but I know their effects. He has an upgraded kick, an upgraded high kick, and a low kick that slightly lowers agility and stamina. A strike modifier that weakens blocks, and an energy-efficient dodge.

We’re going to try and starve him out, same as last time. But Headbutt reduces his chance to dodge, and we’ve got Suicidal Attack to lower our energy costs.

Coming out of round 1 it’s still anyone’s game. We’ve taken more damage, but he’s lost more stamina. If he really nailed us in this round he could beat us, but if we can starve him out we win.

It looked bad for a minute. His energy-efficient dodge doesn’t take any energy, so when Survivor went on the attack it looked like we were wasting time and energy swinging. But we managed to starve him out and get a knockdown. It’s not over yet, but in our favor for sure.

Going into round 3 he swapped to his energy-efficient skillset, but it was already too late for him. We did it. We took our revenge on Jared!

Sweet victory.

I recorded this a week ago now, and I’m not 100% sure why I decided to do this. But I sent Survivor to work 3 straight shifts at the construction site. That is 1 and a half in-game days.

Either I wanted the money so we could put some gym equipment in our room, or I did it because I wanted to get in a street fight (if you have $200 or so, someone may try to mug you. It's different from Tyler's street fights.) Either way, we did 3 shifts and got $150 with the power of love. Normally Survivor can’t finish 3 shifts in one go, so the power of love really helped him here.

It's already time for our next match, and it’s against Roy! No hard feelings I hope

Roy is using Bear-style moves, namely the upgraded punch and high punch, plus the basic lowkick and block. He also has Demoralize, which reduces incoming damage by 20%. The player finds Demoralize in the Tiger-style tree, so it’s a little funny that Roy got it when agility is his lowest stat

As any good Bear-style combatant would, Roy beat the ever-loving poo poo out of us. But in doing so he burned out almost all his energy. He added Skip Attack to try and recover, but there’s no way that’s going to be enough,

The momentum swung our way, but I got unlucky and Survivor chose to use Skip Attack even though his energy was nearly full, meaning we didn’t secure the kill. It’s okay though.

I trade skip attack for High Punch and we’re off to the races

You can see during round 2 how Survivor decided keeping his stamina at 100 was more important than defeating Roy. And how it tanked as soon as I put High Punch in our skill list.

Now, it’s story time, triggered by getting 3rd in the league

Survivor: Thanks. You look a bit upset Silver, what’s up?

Silver: To tell the truth, I have a bit of a problem with debt. I owe a great deal of money to the local Don.

Survivor: Money? Don? What the hell did you get yourself into? This is about fighting, not money! (Says the man with $250 in his pocket

Now, as much as I’d like to immediately shut this man down, he is letting us train in our gym and fight in his league. So I pick the more diplomatic option

Silver: Well, maybe there is a way out. You could go to Mick and tell him everything. I’m sure he could think of a way out.

-Black Transition Screen- Time to Visit Mick

Survivor: It’s Silver. He owes money to some gangster and asked me for help. He wanted me to throw a fight.

Mick: He did that himself you know. He used to be a champ and lost everything

Mick: I took the medallion after your father’s death. You were too small to have it’s power. In the right hands, it’s able to do fantastic things

Survivor: Artifact? This is… weird. I guess I should ask Silver to give it back, since it’s mine to have.

Survivor seems really blase about this whole thing. We just got a big lore drop and he’s just like “Okay, that’s weird.” That said, I get the distinct feeling Silver isn’t the most trustworthy person to have that item…

-Black Transition Screen- “drat it Silver…”

Silver: I guess this had to happen someday… You see, I don’t have it. I gave it to the Don to cover the debts I told you about.

Survivor: You have him a magical artifact? That gangster? What’s wrong with you?

Silver: I didn’t know what to do! He said he would kill me and my family.

Survivor: Calm down. I guess I should go and visit Don then.

Don’t talk about joining the family like it’s a good thing… I guess Silver told us where to find The Don offscreen because we’ve got a new location on the map

There he is. I guess we just walk up to him? His idle animation is drinking his coffee/tea.

The Don: Really? Well then. I do have that… thing. But I;ve got plans of my own for it.

Survivor: Could I offer you something in exchange?

The Don: Let me think… Maybe. I see you are a fighter? There will be a big fight soon. You could participate.

Survivor: And if I win? Will you give me the medallion?

The Don: Of course! The only thing is… you should have a professional card to attend.

Survivor: But I don’t have that card yet.

This is another long-term project. We need to finish the junior league, and then get started on an entirely new league to get this card. This is one of the steps to enter… I guess you would call it Act 2?

I’ve been walking around with a ot of money and still haven’t gotten mugged, so I just buy the treadmill. Now we can maintain our stamina training even without going to Silver’s gym.

Upon going home we find the briefcase lit up again, leading us to the warehouse.

As you may notice, the environment has actually changed. Some crates are missing and the random planks of wood imply one or more have been opened.

Survivor: Let me guess, you’ve been robbed?

Mr. Y: Not me, but some cardboard boxes were taken from here! (They’re clearly wood man…)

Survivor: And it was done by a posse in animal masks?

Mr. Y: Yes! How do you know anything about it? Are you somehow implicated in this?

Survivor: No, no, no, Not at all! But see, I have this suitcase…

(Depending on our choices, this statement can become blatantly false)

Mr. Y: Hmm… Well, you’ll understand if I keep my eye on you.

(just wanted to catch the lightning strike)

I think the birth of a new superhero is a pretty good place to end this update.

Now that we’ve become the Dark Fist, our briefcase will allow us to choose when to fight crime, and when to just live our life. No longer will it take control away to send us to a random corner of the world. I do appreciate the content that was added by the Dark Fist update, but I’m very annoyed that it repeatedly forces you to travel around town whenever you enter your house

A lot happened this session huh? I forgot (again) to take a look at our goal screen, but I can still roughly remember what we’re up to. Our long-term goals are

1. Win the beginners league at Silver’s gym, so we can move on to a bigger league and get that official fighter’s card.
2. Make it to the yellow grade in the “Ultimate Fights” to unlock bigger and badder foes
3. Win 3 street fights for the amusement of Tyler.
4. Fight the other Crocodile Ninja brothers in the sewer
5. Investigate the crime spree as The Dark Fist.

When you lay it all out like that, we’ve got a lot to do huh? Tune in next time when we attempt to crack down on crime, get our rear end kicked a few times, and consider taking performance-enhancing potions!

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Good to see that Survivor is still a complete dork. Somehow I feel that this won't end well for him.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Solarium posted:

Good to see that Survivor is still a complete dork. Somehow I feel that this won't end well for him.

The first thing I did after this was open the suitcase, run right into a fight we weren't ready for, and get my rear end handed to me.

I don't consider this a spoiler, just funny.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Now that we saw his full name and got a better look at him, Roy is probably a reference to the similarly named Ray Jackson from the movie Bloodsport. Ray is the strong but inelegant bruiser Frank Dux befriends shortly after arriving in Kowloon Walled City for the Kumite.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Hell yes I love this game, and just started playing the sequel a few days ago (currently on sale for 40% off on steam!)

Stat decay is pretty rough at first but once you wrap your head around it a bit it makes sense in the gameplay loop of the game imo, I get why people don't like this particular brand of plate-spinning though. The second game doing away with it completely has been interesting.

I think the thread has pointed out most of the references I caught, but I strongly suspect a lot of the fighters you run into in the leagues are also references in one way or another (for example the first guy, Song Mo, is likely a reference to Tong Po from the Van Damme movie Kickboxer, while the second fight of Hexor Lamacho is likely late Puerto Rican boxer Hector Camacho:)

The arcade cabinet in Mick's office is a reference to Karate Champ, one of the earliest (successful) examples of a 1 vs 1 fighting game.

In Casey's restaurant, Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta from Pulp Fiction are at a table:

The sporting goods clerk looks like Mr Clean but I don't know if that's a reference or not lol

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Update 6: Performance Enhancing “Potions”

As you might remember from the last update, we became the Dark Fist in a very dramatic scene on top of a building. After that Survivor was tired, so he took a nap. But now that we’re well-rested, it’s time to use our briefcase to track down crime!

This time it’s led us to a biker camp. It’s worth mentioning that right now we can only come here through the Dark Fist briefcase. We can come here through other means by following other questlines, but right now the only reason we have to come here is to fight crime as the Dark Fist.

Also yes, that guy to the right is the guy who mugged us at the start of the game, Big Bobo. Bobo’s idle animation is to adjust his grip on his bat. The other guy’s idle animation is to drink his beer.

Guy with Beer Bottle (He has a name, but I can’t check it since we can’t freely explore the park): But seriously. We have some troubles in the camp. Some of our dogs are missing.

The Dark Fist: Did some guys in animal masks steal them?

Guy with Beer Bottle: Yes! Bobo said so. He caught one, but they were too strong, even for Bobo.

Survivor: How many dogs are missing?

Guy with Beer Bottle: One or two have been disappearing every night. We’re going to ambush them later today, catch those bastards in the act. We could do with some help from a strong guy in a mask.

If these guys are really stronger than Bobo, this may be a mistake.

Guy with Beer Bottle: Great! Bobo and I will hide near those boxes. You stay here and watch the dogs.

Dark Fist: I am the Dark Fist! Leave those dogs alone!

I was considering making the update title “Don’t Sue Us!” because this reference seems pretty blatant, even for Punch Club. Also, we’re screwed.

Beesteady (I wonder if his partner’s name is Rockbop?) has a mix of Bear and Turtle-style moves. The Paw Punch is a powerful but expensive punch, Powerful Uppercut is fairly weak but accurate and damages our stamina, he has the Exhauster strike modifier which causes all his attacks to deal stamina damage, and Iron Curtain is an upgraded block. On top of that, he’s got two traits. Fine Block improves blocking, and Shining Knight is familiar to us, it reduces damage based on stamina.

Unlike the earlier fights where a knockdown put the fight firmly in our favor, this time it’s basically just us playing catchup. His stamina is high enough that at the end of every round, he regains a hefty chunk, and his HP is much, much higher than ours. If we were dealing more damage or had more HP we would have room to catch up, but by the time we enter the 3rd round, we’re on our last legs.

We had a good run, but we very desperately needed more bulk to compete here. We’ll come back once we’ve trained a bit

Thankfully the Dark Fist fights have very forgiving penalties for a loss. I think it’s because they’re DLC, they knew it would be disruptive if you got absolutely destroyed before one of your weekly bouts.

Survivor, you’ve lost Dark Fist privileges until you bulk up. A hero has to be able to, you know. Save people.

Guy with Beer Bottle: Next time we will do it!

Survivor: Yeah, but I need to prepare myself better.

I wasn’t joking earlier, as soon as we leave the biker park it’s taken off the map. We can’t go back unless we’re on Dark Fist business.

We may have lost against Beesteady, but I realize it’s time for an ultimate fight and go sign ourselves up. And look who it is! Roy’s stats have actually improved since last time, he’s got one more stamina and agility since the last time we fought, but the same skillset.

It’s kind of close actually, but we win.

I hope we didn’t actually hurt Roy. Since if we lose these fights we get messed up.

After that we’ve got enough skill points for a new skill, so I pop on over and grab Paw Punch. In hindsight I probably would have chosen a different skill, but oh well. Paw Punch is powerful but expensive, which means we’re probably going to hold onto it until enemies are tired, and then use it for the final beatdown.

We go home, eat, nap, sorry I’m not spending much time talking about what we’re doing, but most of it is pretty basic. Our fridge still has food from my spending spree earlier.

I go back to Silver and spend $20 for a sparring fight. Silver has all the basic moves so even though he’s got 5s in every stat he’s a bit of a joke. We almost knocked him down but fell just short.

We’re full of energy and food so it’s time to train! My goal is to get us to 6 stamina, for reasons which will become clear later.

We start on the treadmill, go to the sledgehammer for a bit, and then the squat bar. I took a picture at the end of the day so you could really see out progress.

We ended the session a little bit later because Survivor is tired and hungry.

We go home, stuff our face with two steaks, and the fridge is empty once more. So it’s time to go to work. I work a little over one shift, but I’d rather not fill it up this time.

I confess I was going to get Roy to help us train again. But I wanted to see what would happen at the bar.

I don’t know why it says it gives 5 skill points. It gives 10. Incidentally enough for us to get a new move!

Hard Block is an improved block that serves as a counterattack. If we block an attack from someone, they take some of the damage back as a retaliation. It’s also a prerequisite for Meat Runner 2, which prevents us from losing Stamina if our Stamina is 8 or above. That will be important later.

I could spend money to go to Silver’s Gym and spend time getting Roy to train with us, but right now I really want us to be at Stamina 6, so I hit the treadmill in our garage.

A few hours later we’re at Stamina 6 and ready for our latest fighter in the minor league.

Yeah… we’re boned. This guy is gonna rip us to shreds. His Trait is Infinite Energy, which means he uses skills at 30% of their cost when his stamina is 25% or lower. This means he spends energy normally most of the time, but becomes very difficult to drain to 0. He also has the Backhanded Punch, which is powerful and expensive, Power Block which raises his strength after a successful block, and Thunderbolt, which steals the enemy’s energy on a successful strike. Fun Fact, Thunderbolt is the ultimate technique from Way of the Bear.

(Not really, I never even got it during my Way of the Bear playthrough, but it is at the end of their skill tree)

By the end of the first round, he has a good lead, and he’s also sussed out that our personal brand of defense is guarding, so he’s popped in a Strike Modifier which reduces the effect of blocks.

I’m honestly amazed that we pushed him this far. Hard Block did a lot of work for us. That said, it’s actually a good thing this happened.

After the fight, Silver strikes up a conversation.

Survivor: That sounds great Silver, but you know magic isn’t real right?

Silver: ha-ha. You can call it magic, but my friend calls it science. If you’re interested meet him at the sports equipment store. He’ll have the details.

Hey… that mug looks familiar. Let’s go meet him

I feel like “Potion Vendor” might be a reference to the Potion Seller meme. Not sure

Survivor: Are you the guy with the magic tricks?

Potion Vendor: Magic? No, no, no… it’s science! I have potions which will make you harder, better, faster, stronger… (That one’s a reference to a Daft Punk song)

Survivor: hmm… Sounds really great! (If you haven’t picked up on it, Survivor’s not very bright)

Potion Vendor: Yeah, it is! There are some side effects, of course, but nothing too serious. And definitely, nothing that would stop a courageous guy like you!

After this conversation, we can buy this man’s potions, which are probably exactly what you expect. Each one boosts a stat by 2 points for a few days, at which point the boost vanishes. I’ve been told that if you go long enough without buying any he gives you a discount, and if you buy too many he raises the price and your character becomes reliant on them.

I’ve never seen either event. I only use these in special cases.

Anyway, we’re not ready to handle his strongest potions, so the next order of business is to fill our empty fridge before I forget. We buy 2 slabs of beef, go home, eat, take a nap, eat again, and at the end of day 27 we’re ready to go get Roy and Adrian’s help training.

Similar to Roy, Adrian requires that you talk with her or give her a gift before you get any benefits. Talking takes time and energy but produces happiness and raises her affection. Once her affection is maxed out, you can use “fall in love” to get the “In Love” buff from earlier.

After spending half a day I get impatient and hit “Fall in Love” too soon.

Adrian: Are we actually together? It seems that you just don’t have time for me.

Survivor: I see that I really do. I promise I will try harder to be better.

Whoops my bad. So we keep talking to her for a while longer. And it looks like it takes about 3/4ths of a day to get the benefits from “Fall in Love” which is a long time, but it lasts for 4 days so… I can see why.

It’s hard to see, but those little pink hearts show that we’re ready to Fall in Love.

Fall in Love starts the same way as last time, but this time Adrian responds.

Adrian: Aww, sweety I’m happy too.

Survivor: Of course! I will always have time for you

It’s probably a bad sign for their relationship that I’m only doing it for the buff…

I was planning on getting Roy’s help to train too, but that took most of the day, so we need to shape up a bit before our next Ultimate fight. I go home and hit the Treadmill until we’re back at 6 Stamina, then it’s time to fight.

This guy is our statistical better in every way, but we’re going to beat him. He’s got Headbutt, Iron Curtain, and Paw Punch, which you should all recognize by now. He also had a Block Modifier that makes his blocks better at the cost of increased stamina cost, and Lowkick which reduces our stamina and agility.

I think you can tell where this is going. By the time Round 2 rolls around he’s abandoned the Block modifier and Paw Punch due to his flagging stamina.

We knocked him down 3 times in Round 2 alone. This guy was getting destroyed!

Sadly I forgot that Ultimate Fights give out reduced skill points, to balance out the money gains I suppose. I need more skill points before I can do the clever thing I have planned. Don’t worry though, I know where to get some skill points

We actually beat Silver this time. Now whenever we come by with $20 we can freely demolish Silver for 3 skill points. Still not enough for what I have planned though.

We also need money, so I work a full day at the construction site

We go home and sleep till Day 30 rolls around, stuff our face with 2 slabs of beef, and we’re going back to Roy’s house. Just like with Adrian, we can’t get Roy to help us without helping him first.

Roy: Yeah, fella. Training with a partner is way more effective! But I still need to fix by car… It’s still burnt out from before. You want to help me out? You scratch my back and all that…

It turns out we only had to help him for a few minutes before he was ready.

On the car front at least. Roy also wants to chill with us for a bit. The conversation starts the same, but instead of talking about the car Roy says

And he’s ready to help us, literally after the first tick that we’ve sit down. The best I can figure is that the points for helping Roy and chilling with him build up even after he’s ready to train with you. So if he’s ready, but you keep hitting the engine or sitting with him, it will carry over for next time.

He’s ready to train with us and will meet us in the gym, but it’s also fight day, so to kill 2 birds with one stone I open the menu and accept the challenge.

We’ve fought Kick Sloan before, and his stats and movies haven’t changed. We’re actually a lot weaker than we were when we fought him the first time, but we still win. As always, the energy expenditure on Paw Punch gives us an edge. As does his utter lack of strength

Now we have enough skill points to enact my plan… But we need to bulk up first. So into the gym, we go! Here’s our condition at the start…

And at the end of the day. I only need our Stamina to go to 6, so I decided to do some general training. In hindsight, this may have been a mistake.

Now… I’ll just admit straight up that this was a mistake. I opened the map to go get what I needed to complete my plan, but I noticed we had a notification for an Ultimate fight. Instead of continuing our training, or getting the thing I needed, I decided to enter the fight.

I want to say the name Trevor is a reference to GTA 5 but, I’m not sure on that. Also, this man is going to kill us. No perks but he’s got Block, Paw Punch, Powerful Uppercut, Karate Kick, and that dodge on the end there is called Crossroads. It’s a counterattack. Despite having a similar stat spread to our earlier combatants, Trevor has high enough stats to use them.

It really doesn’t matter that we knocked him down. He has a high enough HP lead that we’re just dead. And sure enough, next round it’s over.

Out of all the injuries, you had to pick this one again? It’s okay though, because I am about to show you my clever trick.

See, the potions this guy sells allow us to raise our stats by 2 points for a few days.

And Meat Runner means that our Stamina won’t fall below 8 points.

At the end of the next 2 days, our Stamina buff will wear out, but our Stamina will still be at 8 points. So I’m going to suspect Stamina training for a bit (at the end of the 2 days the buff will drain stamina, even if the stamina was technically gained through legitimate means) and focus on buffing our other stats.

Oh also, I finally remembered to look at the progress tree. Here you can see the early game tree, and the start of the Dark Fist storyline.

This one has the Ultimate Fight line, Roy, Adrian, Tyler (we gotta go finish his Street fights at some point) and the crocodile bros.

Those two greyed-out ones on the left are for the ultimate fight and winning the rookie league, while to the right we have the Don representing what we have to work towards. Also, the chapter is called “The Choice.” We’ll get to that later.

Anyway, I’ll be ending this update here. Despite Survivor's broken leg, we're actually in good shape going forward. Our new floor for Stamina is 8. We won't be able to raise it efficiently for a while with our broken leg, but we can take that time to raise our strength and agility a bit.

That trick with the potion and the "floor" skills like Meat Runner is one of my favorite tricks in the game. You can basically raise a stat by 2, for $40 as long as you have enough skill points to grab the "floor" skill right after taking the potion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The stat decay mechanic seems kind of annoying but it's also kind of neat how the game encourages you to train really hard specifically to get ready for a fight, then you can have a bit of a cooling off period afterwards before getting back into your best condition.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Hopefully the official leagues don’t run tests for performance enhancing magic potions, or else Survivor might have some trouble.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

RabidWeasel posted:

The stat decay mechanic seems kind of annoying but it's also kind of neat how the game encourages you to train really hard specifically to get ready for a fight, then you can have a bit of a cooling off period afterwards before getting back into your best condition.

It's neat for sure, and definitely has an interesting vibe where you have to manage your time instead of devoting it all to training and powering up. But I do think it's somewhat... annoying. In most games your stats just go up and up, unless there's some kind of curse or penalty or level drain, which is usually a very, very bad thing to have happen and best avoided.

I'm kinda glad Punch Club 2 dropped it.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Hopefully the official leagues don’t run tests for performance enhancing magic potions, or else Survivor might have some trouble.

As if they could test for magic potions... Now if it was science, we would have to be worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I think the stat decay system creates an interesting challenge but it probably could have been implemented better. Most games with that kind of system either cause stats to decay from lack of use or as a counterbalance for other stats increasing i.e. like the older versions of Final Fantasy 2 where physical stats going up can cause magical ones to fall and vice versa. I have to imagine your stats just constantly going down as a matter of course feels very not great.